The march towards dictatorship continues: Chavez given 'rule by decree' power (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:14:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The march towards dictatorship continues: Chavez given 'rule by decree' power (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The march towards dictatorship continues: Chavez given 'rule by decree' power  (Read 1663 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« on: January 19, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »

I've never understood how any political body could ever vote to make itself irrelevant.  And yes, that applies to what the Reichstag did for Hitler, too.

Given that 100% of the Venezuelan National Assembly are Chavez-supporters, they'd probably let him rape each of their grandmothers if he asked them first.  Something tells me that boycotting the last elections probably wasn't such a good idea for his opponents.

They're Chavez-supporters, but they're also politicians themselves, which is where my lack of understanding comes from.  Why would anyone put himself out of a job?

Because any power, position, money, and station is controled by their loyalty to the state and, more specifically to Chavez. So if they want to keep their position, status, wealth, and good quality of living they will go along with whatever Chavez desires.

If this doesn't tell you that Chavez is a dictator, or at least dictatorial in the way he governs, I don't know what will.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 10:29:53 PM »

So... how is being able to rule by decree not being a dictator?

So the next time the President of the United States signs an executive order, are you're going to say that's a dictatorship?

You seem to be saying that ever since Bush got elected.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies