The new ten dollar bill to have a woman (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 07:46:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The new ten dollar bill to have a woman (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The new ten dollar bill to have a woman  (Read 11740 times)
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« on: April 19, 2016, 01:13:12 AM »

Thank god, Hamilton lives.  Thank you Broadway.
I hope we don't go all PC and get rid of Jackson just for the trail of tears.  That madman is one of the quintessential American characters and an extraordinarily significant president in every way.
Honestly I'd like to see Teddy make it onto a bill before any of our women.

Harriet Tubman was basically a folk hero.  Take gender and race out of the equation and Audie Murphy is just as deserving.
Rosa Parks didn't really do much after her bus sit-down.  She was Jim Conyers' secretary for a while.  MLK is much more deserving of currency, but the dude already has his own federal holiday.
Eleanor Roosevelt is a good choice for her foundational work in the United Nations.
Helen Keller is also an inspirational folk hero.  She had little actual influence and much of her political work stemmed from her fervent communism.
Susan B. Anthony is the real deal.

I have to say though, and this will be very controversial, but I think our currency should be optimistic, forward-looking, and reflect American leadership and great successes.  I don't really like the idea of putting figures on our currency who are famous for their work fixing big problems in our society, like suffragettes or civil rights leaders.  It just feels like being the guy at the party who wants to tell everyone about how he's been sober for 12 years or something.  You can make the argument that a key component of our leadership and image is the way that democracy and peaceful protest can, uniquely in America, bring about positive change, but can we highlight out great successes and big leaders, like FDR, on our paper instead of highlighting the dark parts of our past and our shame and the people who fixed them?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies