Question about Pennsyltucky (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 10:57:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Question about Pennsyltucky (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question about Pennsyltucky  (Read 8663 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« on: November 03, 2013, 06:26:53 PM »

I was about to mention coal, but then I found this map:

Oddly enough, the coalfields in PA are mostly confined to the western portion of the state, and cover less than half of the state overall, so energy/environmental issues likely don't have a large impact on the voting patterns of central PA the way they do in other coal states.

which is why western PA historically supported Democrats up until recently. It votes kind of like West Virginia and is prone to the same political trends.

There doesn't appear to be any kind of coal industry in central PA which explains why it has been more historically Republican.

No, but the people who took the coal and made it into things like iron and steel were located in central and eastern Pennsylvania. So you had steelworkers in what was up until the early 20th century a very anti-labor environment and may have been more inclined to vote Republican as a result; and all of the engineers, managers, factory owners, bankers and lawyers working in the steel industry who were voting Republican out of self-interest.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 12:00:30 AM »

It doesn't actually exist. The historically prosperous (and very German, for whatever that's worth) manufacturing towns between Philly and Harrisburg don't have a lot in common with the much more genuinely rural far north of the state. And so on and so forth.

No, but the people who took the coal and made it into things like iron and steel were located in central and eastern Pennsylvania.

!?!?!

Rather famously, the main centre of the steel industry in Pennsylvania was Pittsburgh.

I think people are thinking of Bethlehem Steel, whose failure happens to be particularly famous.

That is exactly what I was thinking of. I've been to Bethlehem before and it's such a sad place...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies