Which of the following languages would you rather learn? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:56:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which of the following languages would you rather learn? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Arabic

Chinese

French

German

Italian

Spanish

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: Which of the following languages would you rather learn?  (Read 1446 times)
Storebought
YaBB God
« on: June 28, 2014, 12:05:22 PM »

I've studied German for years in high school and afterwards, but I'm still at best intermediate at reading it and beginner at understanding it spoken.

Everyone in LA is taught French in elementary school, but I haven't picked it up since. I'd like to, however.

I took one semester of Spanish, and it bored me out of my skull.

I'm also investigating a language not on this list -- Russian. I've gotten pretty good at deciphering cyrillic script, even the handwritten and italic version, which is nothing at all like printed Russian. It's surprisingly easier to read than Polish.

I know two words in Chinese mandarin.

Classical Greek is also entertaining until I realize I have better uses of my time than studying Classical Greek.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 11:45:36 AM »

I wish; I went to a Catholic school in New Orleans for elementary and they just had Spanish. I probably would have liked French more.

EBR public schools all offered French starting in elementary grades, and this was the during the mid 80s.

Most elementary schools don't teach foreign languages at all, which is huge shame. Even beyond the benefits of actually knowing another language, it has been shown to improve cognitive development. Foreign language education should be mandatory starting in elementary school. It makes no sense to wait until high school (as most schools do) before offering foreign languages.

And this is odd, too. Isn't foreign language instruction begun at least in middle school (6th-9th grade)?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies