SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: The Judiciary (UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:35:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: The Judiciary (UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE STANDING COMMITTEE: The Judiciary (UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT)  (Read 6475 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« on: August 13, 2012, 03:19:49 PM »

With two failed judicial proposals already, it is probably a better idea to focus on other priorities. The Constitution is difficult to amend and the Court has no significant problems requiring immediate attention. While a five member Court could be interesting and allow more access to the judicial branch for players, I believe our efforts could be best directed at policy measures at this moment in history.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 08:43:10 PM »

Damn it, I deleted that post..oh well, my point was that this committee should give its opinion and then if Senators want to raise additional concerns they can propose amendments. Mr. Moderate suggested an amendment to me for example, to include gender identity.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 08:50:25 PM »

Damn it, I deleted that post..oh well, my point was that this committee should give its opinion and then if Senators want to raise additional concerns they can propose amendments. Mr. Moderate suggested an amendment to me for example, to include gender identity.

They can do that too, but since Clarence already raised some concerns, they can be worked out just as well in the committee.

That's fine, whether they are discussed here or on the floor, but my personal opinion is that the concerns he posted are either illegitimate or rooted in ideological opposition to the concept, and cannot be reconciled with the aims of the amendment. I would rather discuss such concerns at greater length with all Senators present, if I am called upon.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 03:01:27 PM »

The Committee will now consider the Constitutional amendment authored by the Administration and introduced by myself.

AN AMENDMENT

To ensure the equal protection of all genders n the Republic of Atlasia.

Be it enacted by 2/3 of the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia.

SECTION ONE. TITLE

This amendment may be cited as the 'Equal Rights Amendment.'

SECTION TWO. AMENDMENT

1.) Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by Atlasia or by any Region on account of sex or sexual orientation towards adults.

2.) The Senate shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

First, I would like to formally give the President the opportunity to speak on behalf of his amendment.  In doing so, I would like him to address the concerns that Senate Clarence raised so we can work out any quirks in a timely fashion.

(Yes, I will be speaking in defense of the amendment, as well. Tongue)

You already addressed Senator Clarence's opposition, I have little to add. I will be referring the Attorney General to this committee.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 11:33:25 PM »

The constitutionality of this should be determined.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 11:43:46 PM »

I don't know. I was hoping you all could handle that part. Wink
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 01:39:17 AM »

Is the PPT actually going to bring the Go To the Doctor Instead Act to the Senate floor? It literally does nothing. Your committee could just skip over it if you find time to be short.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies