Platform Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 02:33:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Platform Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Platform Discussion  (Read 5896 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« on: December 19, 2004, 01:40:26 AM »

Well, I have finally gotten around to it.  You all know what this party stands for at its core and those of you who have joined have done soon because you believe in the ideals of the party.  Now let us see if we can hammer out a more specific platform that every member of the Freedom Party can be proud of.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 03:21:30 AM »

I'll start with some issues to get us moving:  Abortion, Capital Punishment, Tax policy
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2004, 02:48:30 PM »

I agree with Ford on all the stuff he said.

ABortion is not an issue really linked to the core of the party's beliefs, so I'm not sure whether it should be included or not. I'd favour a centrist policy, but I'm open to suggestions.

Capital Punishment is sort of similar. I'm personally against it, in times of peace.

On tax policy, we should support some sort of progressive tax, but a generally low tax level that encourages business and hard work.

I agree with you that John Ford's foriegn policy is very good.  I would add that strong relations with India would act as an effective counter-balance to Chinese power.  We need to work hard, however, to resolve the differences between India and Pakistan.  Both are key allies for us and I see both as being important to the world's future.

I must dissagree with you, Gus.  I think that abortion and capital punishment go to the heart of this party.  As a populist party, we must see that these issues are crucial to the average people of Atlasia.

I propose that we take a middle road that reflects the compassion of the party, but does not ignore present realities.  We cannot overturn the culture of abortion in our country, but we can do everything in the power of this government to convince a woman to take a baby to term.  We should loosen adoption restrictions, create federally funded programs that provide for maternity training and expenses.  After the child is born, the government should do everything in its power to assure that an unwed, unpartnered mother has some form of job training and monitary protection.  These programs wouldn't cost that much, I would have to run some numbers, but it could be done for a small cost to the government and tax payers and the benefits to society would be worth it.  Granted, there would be abuses, but that is an exceptable cost toward saving lives.

Capital Punishment should be voided for all but the worst of offenders (large scale drug dealers, mass murderers, terrorists).  I think that we should work on rehabilitation through spiritual means of some sort, for lifers.  We should also figure out something that these people can do for the community, once rehabilitated (for instance, training dogs for the blind).  In the end, this would benefit society in tangable and intangable ways, making us all better for it in the end.

Well, what do you guys think?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 02:40:02 AM »

On abortion, we should endorse the measures Super suggested because our job is to make it easier for citizens to make responsible choices, but I agree with Gus that abortion should not be a central issue.  It tends to divide people.  We should welcome pro-life and pro-chocie members and do everything we can to discourage abortions.

We should not, however, shy away from parental notification and partial birth abortion laws.  Reasonable people can disagree about whether abortion is wrong, but I think some of the periphery questions related to abortion are not in doubt.

Agree with Gus 100% on taxes, agree that the death penalty should only be used in extreme cases like terrorism or treason.

I should have phrased that better, the right to abortion, per se should remain a non-party issue, but preventence of it, though a social safty net should be a central issues.  I agree with Gus's tax policy as well.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 01:52:10 AM »

You all know what this party stands for at its core

Sorry, I wasn't around during the formation of the party. Is there a link as to the party's origins and broad purposes?

Don't feel left out, I was the only member for about 2 1/2 weeks, so no one was really there for the formation of the party.  Here is the thread that started it all, however...

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=12819.0
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 08:19:35 PM »

Common fellas.  Lets get yapping.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 02:00:31 AM »

Once again, I see no objections to the Platform proposals of John Ford.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2004, 09:10:15 PM »

I agree with most everything here, John.  Except...

Forum Issues

Seperation of Powers- The Presidency has not produced great leaders.  Part of the problem is that President's have to deal with a disorganized Senate that moves at a snails pace.  The President had ought to have the power to introduce bills directly to the Senate with the power of refendum, meaning no amendments to the bill (like in the French system).  This will bring about a more effective institution of the Presidency and better governance for the Forum.  He had also ought to have the ower of Line Item Veto.  Any Line Item Veto would have to be overridden by 2/3s of the Senate, as with other bills.

The French President is practically a dictator.  I fear that such a broad violation of seperation of powers would lead to a strictly Presidential system.  As Vice-President I introduced a few bills.  I simply convince a Senator to sponser the legislation.  I find that this system works well enough.

GM Reform- The GM should be reactive not proactive.  There are enough real-world crises like North Korea and Iraq to keep us all busy.  He had ought to replace his duty as scenario generator with one as the arbiter of the economy.  He will, on a monthly basis, generate based on government policy a GDP growth rate, an unemployment rate, and an inflation rate so the government may determine the state of the economy and make policy based on this.  In the beginning, this will be based on the actual numbers from real life, but will change according to government policy.

I disagree with the idea that the GM should be purely economic.  Our actions world-wide are going to be different from those of the acctual United States and thus will result in different outcomes.  Perhapes two GM's one for domestic and one for foriegn policy would be in order.

Senate Districts- Senators should be elected frm Regions, not districts.  Citizens are now numerous enough to allow this, whereas before there weren't enough voters in each region.  Voters should have the same pair of Senators and the same set of fellow constituents each time around.  Their Senators had also ought to represent something permament and with its own historic identity.  Re-districting has become increasingly convoluted, leading to charges of gerrymandering and undermining the process.  This can be rectified by electing Senators by region again.

I strongly dissagree.  Frequent shifts in population mandate that we must have some sort of balancing system.  The districts do just that.  Also, we want this to be fun and competitive.  If we don't have conditions that can shift then incumbency will basically rule the day.

Alos, it gives parties some incentive to want to control the governorships.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2004, 12:36:59 AM »

GM Reform- The GM should be reactive not proactive.  There are enough real-world crises like North Korea and Iraq to keep us all busy.  He had ought to replace his duty as scenario generator with one as the arbiter of the economy.  He will, on a monthly basis, generate based on government policy a GDP growth rate, an unemployment rate, and an inflation rate so the government may determine the state of the economy and make policy based on this.  In the beginning, this will be based on the actual numbers from real life, but will change according to government policy.

I disagree with the idea that the GM should be purely economic.  Our actions world-wide are going to be different from those of the acctual United States and thus will result in different outcomes.  Perhapes two GM's one for domestic and one for foriegn policy would be in order.

I didn't mean that the GM would purely economic, but that he'd add an economic component to his existing foreign policy role.

Okay, thank you for the clarification.  I would support that.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2004, 04:17:51 AM »

I strongly approve of this platform and thank John Ford and all others who contributed to its development.  On this platform, we can stand tall and fight for our vision of a better world and a better Atlasia and we should be proud of who we are and what we have accomplished and what we will achomplish in the future.

I will open the voting.  All those who are party members and approve of this platform, say "Aye".  All opposed "Nay".

I will begin:

Aye
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2004, 02:42:22 PM »

We only need one more vote to pass, but I would like to make this unanimous.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2004, 06:49:02 PM »

All we need to do is get a hold of Josh and, ummm... is there anyone else?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2004, 07:05:38 PM »

All we need to do is get a hold of Josh and, ummm... is there anyone else?

Gustaf and J-Mann and Wildcard as well, I believe.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Gus and J-Mann for some reason.  I thought that Wildcard left, but I guess he is still here.  Good.

Ummmm... I guess now we have the votes to pass.  I would still like to hear from J-Mann and Gus, though.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2005, 06:14:58 PM »

Excellent.  I declare this platform to be passed unanimously by our party.

Next up:

Who is to be the chairperson, if we want one?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2005, 02:22:27 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2005, 02:24:30 AM by Senator Supersoulty »

Supersoulty should be our chairman, as he is the founder of th party.

Thank You, but I have a cnfession to make, and that is that all of the micromanagement involved is not really my thing.  I get rather discouraged with detail at work and school sometimes.  I would be the best for keeping the party ideologically true to its aims, but if there is another who has the micromanangement skills of, say, Don, I would nominate them in my stead.

I'm more of a big ideas, big picture kind of leader.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2005, 04:20:21 PM »

I warn you all, I ran for president in the GOP primaries, and the Party dissolved immediately, I was picked as a UAC Councillor, and within a month the party dissolved.  I may be a kiss of death.  Remember Patrick Warburton?  He was on "Dave's World", and the show got cancelled, he was on "Seinfeld" and the show got cancelled, every show he was on he was great but the show got cancelled.  You have been warned. Wink

Well, if you've got to compare yourself to Patrick Warburton, at least be the "Seinfeld" version - he was on the show for several seasons as the character "Puddy" before it was cancelled...and that was hardly his fault!

From everything you've written, you look to be the best person for the job - someone with an eye for detail.  You've got my support.

Here, here.  I would trust John Ford, above anyone else to manage the parties affairs and maintain its basic functions.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2005, 01:42:57 AM »

Good Show!

FORD! FORD!! FORD!!!! FORD!!!!!!!!
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2005, 09:51:46 PM »

How bout this?

Europe- A European Superstate dominated by France and Germany is not in America's interests.  Nor is it in Europe's interests.  An economically integrated Europe that favors no one nation, but rather opens European markets to international commerce should be the goal.  European protectionism hurts American businesses and the third world, and it should be ended.  If Europe continues its unfair trade practices, we will work through the WTO to bring about an end to this practice.  The Peace Process in the Balkans has been effective, but we need a more vigorous effort to locate and bring to justice the war criminals like Radko Mladic.

I like that revision.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2005, 10:49:41 PM »

Since obvioulsy members will disagree about specifics, I hope this thrid version is satisfactory to everyone.

Europe- America's alliances with the nations of Europe are among our most important parternships in the world.  We should build on our partnerships within NATO and welcome the nations of Eastern Europe into the Atlantic Alliance.  However, a European Superstate dominated by France and Germany is not in America's interests.  Nor is it in Europe's interests.  An economically integrated Europe that favors no one nation, but rather opens European markets to international commerce should be the goal.  European protectionism hurts American businesses and the third world, and it should be ended.  If Europe continues its unfair trade practices, we will work through the WTO to bring about an end to this practice.  The Peace Process in the Balkans has been effective, but we need a more vigorous effort to locate and bring to justice the war criminals like Radko Mladic and Radovan Karazic.

I agree with this too.  We really need to get this plank nailed down.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies