IRS apologizes for targeting conservative groups in 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 10:38:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  IRS apologizes for targeting conservative groups in 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: IRS apologizes for targeting conservative groups in 2012  (Read 1792 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2013, 10:43:27 PM »

I don't think any groups involved in politics should be tax exempt period. When conservative groups pop up with tons of money to run ads and such, it does raise questions. The IRS has every right to scrutinize applications for tax exempt status if a group seems to be too political to be deemed tax exempt. No organization is entitled to tax exempt status, there are specifications.

The point. Political groups can style themselves as 'educational' when the only 'educating' that they do is to give hints that certain politicians are to be preferred.

You mean like the current President's 501c4?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2013, 10:45:29 PM »

I don't think any groups involved in politics should be tax exempt period. When conservative groups pop up with tons of money to run ads and such, it does raise questions. The IRS has every right to scrutinize applications for tax exempt status if a group seems to be too political to be deemed tax exempt. No organization is entitled to tax exempt status, there are specifications.

The point. Political groups can style themselves as 'educational' when the only 'educating' that they do is to give hints that certain politicians are to be preferred.

If I give money to a political party or the campaign fund of a politician, then I rightly get no tax break. It is not as if I am making a donation to a welfare hospital or famine relief because such is charity from which I have little cause for expecting benefits.

To allow people to take tax deductions for contributions to political campaigns subsidizes people trying to buy political influence. A tax-exempt organization also gets a break on state sales taxes, also a subsidy.

You can call a bull a cow, but it will still not give milk. 

Most of the political-leaning organizations organize as 501(c)(4) social welfare organizations.  While the organizations themselves are generally tax-exempt, contributors are not allowed a tax deduction for their contributions and amounts spent on direct political activity (i.e. advocating a particular candidate) are taxed.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies