If Allard does not run, who will be the Republican nominee in Colorado?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 04:01:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If Allard does not run, who will be the Republican nominee in Colorado?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If Allard does not run, who will be the Republican nominee in Colorado?
Rep. Tom Tancredo

Rep. Marilyn Musgrave

Gov. Bill Owens

Pete Coors

Bob Schaffer

Gale Ann Norton

Other

Allard does run?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: If Allard does not run, who will be the Republican nominee in Colorado?  (Read 1820 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2006, 05:13:21 PM »

Sen. Wayne Allard (R-CO) will "announce next month whether he plans to seek re-election in 2008," reports The Coloradoan.

"Some have speculated Allard will opt against another run, pointing to the slight $122,476 in his campaign war chest."

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2006/12/19/in_colorado_allard_will_decide_next_month.html

If Allard does not run, who would the GOP nominate and what would their prospects against Udall be in the general?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 05:19:57 PM »

Where is Bill Owens...unless something's changed he'd be the best opponent in a state trending Democratic, and very quickly.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 05:20:11 PM »

I hope and pray it will be either Tancredo or Musgrave -the election will be a blow-out for Udall in either scenario. 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 05:21:07 PM »

Owens would be the best option that I can see, but I somehow doubt he'd be interested.  If Tancredo or Musgrave run, we'd see a repeat of the FL 2006 frantic struggle to find somebody better to run instead.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 06:19:30 PM »

Owens is the only one that could make the race close, and with the way the state is trending Udall would more than likely beat Owens, especially in a year that looks like Colorado will go Dem on the Pres level 9does depend on the candidates oviously, but generic Dem ve generic GOP its Dem on the Pres level) which helps carry Udall over Owens.  Anyone other than Owens you can annoit Udall as the new senator
InsideTheBeltway
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 06:56:57 PM »

Another possibility is former Rep. Scott McInnis from the third district, who retired in 2004.  Probably wouldn't be as strong as Owens, but not quite the firebrand that Musgrave or Tancredo is.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 07:16:26 PM »

I haven't even thought of Marilyn Musgrave running before.

Man, what is it with Republicans nominating insane women for Senate? 
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 07:20:28 PM »

Another possibility is former Rep. Scott McInnis from the third district, who retired in 2004. 

I think he's the most likely candidate.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 07:23:08 PM »

Another possibility is former Rep. Scott McInnis from the third district, who retired in 2004. 

I think he's the most likely candidate.

Agreed.
Deano963

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 07:41:58 PM »

I hope and pray it will be either Tancredo or Musgrave -the election will be a blow-out for Udall in either scenario. 

That would be nice. The DSCC and and the DNC would not have to waste a dime on the race and could spend their money on other races. But I also believe that Scott McInnis is the most likely nominee.

But I can dream that Tancredo willl be the nominee. Smiley  He would be the male version of Katherine Harris.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 07:45:53 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2006, 07:49:19 PM by Senator BRTD »

Owens has already said no.

That leaves them with pretty slim choices, since all the current congressional reps are nutjobs. Not much else besides McInnis, who probably wouldn't have retired if he had any interest in the Senate.

Maybe they can get Schaefer to try again. He might've been a better candidate than that idiot Coors actually.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 10:20:29 PM »

Another seat for us.
Soaring Eagle

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 10:34:56 PM »

Owens has already said no.

That leaves them with pretty slim choices, since all the current congressional reps are nutjobs. Not much else besides McInnis, who probably wouldn't have retired if he had any interest in the Senate.

Maybe they can get Schaefer to try again. He might've been a better candidate than that idiot Coors actually.

McInnis retired because he was keeping a term limit pledge.

Anyway, I hope and pray the nominee is Tancredo.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 10:42:24 PM »

McInnis retired because he was keeping a term limit pledge.

Wait, a politician actually did that?  I'm shocked.

Anyway, I hope it's Tancredo, but it probably won't be.  At least, GOPers better hope it's not.
Rococo4

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 12:45:44 PM »

If Allard runs, I dont see why people are guarenteing he will lose.....the guy is a 2 term Senator.  Udall is as left as Allard is right.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 01:19:08 PM »

Allard won by 51%-46% in both 1996 and 2002.  Hardly strong performances, particularly as in 2002 Bill Owens was being re-elected 62%-33%.  He also has a very depleted campaign chest, suggesting he is not running again.  He also originally pledged not to seek more than two terms in office in 1996 and has so far not indicated whether he is running or not.  In any case, if he did run he would face a competetive race in a battleground state. 
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 12:33:07 AM »

If Allard runs, I dont see why people are guarenteing he will lose.....the guy is a 2 term Senator.  Udall is as left as Allard is right.

the state is moving leftward (and quickly at that) chances are the Dems pick it up on the Pres level in 08.  allard's approvals aren't good and really never have been.  Udall is well liked and respected state wide, also likley to have a large $$ advantage (which he currently has)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies