Boy Scouts Lifts Ban on Gay Scout Leaders (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 05:17:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Boy Scouts Lifts Ban on Gay Scout Leaders (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Boy Scouts Lifts Ban on Gay Scout Leaders  (Read 2928 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« on: July 27, 2015, 09:40:30 PM »

God, wonder if my church will still charter my troop. Hope so???

Any church that would stop sponsoring the Boy Scouts because other troops can officially have gay leaders (and in actuality have had them for decades) doesn't need to be sponsoring the Scouts anyway.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 06:18:45 PM »

As an Eagle Scout, I am pleased to hear this! However, we still need to have a conversation about the restrictions on the non-religious and about dropping the B from BSA.

Obviously we should drop the rarely-enforced ban on atheists (what teenager has a coherent, well-developed set of religious views anyway?), but I see no reason to open it up to people who identify as female. Transboys are fine (and I suspect there's probably already some in it anyway, in trans-positive troops).

Or, maybe the Girl Scouts could be folded into the Boy Scout organization, but with gender-specific troops. The last thing my old troop needed on our camping trips was girls with us.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 07:15:56 AM »

It needs to be pointed out that the Scouts are NOT a Christian organization. There are troops affiliated with synagogues, mosques, Hindu temples, etc.

One of the badges you can earn is a religious knot, which you get by completing a bunch of requirements based on your religion and denomination. I got parvuli dei, which is for Catholics. Here is the complete list. It includes Judaism, Islam, Bahai, Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, etc.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies