Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:14:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II (search mode)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]
Poll
Question: Does uniting the right in Alberta mean the NDP is toast next election?
Absolutely they are done like dinner

NDP still might win, but will be a steep hill to climb

NDP will likely win, UCP too extreme

NDP will definitely win

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II  (Read 192674 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #175 on: July 27, 2018, 11:24:58 AM »

John Tory isn't going to do anything. He got what he wanted; nominations for mayor still close today, but for every other race, they'll be extended. So any would-be challenger for mayor who doesn't want to run against a colleague in any of these new mega-wards will not be able to do so.

Hopefully someone challenges this in the court. 25 seats is not effective representation (this has already been established in court, whether you agree with it or not).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #176 on: July 27, 2018, 05:09:54 PM »

Wouldn't 25 seats literally mean a city council member has a larger average constituency than an MPP does? That sounds absurd.

Hmm, that is technically true. We have some ridings covering just 20k people up north, brining the average down.

Bizarrely this wouldn't be as bad as some cities in western Canada that have more provincial ridings than wards.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #177 on: August 09, 2018, 09:42:44 PM »

The NDP is still polling 15-20%, so it's just a reversion to the mean really. We're not in Audrey McLaughlin territory, and not even Alexa McDonough territory either.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #178 on: August 10, 2018, 08:57:25 AM »

The NDP is still polling 15-20%, so it's just a reversion to the mean really. We're not in Audrey McLaughlin territory, and not even Alexa McDonough territory either.

Hell, they're in Jack Layton (04-10) territory, which wasn't exactly considered terrible at the time.

The pundit class has short memories.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #179 on: August 12, 2018, 08:49:18 PM »

Illegal border crossing seems a good issue for Scheer. Angus Reid poll shows he is more trusted than Trudeau on this.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/angus-reid-border-poll-1.4771961

The word is irregular.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #180 on: August 16, 2018, 09:21:38 AM »

If Maxime Bernier were removed from the Conservative caucus how likely would he be to be reelected as an independent in Beauce?

Worked for his father.

Not sure if it would for Maxime though. The farmers in the riding hate him.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2018, 10:49:46 AM »

People need to stop speculating about early elections. They never come true. Trudeau is not that stupid; he knows he would lose if he went against the fixed election date.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #182 on: August 16, 2018, 01:09:37 PM »

Bernier has a lot "going for" him, but just as much (if not more) "going against" him too.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #183 on: August 23, 2018, 03:58:55 PM »

Is it brave or foolhardy for a Quebec based politician to have ending supply management as one of his signature issues?

Foolhardy

Bernier probably lost the leadership race due to it. Andrew Scheer won a lot of rural Quebec seats thanks to pissed off dairy farmers that should have been easy wins for Maxime.

probably
?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #184 on: August 24, 2018, 08:27:17 AM »

Any clue unto what this party might be named? I don't know why I'm so interested in that rather small detail, but I am.

No idea, but I bet it will be something vague and boring.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2018, 11:17:43 AM »

Any clue unto what this party might be named? I don't know why I'm so interested in that rather small detail, but I am.

No idea, but I bet it will be something vague and boring.

Strong words coming from an NDP supporter  Tongue

Cheesy Hey, when did I ever say I liked the name? At least it beats "New Party".
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2018, 07:35:12 PM »

Jagmeet's leadership hasn't been that good so far, I'm afraid, but this is Canadian politics; he has plenty of time to redeem himself.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #187 on: September 12, 2018, 08:32:45 AM »

Please don't quote reply that troll. I have him on ignore, and I don't wish to see his trolling.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #188 on: September 14, 2018, 06:03:13 PM »

Will the party aim to run candidates outside of Quebec or is this just a Quebec only party?

All 338 ridings.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #189 on: September 14, 2018, 11:03:39 PM »

Will the party aim to run candidates outside of Quebec or is this just a Quebec only party?

All 338 ridings.
oof that's going to make it tough for the Conservatives to win. I could even see them taking a net loss in seats in 2015. I wonder though what % Peoples will take I imagine 8-10% (I don't think their is a huge market for a libertarian style party in Canada but will see.)

Also outside of Beauce what do you think the most likley seat Peoples would win?

According to Craig Oliver (about the only liberal national media commentator around) Maxime Bernier's party could do very well in and around Quebec City: right wing populist but pro free trade.

Ralliement créditiste 2.0 ?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #190 on: September 15, 2018, 08:45:45 AM »

I know. I meant more in terms of what the electoral map could look like, based on Craig Oliver's comments. That's a big *if* though; assuming Quebec conservatives align more with Bernier's politics. The leadership election proved that the Tory base in Quebec is not that libertarian, but perhaps the voters are?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #191 on: October 04, 2018, 08:50:39 AM »

Just adding to the long list of notable athletes/minor celebrities running as sacrificial lambs for the Liberal Party. Remember when Ross Rebagliati ran?

[ETA: Rebagliati didn't actually run apparently, he dropped out. Still though, wanting to run against Stockwell Day was a bit of an uphill battle]
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2018, 10:41:32 PM »

In addition to the 5 Quebecers regularly mentioned in French media, Cullen, Rankin and Masse are mulling retirement.

I was hoping Yvan Baker's political career would be dead. His private member's bill attempting to ban texting and crossing the street was ludicrous.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #193 on: October 28, 2018, 12:00:53 PM »

So no second ballot, because Clarke dropped out? Makes sense, 49% is a guaranteed win.

Do you think Houston will take the party back to the right?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies