Should the Washington Redskins change their name? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:01:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should the Washington Redskins change their name? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?
Yes
No
No Opinion
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Should the Washington Redskins change their name?  (Read 23705 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« on: May 23, 2014, 03:06:34 PM »

I saw that this was back in the sports news. Not only does Snyder not want to change it, neither does the NFL, and we know how tuned they are to sensitivity and so forth. Football people largely don't have an issue with the "Washington Redskins," their logo, or their colors. As an epithet, I don't think the name even applies this century. And it's not used that way. But I'm a football guy.

"Cleveland Indians" and their logo is far worse.

In any event, what about the Fighting Irish? Or the Vikings and their logo? The FSU Seminoles and that guy who comes out on a horse and throws a spear into the ground? A university uses that! How about the WVU Mountaineers? You know, at some point this just. . . becomes tedious and a regress.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 09:40:55 AM »

Regardless of whether they should or should not change it, yes, the decision should be overturned. It overreaches, and to me, there is too fine a line here. To me, the Cleveland Indians and their logo is worse, but I can't separate "Fighting Irish" and their logo, Yankees, WVU Mountaineers, and the Seminoles and their spear logo concept - as well as others - from this. I don't think the Patent Office took into consideration the NFL's argument (that it's not being used offensively), and I don't think the Patent Office should be arbitrarily making decisions like this.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies