NYPD engaged in effective work slowdown; results are awesome (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:11:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYPD engaged in effective work slowdown; results are awesome (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYPD engaged in effective work slowdown; results are awesome  (Read 6620 times)
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« on: December 31, 2014, 12:39:09 PM »

Reposted from a Facebook comment I just made:

This is a good thing on balance, given the immense and discriminatory human cost of the drug war, but I do fear that non-enforcement of parking/traffic violations will both feed the all-too-typical motorist sense that they are "above the law," and possibly endanger pedestrians and cyclists. Vision Zero is something worth enforcing.

(And, FWIW, the lost revenue doesn't really play into my calculus at all in either direction.)
Chances are they are also fining less cyclists and pedestrians, of course that doesn't help safety either.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 02:12:45 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2014, 02:14:18 PM by Nhoj »

Reposted from a Facebook comment I just made:

This is a good thing on balance, given the immense and discriminatory human cost of the drug war, but I do fear that non-enforcement of parking/traffic violations will both feed the all-too-typical motorist sense that they are "above the law," and possibly endanger pedestrians and cyclists. Vision Zero is something worth enforcing.

(And, FWIW, the lost revenue doesn't really play into my calculus at all in either direction.)
Chances are they are also fining less cyclists and pedestrians, of course that doesn't help safety either.

Well, pedestrians should basically never be fined, period.  Obviously cyclists should be from time to time (especially for red-running), but enforcement should be proportional to the amount of potential harm that negligence can cause, and some of those cyclist fines are actually based on misinformation/bad design and shouldn't be given out (for example, riding in the street rather than in a bike lane that's being blocked by parked cop cars Tongue).  The larger/faster/heavier the vehicle, the higher the standards and stricter the enforcement should be.
Not even for jaywalking in obviously dangerous areas? I know I am guilty of jaywalking so im fine with it not being a fine. Tongue But am interested in your view.

Also indy Scott Walkers thugs aren't even good at busting police unions, since they specifically exempted them.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 12:04:37 PM »

Which is pretty odd. Iowa is more urban and socially stratified than places like Vermont and Wyoming and Des Moines and Waterloo have higher crime rates than the national average.

Wait Minnesota is lower than North Dakota? And so is Massachusetts?
The spike in ND is fairly recent, for obvious reasons.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies