Realistically, how does the GOP or Dem Party hope to secure young voters? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 04:32:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Realistically, how does the GOP or Dem Party hope to secure young voters? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Realistically, how does the GOP or Dem Party hope to secure young voters?  (Read 3419 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: March 16, 2015, 09:24:48 PM »
« edited: March 16, 2015, 09:26:47 PM by Reaganfan »

It's a very difficult task for either party, but especially Republicans. You really have no idea how hard being a young conservative is. I was out with a ton of co-workers having drinks last night. I ended up discussing politics (they brought it up) with two co-workers and one of their friends whom I don't work with. All three of them began talking about Jeb Bush, believe it or not. They then went on a Hillary hate-fest. It's great! If more young people like me and my co-workers are talking about Bush rather than Hillary, that's a good sign right?

The problem? They were 36, 36, and 41 years old, respectively. Even the young people I hang out with aren't young people.

Hell...I turn 27 this year. I'll be 28 on election day 2016. Do I even fit into that 18-25 crowd anymore?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 11:49:29 PM »

Young voters will always lean Dem.  They certainly won't be as enthused or active for Hillary as they were for Obama but they will be more enthused for Hillary than say, Kerry or Gore. Young women will probably find the narrative of the first female president to be very enticing.

The youngest voters DID NOT lean Democratic in 1980, 1984, or 1988. Accepting the Howe-Strauss division between Boomers (last born in 1960) and Generation X (first born in 1961), X voters have been more conservative than any other generation of American voters since the Lost born in the latter part of the 19th century (1883-1900).  Except for personal sexuality, they were much more conservative than America at large on economics, the environment, and labor-management relations. Few people saw the extent of the Reagan landslides of 1980 and 1984 as they did and that Dukakis could collapse as he did. Not until the Republican Party started talking about abortion bans did Generation X start looking at Democrats as a viable option.

The 1990s recession was what really shifted Generation X toward Democrats.
I actually think it was the drastic pop culture shift in 1992 as to why Clinton won but also people didn't want full blown Reaganomics anymore. Music changed with Grunge and Gangsta Rap coming onto the music scene that year. 1992 was the 80's pop culture's last gap.

I don't think it was the shift itself so much as the feelings of cultural and political disillusion, and the desire for change the shift represented. And Reaganomics was indeed very much a swear word in 1992.

1992 did more damage to our country than people realize. I submit the idea that the election of Bill Clinton in 1992 paved the way for Oklahoma City, possibly Columbine and 9/11.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 12:37:03 AM »

Young voters will always lean Dem.  They certainly won't be as enthused or active for Hillary as they were for Obama but they will be more enthused for Hillary than say, Kerry or Gore. Young women will probably find the narrative of the first female president to be very enticing.

The youngest voters DID NOT lean Democratic in 1980, 1984, or 1988. Accepting the Howe-Strauss division between Boomers (last born in 1960) and Generation X (first born in 1961), X voters have been more conservative than any other generation of American voters since the Lost born in the latter part of the 19th century (1883-1900).  Except for personal sexuality, they were much more conservative than America at large on economics, the environment, and labor-management relations. Few people saw the extent of the Reagan landslides of 1980 and 1984 as they did and that Dukakis could collapse as he did. Not until the Republican Party started talking about abortion bans did Generation X start looking at Democrats as a viable option.

The 1990s recession was what really shifted Generation X toward Democrats.
I actually think it was the drastic pop culture shift in 1992 as to why Clinton won but also people didn't want full blown Reaganomics anymore. Music changed with Grunge and Gangsta Rap coming onto the music scene that year. 1992 was the 80's pop culture's last gap.

I don't think it was the shift itself so much as the feelings of cultural and political disillusion, and the desire for change the shift represented. And Reaganomics was indeed very much a swear word in 1992.

1992 did more damage to our country than people realize. I submit the idea that the election of Bill Clinton in 1992 paved the way for Oklahoma City, possibly Columbine and 9/11.

I see all three events happening without Clinton.

Perhaps Columbine, but no way with Oklahoma City and probably not 9/11.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 11:05:03 AM »

Romney won young whites. The problem is that young whites are a minority of young voters.

The GOP needs to fundamentally stop sh**ting on nonwhites

How do they sh**t on non-whites?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies