Office of Governor Sawx - Come One, Come All (SPECIAL ELECTION AHOY) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:43:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Governor Sawx - Come One, Come All (SPECIAL ELECTION AHOY) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Office of Governor Sawx - Come One, Come All (SPECIAL ELECTION AHOY)  (Read 22707 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« on: February 11, 2015, 12:15:07 AM »

Glorious news!

Just to drop a quick comment in here: what a nice choice of Griffin as Lt. Gov! Smiley

Why thank you, my good man!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 08:14:28 PM »

Well I just hate to wade into this little debate of sorts, but I would like to point out for purely vote-counting/partisan/mechanical reasons that, in a vacuum where votes were subtracted from candidates that weren't from their own parties, Blair and Clyde would have won based on the Labor votes cast for them alone, while one of the TPP candidates wouldn't have won without a Labor vote. Now carry on.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 05:01:21 AM »

Ugh weren't we doing appointments a couple of months ago? And then before that, special elections? And before that, appointments? And before that, special elections? I swear, it seems the NE has changed this dynamic back and forth about 12 times since 2012...
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 12:18:59 AM »

Pessimistic Antineutrino's vote is not valid - he does not meet posting eligibility requirements.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 01:50:05 AM »

Everyone appears to be registered citizens of the Northeast, with the exception of Talleyrand, whose Senate vote still applies for the NE contest due to moving less than one week before its commencement. Peeperkorn was an oversight on my part.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 02:14:12 AM »

Is it ironic that earlier today I was watching the National Geographic documentary on the 2000s, which began with none other than Florida? Wink

Holy hell. So rpryor won, by one preference, in a tiebreaker count caused by a vote that was literally one hour and twenty seconds before the deadline.

This has to be the closest election in the history of Atlasia.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 08:09:54 AM »

Isn't the policy for a federal senate election to hold a runoff if both the candidates are tied in the final round (which in this case would be the first)? That's what was going to happen in February 2014 between TNF and Lumine until the latter conceded.

Either way, congratulations to both candidates on a great effort. I'm sure either one will do a good job.

Yes, I would imagine this portion of CESRA (unless it has been amended and the Wiki is lying?) would apply. I can't believe I forgot about the Lumine-TNF debacle.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 07:03:55 PM »

I alluded to this before, but the booth was open from 1:00 AM to 1:00 AM based on the wording of the booth (EST, not EDT). The federal elections use the same concept (EST) and that's why they close at 1 AM between March and October, and 12 AM between November and February. 84285's vote was cast within the stated window of the election. Sawx also technically attempted to close the booth before its proper closing time.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 08:08:45 PM »

I alluded to this before, but the booth was open from 1:00 AM to 1:00 AM based on the wording of the booth (EST, not EDT). The federal elections use the same concept (EST) and that's why they close at 1 AM between March and October, and 12 AM between November and February. 84285's vote was cast within the stated window of the election. Sawx also technically attempted to close the booth before its proper closing time.

The Northeast has been holding elections from midnight to midnight EDT during the summer for years, despite what the voting booths and constitution say about using EST.   So did the feds, at least until recently.  This is something that I asked to be addressed in the proposed constitutional amendment that the Assembly just passed, but wasn't.

I definitely recall elections in 2013 being held on the midnight to midnight schedule; how long has this conflict existed? Nevertheless, I merely evaluated what and when the voting booth stated in terms of when it was to open and when it was to close, which stated 00:59:59 AM to 00:59:59 AM EDT. You're saying the NE Constitution says that voting begins at 1:00 AM EDT/12:00 AM EST?

I was initially under the impression that other than the method of selecting a Senator, that each region had to adhere to the same election standards as federal elections. This is a special, so perhaps that complicates things. Everybody else seems to be suggesting that regional laws and precedence applies, however. In that case (and if I recall correctly), only regulations on voting that are more restrictive than the federal regulations would be considered invalid (in essence, they'd be unconstitutional and inevitably struck down by the court if they were attempted to be enforced).

This would mean that based on precedence of how/if votes are counted, Talleyrand's vote is valid (also, it could be argued from the restrictive element in this case, as someone has a 7-day window to vote in an election in a region in which they no longer live versus a 0-day window). It would also mean that Peeperkorn, Pessimistic Antineutrino and 84285's votes are all valid (because there are no regional restrictions to my knowledge on the number of posts or amount of activity a voter needs to vote in NE elections).
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 08:46:03 PM »

The Northeast has been holding elections from midnight to midnight EDT during the summer for years, despite what the voting booths and constitution say about using EST.   So did the feds, at least until recently.  This is something that I asked to be addressed in the proposed constitutional amendment that the Assembly just passed, but wasn't.

I definitely recall elections in 2013 being held on the midnight to midnight schedule; how long has this conflict existed? Nevertheless, I merely evaluated what and when the voting booth stated in terms of when it was to open and when it was to close, which stated 00:59:59 AM to 00:59:59 AM EDT. You're saying the NE Constitution says that voting begins at 1:00 AM EDT/12:00 AM EST?

I was initially under the impression that other than the method of selecting a Senator, that each region had to adhere to the same election standards as federal elections. This is a special, so perhaps that complicates things. Everybody else seems to be suggesting that regional laws and precedence applies, however. In that case (and if I recall correctly), only regulations on voting that are more restrictive than the federal regulations would be considered invalid (in essence, they'd be unconstitutional and inevitably struck down by the court if they were attempted to be enforced).

This would mean that based on precedence of how/if votes are counted, Talleyrand's vote is valid (also, it could be argued from the restrictive element in this case, as someone has a 7-day window to vote in an election in a region in which they no longer live versus a 0-day window). It would also mean that Peeperkorn, Pessimistic Antineutrino and 84285's votes are all valid (because there are no regional restrictions to my knowledge on the number of posts or amount of activity a voter needs to vote in NE elections).

The time prescribed in the Northeast Constitution for holding regularly scheduled Northeast regional elections deliberately mirrors the Atlasian constitution.  (The new proposed amendment changes that, and I am opposed to it).  So, in theory, we should be holding regularly-scheduled Assembly elections from Midnight to Midnight Eastern Standard Time, i.e. 1AM in the summer.  I'm not aware of any specific time frame in the Northeast Constitution for holding special elections, though I'd have to look.  I also don't want to comment too much further in case I get confirmed as CJO and have to hear a case.

I will say that there was a federal case against the South which struck down activity requirements for local elections that were different than the federal standard.  What that would mean in this case is subject to debate, I suppose.

Yes, that is to what I was referring with regards to the "regional laws can't be stricter than the federal government's" thing. It's happened at least once - maybe twice - and both involved the South: once with the South's requirement to have 50 posts, and then more recently with some other legislation I believe was passed (though there might not have been a case about the latter one). I also seem to recall seeing something more specific in terms of a ruling from the SC from long ago that said what I referred to in the first sentence (it may have been in the opinion regarding the aforementioned case against the South).
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 07:40:08 PM »

As Registrar General, I hereby inform you that the Governor of the Northeast is no longer a registered voter in Atlasia.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 12:53:18 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2015, 02:15:31 AM by RG Griff »

Sawx was banned for unrelated reasons. Sawx is a real person. Sawx is not a Hamilton sock. This is a joke that started in chat last night, that spread to AAD, and eventually got spread here. Carry on.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies