The curious case of the Export-Import Bank
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 08:56:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The curious case of the Export-Import Bank
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The curious case of the Export-Import Bank  (Read 542 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2014, 08:29:47 AM »

So one of the stranger things that have happened recently is an outburst of fairly random conservative opposition to the renewal of the charter of the Export-Import Bank. Well, not so random, points out the Washington Post:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The curiosity of this is that well, there's no real reason for not renewing the Bank's charter. The Exim Bank accounted for 1.2 million jobs over the past few years, so we're talking wanton job destruction here. As if the faux-populism over "crony capitalism" from the right was not blood pressure-raising enough, the real source of this "controversy" are the airlines, who have felt the financing the Exim Bank provides for Boeing's (by far the Bank's largest client) customers provides an unfair advantage to foreign competitors. Which should give any thinking person a stroke, because the utterly terrible, poor-quality, over-priced, over-unionised airlines don't need any kind of protection whatsoever. The fact a lot of this outrage stems from their desire to impose their horrendousness even further on Americans to drive us all mad.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 03:33:37 PM »

Did you see the recent white paper regarding the case against the ExIm Bank? I think it was published by the Mercatus Center. I was skimming it yesterday and it made some compelling points, so my impression is not that this is a weird fringe idea that should be prima facie discounted. I'll have to dig up the link when I'm not at work.

http://mercatus.org/export-import-bank
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 08:09:24 PM »

Wanton job destruction has been the goal of the Republican Party since Obama was elected, and will continue to be until a Republican president is inaugurated. This latest assault on employment isn't surprising, unfortunately.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies