SENATE BILL: Trial, Not Turnout Amendment (Sent to the Regions) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 08:29:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Trial, Not Turnout Amendment (Sent to the Regions) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Trial, Not Turnout Amendment (Sent to the Regions)  (Read 6405 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« on: January 08, 2013, 12:08:43 AM »

In principle, I don't have a real problem with the compromise.  My preferred system would be to give the Senate full impeachment powers, with the addition of a recall mechanism in the Constitution, but for the sake of consensus, I'll hold off on that. Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 12:44:39 AM »

On the other hand, I am still interested in the possibility of recall elections.  How does this sound, Oakvale?

Amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 06:00:52 PM »

In principle, I don't have a real problem with the compromise.  My preferred system would be to give the Senate full impeachment powers, with the addition of a recall mechanism in the Constitution, but for the sake of consensus, I'll hold off on that. Smiley

Angry

It's merely an idea of mine - full impeachment powers won't pass through the Senate, so I will not attempt to introduce them.

You so sure? Just when you think you "have" him, he'll vanish right before your eyes and then pop up in place where and when you least expect it. You have to be fast to take him down. Tongue

Oh dear, I've caused some kind of controversy already! Grin
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 10:16:55 PM »

I like the current system where we can expel senators on our own.

This would not remove that ability; nor would it create recall elections even. It would simply give us, or a future Senate, the ability to do so.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 09:47:52 PM »

Aye

*Sigh* I suppose I understand some of the Senate's qualms, but it would be nice for those to actually be stated before the vote on an amendment, instead of just waiting to vote it down with no pretense of debate. Tongue
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 11:15:24 PM »

(Sorry I couldn't get in here earlier.)

Barnes, as you asked, here's my explanation: Generally speaking, I oppose recall elections, but if we implemented them here they would be especially unfair to our At-Large Senators. A committed majority could deny every other group representation.

I'm also uneasy about inserting language into an amendment that, strictly speaking, doesn't relate to its primary subject: impeachment proceedings. And I'm particularly wary of making major changes to this amendment after we've spent so much time building our current compromise.

Recall elections aren't a particular favorite of my either as it goes; I just believe that in an election game, the more elections the merrier...usually.  I would not wish to block the consensus on this amendment, and the recall idea is not one of extremely pressing importance, but perhaps we'll return to this little conundrum in the future. Wink
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 07:17:57 PM »

Aye.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies