Spain getting dicked over by the euro. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 10:24:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Spain getting dicked over by the euro. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Return of the pesata?
Good idea

Bad idea

Undecided

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Spain getting dicked over by the euro.  (Read 2809 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« on: April 23, 2009, 02:36:38 PM »

Isn't most of Spain's private debt in dollars or euros?

If so, then the ability to devalue your own currency is rather useless - actually it would make things worse.

The Euro is dead fairly soon, anyway, I suspect.  But I won't be certain until it passes below USD/EUR = 1.18 (very, very important technical marker).
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 03:46:08 PM »

Isn't most of Spain's private debt in dollars or euros?

If so, then the ability to devalue your own currency is rather useless - actually it would make things worse.

The Euro is dead fairly soon, anyway, I suspect.  But I won't be certain until it passes below USD/EUR = 1.18 (very, very important technical marker).

Perhaps you should be aware Spain can devalue its currency just like California can devalue the US Dollar, before commenting on something like this.

I thought that's what I was saying - in that this was merely a theory "if Spain still had its own currency." (and the problems thereby with devaluation)

Sorry for the confusion, if such.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 04:39:34 PM »

Has leaving a monetary union ever been carried out before, in an electronic banking system?

If there is any hint of a Eurozone state leaving the Euro, there would be so much capital flight the economy would be crippled for decades.

The more likely answer is that "said country" gets kicked out if it blows up (because other countries will probably follow).  Or Germany/France will vleave voluntarily.  The key point - will Germany/France prop all these countries up if one or two blows up (meaning others will follow)?  My bet is that they will try to but eventually realize they'll be taken down if they do.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies