2017 Nova Scotia election (May 30)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 07:16:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2017 Nova Scotia election (May 30)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Author Topic: 2017 Nova Scotia election (May 30)  (Read 18202 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2017, 09:53:38 AM »

There are Acadian pockets across the province (read DC's excellent riding synopses). They tend to vote Liberal, but support other parties if they have popular incumbents.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2017, 10:46:07 AM »

Is there a significant number of Francophones in NS ? Do they call it Nova Scotia or Nouvelle-Écosse ? And do they tend to vote in some discernible pattern ?

They would be called Acadian's, officially looks like there are about 11000 of them, mostly living in Antigonish, Digby and Yarmouth counties. Only about 4% of NS is French mother tongue.
In Digby - French is 30% Yarmouth 20%
Liberal, they vote LIBERAL... someone who lives there can explain more, but from what i can see Digby in particular is very strongly liberal.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2017, 04:03:44 PM »

To add to what Hatman and lilTommy said, here is a Nova Scotia language map by municipality. Red is Anglophone, Blue is Francophone, orange is Anglophone with a significant Francophone minority.

Up until the 2013, the province had four "special seats" which were gerrymanders designed to elect minority candidates; three for Acadian Francophones and one for blacks. The seats were always quite undersized, so the NDP eliminated them in the most recent boundary commission. This was widely seen as an opportunistic move by the NDP as the seats were represented by three Liberals and a Tory.

The Nova Scotia Supreme Court recently struck down our current boundaries. The McNeil government is appealing it, which is strange given that his party stands to benefit the most. Either way, the next election might be contested with "special seats" again.

As LilTommy noted, Acadian areas vote heavily Liberal (50-75%). The one exception to this is Argyle-Barrington, which has gone Tory in 8/10 elections and whose Acadians vote more Tory than its Anglos. The black seat, Preston also votes Liberal, because the black community there was so outrageously undersized that a white exurban had to be tacked onto the seat to make it viable. The whites outvote the NDP leaning blacks.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2017, 05:08:11 PM »

Judging by the poll by poll results, Blacks in Preston don't appear to vote NDP. Looks like they've voted Liberal the last couple of elections, though there are NDP pockets in the riding.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2017, 06:33:35 PM »

Judging by the poll by poll results, Blacks in Preston don't appear to vote NDP. Looks like they've voted Liberal the last couple of elections, though there are NDP pockets in the riding.

Yes and no.

You're right that Preston is not nearly as pro-NDP as I said it is, but you're also vastly overestimating the size of Preston. Take a look at the 2013 poll by poll map for Preston on 506's website Do you see the three NDP polls that voted 70%+ NDP? That's North Preston. There's another three or four polls to the south that voted the same as the riding at large. That's East Preston. Everything to the east and west of that is white exurbs.

That's why Preston was always the biggest joke of the special seats and had such a hard time electing black MLA's. Nova Scotia Acadians aren't nearly as spread out as blacks are, and the main majority black area is pretty small.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2017, 06:58:55 PM »

Yes and no.

You're right that Preston is not nearly as pro-NDP as I said it is, but you're also vastly overestimating the size of Preston. Take a look at the 2013 poll by poll map for Preston on 506's website Do you see the three NDP polls that voted 70%+ NDP? That's North Preston. There's another three or four polls to the south that voted the same as the riding at large. That's East Preston. Everything to the east and west of that is white exurbs.

That's why Preston was always the biggest joke of the special seats and had such a hard time electing black MLA's. Nova Scotia Acadians aren't nearly as spread out as blacks are, and the main majority black area is pretty small.

Right. I find the area fascinating... what's the difference between North and East Preston? They seem to vote differently. In 2009 it appears North Preston voted Tory? Weird. And the NDP candidate was in single digits. One of the few areas in the province that swung NDP, and by a huge amount it seems. I guess they are a voting bloc that votes more for the candidate than party.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2017, 07:34:42 PM »

Yes and no.

Right. I find the area fascinating... what's the difference between North and East Preston? They seem to vote differently. In 2009 it appears North Preston voted Tory? Weird. And the NDP candidate was in single digits. One of the few areas in the province that swung NDP, and by a huge amount it seems. I guess they are a voting bloc that votes more for the candidate than party.

Tough question. North Preston has a reputation for being a bit poorer than East Preston and it has a gang problem, but I don't think it's enough to change voting habits that much. The Tory vote is much easier to answer. In 2006 and 2009 we ran Dwayne Provo, a former pro football player originally from North Preston. They definitely vote based on candidate out there.

That's a good rule of thumb for all Atlantic Canadian politics actually. Politics are extremely local. I just looked it up, and Nova Scotia provincial ridings are about 1/3 the population of an Ottawa City Council district, so its pretty easy for a local notable to make a big impact.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2017, 05:48:36 AM »

Today's poll has the NDP down a bit

Liberal: 40%
Tory: 32%
NDP: 23%
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2017, 07:02:33 AM »
« Edited: May 25, 2017, 07:05:32 AM by DC Al Fine »

Mainstreet has a new poll out

Nova Scotia
Liberal: 37%
Tory: 34%
NDP: 25%

Halifax CMA
Tory: 28%
NDP: 26%

Cape Breton CMA
Liberal: 43%
NDP: 28%
Tory: 24%

Rest of NS
Tory: 42%
Liberal: 33%

I'm inclined to trust CRA more than Mainstreet (i.e. there's no way the Greens are going to get 5% in Cape Breton), but this could make things interesting if its true.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2017, 07:31:48 AM »

So, NDP support has collapsed in Halifax, but not in the rest of the province? Not sure if buy that.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2017, 08:15:57 AM »

So, NDP support has collapsed in Halifax, but not in the rest of the province? Not sure if buy that.

Exactly. Halifax has that core progressive base that the NDP can rely on, so it should be the place NDP support holds up in during a decline. Plus, I still don't buy the Tories doing so well in Halifax, when we aren't forming government.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2017, 08:17:14 AM »

Went to the advance poll. Voted Liberal. Feels weird man.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2017, 08:42:01 AM »

One of us ... one of us ... one of us ...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2017, 09:02:18 AM »

Roll Eyes

He's supporting them because they're the most right wing party in the election.

(Actually, that might explain why the PCs are doing better than expected in Halifax?)
DL
Canada

« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2017, 09:12:37 AM »

Mainstreet has a new poll out

Nova Scotia
Liberal: 37%
Tory: 34%

Halifax CMA
Tory: 28%
NDP: 26%

Cape Breton CMA
Liberal: 43%
NDP: 28%
Tory: 24%

Rest of NS
Tory: 42%
Liberal: 33%

I'm inclined to trust CRA more than Mainstreet (i.e. there's no way the Greens are going to get 5% in Cape Breton), but this could make things interesting if its true.

Though FWIW this Mainstreet poll is eerily similar to the Forum poll last week that was also done by IVR and the Mainstreet poll is entirely data collected May 22-23, while the CRA poll has a smaller sample size and is over a longer 5 day period. Not saying what is better just that it is different
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2017, 09:58:31 AM »

Roll Eyes

He's supporting them because they're the most right wing party in the election.

Yes. Was still undecided until last night. I know McNeil is more right wing than Baillie, but I was still worried about electing a very left-liberal candidate. My wife swung me over in the end. Her brother has a disability and wasn't being given the help he was supposed to at school a few years ago. Our incumbent Liberal MLA went to bat for him and made sure he received the help he needed.

So I'll give credit where credit due. That was some solid constituency work, and should be rewarded. There are other seats where I would vote Tory, but I'm happy to cast a Liberal vote in Bedford.

(Actually, that might explain why the PCs are doing better than expected in Halifax?)

Precisely. Baillie has been attacking McNeil on three points:
1) Cutting the Film Tax Credit
2) Imposing a contract on Nova Scotia Teacher's Union
3) Closing rural hospitals

The first two are very Halifax friendly. Plus he's quite socially liberal, so other parties can't really portray him as a socon boogeyman.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2017, 04:45:36 AM »

NDP up slightly in CRA poll

Tory: 32%

Also, there was a roundtable debate last night. Not particularly eventful, although Baillie made an "Anyone But McNeil" appeal to NDP voters.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2017, 06:22:37 AM »

New CRA poll

Liberal: 41%
Tory: 31%
NDP: 24%
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2017, 06:46:45 PM »

Burrill is canvassing in his own seat two days before the election. Make if that what you will.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #119 on: May 29, 2017, 06:20:30 AM »

CRA projects a reduced Grit majority.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2017, 12:48:01 PM »

Burrill is canvassing in his own seat two days before the election. Make if that what you will.

Isn't there an incumbent Liberal in the riding?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2017, 02:20:20 PM »

Isn't there an incumbent Liberal in the riding?

Yes, but he's had a scandal and the riding is a very, very good match for Burrill's style of Dipper. It should have been an easy pickup in my opinion.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2017, 02:54:46 PM »

The leaders are in the following ridings today, the final day of the campaign.
McNeil
Inverness
Antigonish
Colchester North
Cumberland North
Cumberland South
Waverley-Fall River-Beaverbank

Baillie
Dartmouth North
Cole Harbour-Portland Valley
Cole Harbour-Eastern Passage
Sackville-Beaverbank
Sackville-Cobequid
Truro-Bible Hill etc.

Burrill
Sydney-Whitney Pier
Halifax Chebucto x 2
Cole Harbour-Eastern Passage
Cole Harbour-Portland​ Valley
Halifax Citadel-Sable Island

From this we can surmise:
1) Liberals are performing as expected
2) Burrill is in trouble in his own riding
3) The Tories think their Halifax surge is real.
4) Waverley Fall River-Beaverbank is a three way race
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2017, 04:43:05 AM »

Election day bump
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2017, 05:42:04 PM »