What is the most socially conservative county or town in the Northeast? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:17:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What is the most socially conservative county or town in the Northeast? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is the most socially conservative county or town in the Northeast?  (Read 11321 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« on: April 21, 2005, 02:39:06 AM »

Keep in mind how much of the state's population lives in the lean social liberal or social liberal counties.

Centre County (home of Penn State) is socially conservative?

Centre County, outside of State College is socially conservative. The city is somewhat more liberal, with all the college age folks, but overall Penn State really isn't a liberal university. I'd venture to say the students there are probably more conservative then the average college student.

It seems pretty liberal (not when compared to NYU or Brown, of course).  If I go there next year, I'll give you a better idea.

State College is kind of famous for being a conservative college town.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 04:01:47 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2005, 04:05:01 AM by jfern »

State College is kind of famous for being a conservative college town.

Which is why it voted strongly for Gore in 2000 and even stronger for Kerry in 2004? Hell, in 2004 it almost flipped the county...

Ignoring the 50,000 college students who probably all live on campus.......

When I was talking about the town, I meant the townies.

You seem to underestimate how liberal the normal college campus is. There are plenty of campuses where Kerry got 75% or more. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 04:06:04 AM »
« Edited: April 21, 2005, 04:07:47 AM by jfern »

Have you actually got any evidence for that or by "conservative" do you mean slightly to the right of Leon Trotsky?

By conservative, I meant more conservative than the average college town.  What part of that don't you understand? You seem pretty dense sometimes.

Again, I was talking about the townies, and you're way under-estimating how liberal the average college town is.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 04:10:16 AM »

Here's something to think about. In that ranking of grad schools I did, the top five colleges were in

Palo Alto and Berkeley, CA
Madison, WI
Ithaca, NY
Ann Arbor, MI

You'd probably consider Berkeley, Madison, and Ithaca well to the left of Trotsky, and Palo Alto and Ann Arbor pretty close to Trotsky.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies