nuclear energy (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:53:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  nuclear energy (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: nuclear energy  (Read 5174 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: July 30, 2008, 04:27:05 PM »

You think we would have enough space? People are coming in like a swarm of flys. It would be way to crowded. Especially since you have to kick people out to make more room. Now what?

Have you taken a drive through the mojave desert? How about much of the west? We will have to locate these plants in areas where the environmentalists will bitch and moan about but it has to be done. Safety first though.

Edit: How the hell are people coming here in swarms? I think due to immigration our demographics are about the most stable in the world. I could be wrong though but you have to show me proof.

We have plenty of space. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to look at Alaska. 600,000 people & bigger than Texas, California, & Montana combined. We could just store all the waste somewhere in inland Alaska.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 04:41:04 PM »

PiT (The Physicist)
So you want to harm the enviorment?

I don't. However, I'm realistic about it. Nuclear fission is the best option available to us now. The nuclear waste is not that bad if properly maintained. There's a chance it won't be, just as there's a chance a bird will be killed by those windmills out there.

Explosions in modern facilities are rare. Chernobyl was ancient & poorly-maintained when it melted down. A similar incident at Three-Mile Island was avoided when the safeties shut down the reactor before it went critical.

Well in the car museum they had a nuclear car and it exploded.

I doubt a car's safeties would be as sophisticated as those of an industrial reactor.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 04:50:27 PM »

Well then what do you do about the people who are born with chemical problems because of that.

How common is this in the first place?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 04:58:43 PM »

Well a lot of orphans from Russia have that problem so it is not rare.

From near Chernobyl? That would not be surprising. Also I am advocating a level of safety at least a 100 times better than whatever the soviets had.

Agreed. The former Soviet Union should not be held up as a paragon of safe nuclear power.

Do you remember the plane crash in the Ural mts? Think about it

I don't get it. Was the plane nuclear-powered or something?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 05:01:19 PM »

sbane
What kind of research do you want?
The kind where a person actually went threw it?

He wants research from a country that actually has a good track record with nuclear power, like France.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 05:17:52 PM »

Not many country's have a good track record.

How many of the countries with bad ones belong to the former Soviet Union? Regardless, the United States has a proven track record in the area of nuclear safety. Three-Mile Island was the worst accident we suffered, with zero casualties to show for it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 05:27:13 PM »

OK so as long as you get energy you are willing to sacrifice lifes.

How many lives has the United States sacrificed for energy? This isn't Soviet Russia; we're capable of safely running a nuclear plant around here.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 10:39:12 PM »

Damn!  I wish I had found this sooner.  I am a huge supporter of nuclear energy and fully support its expansion along with deregulation and demonopolization (yes, that's a word now).  It is overregulated to the point of having exaggerated barriers to entry.  It is profitable, safe, and clean.  There is no reasonable opposition to it and the only issue that needs government instigated resolution is the backyard argument.  The mountain west needs to boot up their asses and let the waste into their vast expanses of nothing.

I agree. Nuclear energy in the United States is quite safe & clean. Some people aren't so convinced though. Look at our argument with Dc_united_15 (my ex for all who don't know) over it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 02:33:45 AM »

PiT (The Physicist)

I don't. However, I'm realistic about it. Nuclear fission is the best option available to us now. The nuclear waste is not that bad if properly maintained. There's a chance it won't be, just as there's a chance a bird will be killed by those windmills out there.

Explosions in modern facilities are rare. Chernobyl was ancient & poorly-maintained when it melted down. A similar incident at Three-Mile Island was avoided when the safeties shut down the reactor before it went critical.

I doubt a car's safeties would be as sophisticated as those of an industrial reactor.

I think she is confused into thinking that a nuclear power "explosion" would look like an atomic bomb.  A nuclear reactor can't explode in such a fashion.  What happened in Chernobyl was that the reactor blew, and sent nuclear material into the atmosphere, it was a steam explosion.  There was no mushroom cloud.  And the only reason the damage was so wide spread, actually, the only reason the accident happened at all, is because the Soviets were utterly unconcerned with safety.  The Soviets never bothered, for instance, to construct containment buildings around their reactors, which are mandatory in the West.

Yeah, I was too lazy to check out the specifics. Tongue My point stands that there's little risk with a modern, well-maintained nuclear plant, though.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 02:41:29 AM »

PiT (The Physicist)

I think she is confused into thinking that a nuclear power "explosion" would look like an atomic bomb.  A nuclear reactor can't explode in such a fashion.  What happened in Chernobyl was that the reactor blew, and sent nuclear material into the atmosphere, it was a steam explosion.  There was no mushroom cloud.  And the only reason the damage was so wide spread, actually, the only reason the accident happened at all, is because the Soviets were utterly unconcerned with safety.  The Soviets never bothered, for instance, to construct containment buildings around their reactors, which are mandatory in the West.

Yeah, I was too lazy to check out the specifics. Tongue My point stands that there's little risk with a modern, well-maintained nuclear plant, though.

Almost no risk, at all, at least not in the way miss 15 thinks.

Indeed. Just so you know, she's from Russia. With that in mind, I wonder if she knew anybody who was affected by radiation from Chernobyl. That might explain her prejudice against nuclear power.

Actually, I should ask her that when I get the chance.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 02:45:58 AM »

PiT (The Physicist)

Indeed. Just so you know, she's from Russia. With that in mind, I wonder if she knew anybody who was affected by radiation from Chernobyl. That might explain her prejudice against nuclear power.

Oh... for some strange reason I thought she was from California.

She was born in Russia. She left for the U.S. when she was three years old for reasons that I will not discuss since they might be embarrassing for her (unless she tells me that she's okay with it).
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 02:50:06 AM »

PiT (The Physicist)

Oh... for some strange reason I thought she was from California.

She was born in Russia. She left for the U.S. when she was three years old for reasons that I will not discuss since they might be embarrassing for her (unless she tells me that she's okay with it).

I see.

Just so you know, it wasn't related to nuclear power. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies