Opinion of calling anything that upsets your worldview fake news? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 06:56:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of calling anything that upsets your worldview fake news? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: In a world rife with uncomfortable truths, what is your opinion of calling reports on real things/events/facts fake news?
Freedom behavior

Horrible behavior

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Opinion of calling anything that upsets your worldview fake news?  (Read 865 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« on: January 13, 2017, 10:58:37 PM »

Obviously terrible, but what's perhaps just as bad is the belief that only people on the "other side" believe fake news or anything that isn't actually true. Unfortunately, the impulse to believe what we want to be true (or what will promote a narrative we like more) over what is actually true is extremely prevalent, and not limited to one party.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 01:34:11 AM »

Obviously terrible, but what's perhaps just as bad is the belief that only people on the "other side" believe fake news or anything that isn't actually true. Unfortunately, the impulse to believe what we want to be true (or what will promote a narrative we like more) over what is actually true is extremely prevalent, and not limited to one party.

That's true. For what's it worth (regardless if you were implying me or not), I did try and "de-partisanize" my posts here, even if the worst of the fake news absurdity I've seen as of late has been conservative-oriented. It's a lazy feature of the human mind, and now that it's become "a thing," people have found it easier to abuse. Even worse when high-profile people seek to use this to tarnish things they know to be true but simply don't like.

Not even being able to agree on basic facts in an age of unparalleled access to information is an extremely troubling sign of society.

Just to be clear, I wasn't implying you. My point was that while I too have seen much more fake news from conservative sites, the attitude of only accepting what promotes one's narrative does exist on both sides. I also think that it's easier to identify and react to lies and bias coming from political opponents. I have recently noticed some of my friends promoting articles that are sometimes not accurate, and more often clearly biased. It's harder to confront them, knowing that they might see me as a "traitor" for calling them out on it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies