Hawaii votes to ban cigarettes for those under 21 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 07:58:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hawaii votes to ban cigarettes for those under 21 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hawaii votes to ban cigarettes for those under 21  (Read 5884 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: April 25, 2015, 09:59:05 PM »

Seems reasonable. Anything and everything that isn't an outright ban on smoking should be done to discourage the cancer sticks. We should ban non-e-cigarettes, raise the age like here, and further increase tobacco taxes to bankruptcy levels while providing free and quality addiction counseling with state monies.

This is an outright ban on smoking, and possessing. It just exempts everyone over 21.  There's no rationale here. Why not ban it for everyone over 40 instead? It would have a bigger impact on tobacco deaths. Either is completely impractical, but if you ban something for young people instead of older adults somehow it seems less crazy.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 11:09:41 PM »

Cigarettes have no positive function in society.

I had a long day.  my wife wants me to stop at the grocery store to get dinner to cook as she's strung out on Valium and never gets off the couch.  I'm about ready to beat the bitch as I light up a smoke at 5:03pm as I get out the doors of my onerous workplace.  it's my first since noon; clears my head, calms me down.  I get a rotisserie chicken and find the strength to saute some asparagus.

never say never, son.

I'm not disagreeing that in that scenario cigarettes are relief. But come on, many things can take the place of cigarettes. A quick run, breathing exercises, etc. It's about conditioning the body to recognize other mediums of stress relief.

That cigarette is not worth it, especially when you know it's going to cause cancer down the road.

More importantly, the state has a right to eliminate toxic things from society, that have no redeeming benefits, especially if the state ends up having to subsidize the treatment for said behaviors. While that's a bit of an authoritarian statement, cigarettes are one way to apply this philosophy for the better good, for example. We don't allow people to drink drano, why do we allow people to smoke?

There are laws prohibiting the drinking of drano?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 03:00:39 PM »

Cigarettes have no positive function in society.

I had a long day.  my wife wants me to stop at the grocery store to get dinner to cook as she's strung out on Valium and never gets off the couch.  I'm about ready to beat the bitch as I light up a smoke at 5:03pm as I get out the doors of my onerous workplace.  it's my first since noon; clears my head, calms me down.  I get a rotisserie chicken and find the strength to saute some asparagus.

never say never, son.
If this is your life I would consider getting medical and professional help. It really shouldn't be like this, and it wouldn't be like this if you had never smoked in the first place.

The only reason you feel like sh**t without a cigarette is because you started smoking them. The supply created the demand. And if you don't stop, you'll slowly be killing yourself.

"If you never smoked in the first place.." Great, maybe we can make a law where we go back in time and stop people from becoming addicted.

I think Tweed is not literally talking about himself pollspuff. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies