Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:51:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014  (Read 147538 times)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« on: March 05, 2013, 04:42:29 AM »

Am I the only one seeing a degree of genius in this whole vote, by putting the vote in 2014 they ensure the government in London will play nice to Scotland, and not attempt to limit the local autonomy. So even if they lose they will have gotten several years of peace from Loondon, and the crisis may be less bad in 2014, so the risk that London will cut inn Scottish autonomy or budgets afterward will be a lot smaller.

It's a win win result. Even if the Yes vote can only muster 40-45% that's still a large minority. The result is increased autonomy for Scotland regardless of the outcome.

Separatism is playing with fire when it comes to autonomy. Quebecois nationalists were very successful playing this game until the Tories figured out how to win majorities without them. Now their appeals fall on deaf ears.

As someone who is sympathetic to the Scots cause, I suggest they make their increased autonomy concessions count.

I think what actually happened here is that Dippers took advantage of Liberals shooting themselves in the foot over and over again.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies