Worst Song EVER - Nomination round
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 05:49:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Worst Song EVER - Nomination round
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Worst Song EVER - Nomination round  (Read 6076 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2014, 12:29:36 PM »

I checked out the German Top 10 hits for notable entries, and came across these ones:

#3 - 1990s German aggregated top 10 hits

#10 - 1990s German aggregated top 10 hits

#25 - 1990s German aggregated top 10 hits

#33 - 1990s German aggregated top 10 hits

#3 - 2000s German aggregated top 10 hits

This one - # 12 2000s German aggregated Top 10 hits - probably hasn't got much airplay outside of Germany (be happy about it). so it may be excluded from the international selection. Anyway, anybody with a masochistic streak may appreciate the link..

I guess 99 Luftballoons is too old for the contest.
Why is 99 Luftballoons bad?

Well, if you have to ask.....  Obviously, everything is subjective, but most 80s synth driven music has not aged well (save for anything Debbie Harry graced)
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2014, 01:27:27 PM »

I checked out the German Top 10 hits for notable entries, and came across these ones:

This one - # 12 2000s German aggregated Top 10 hits - probably hasn't got much airplay outside of Germany (be happy about it). so it may be excluded from the international selection. Anyway, anybody with a masochistic streak may appreciate the link..

Well, if you have to ask.....  Obviously, everything is subjective, but most 80s synth driven music has not aged well (save for anything Debbie Harry graced)
Wait, 99 Luftballoons isn't really all that Synth, and I know that most Synth hasn't aged that well, but what's wrong with the Song?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2014, 01:47:39 PM »

Wait, 99 Luftballoons isn't really all that Synth, and I know that most Synth hasn't aged that well, but what's wrong with the Song?

It is rather repetitive and the hook isn't good enough to rely on repetition.  When it came out it was run into the ground (back when there was only radio and MTV) so that works against it too.  Actually, I've spent much of the last unproductive hour (not that I really had to do anything) listening to some Berlin, Kim Wilde, Human League, Patty Smyth/Scandal, etc... and 99 Luftballons just isn't as fun.   Why do you defend to song so?
Potatoe
Guntaker
United Kingdom

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2014, 01:49:36 PM »

It is rather repetitive and the hook isn't good enough to rely on repetition.  When it came out it was run into the ground (back when there was only radio and MTV) so that works against it too.  Actually, I've spent much of the last unproductive hour (not that I really had to do anything) listening to some Berlin, Kim Wilde, Human League, Patty Smyth/Scandal, etc... and 99 Luftballons just isn't as fun.   Why do you defend to song so?
Well, different strokes for different folks, I think the beat is solid (Well, except for the Rock [Sort Of] part), and I liked that the Translation is really dark.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2014, 02:18:35 PM »

BrokENCYDE. Their entire catalog.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2014, 05:11:27 PM »

99 Luftballoons was mediocre, and I never understood why, among some definitely great Neue Deutsche Welle songs, that song made it internationally. OTOH, 99 Luftballoons is also not so bad that it belongs onto a "worst osngs ever" list.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies