14th Admendment and the Debt Ceiling (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 03:45:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  14th Admendment and the Debt Ceiling (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Could Democrats legitamately use the 14th amendment to avoid a debt ceiling crisis?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: 14th Admendment and the Debt Ceiling  (Read 3419 times)
t_host1

« on: July 02, 2011, 11:57:13 AM »
« edited: July 02, 2011, 12:05:38 PM by t_host1 »

what an irony...

the court is out teaching in other lands and unknowns supported by a dollar that has it's value being interpreted by the outcome of the insurrection (congress) and rebellion (the people).

interpretation's, gotta lov'm. Is it possible by the continued added precedents, that the above ? can be adequately answered? Law has become a preztel - getting harder to fine the beginning and the end.

debts, pensions, bounties, insurrection, rebellion and slave's - shall be held illegal and void. it's an interpretation.

t_host1

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 12:24:59 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2011, 02:17:44 PM by t_host1 »

I for one do appreciate your knowledge on this, cuz, play'n hardball is the game that keeps score. I see your options as the bat & ball. How many innings remaining & who's the umpire?
t_host1

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:59:39 PM »

Here's what I don't get- if both the federal budget and the debt limit are statutory law, how can both be legal? It seems they are sending contradictory messages to the executive as to how to administer laws. Spend this amount of money (over what is taken in) but don't borrow more than this amount of money. If the contradictory laws are of equal standing- why, as some claim, is the executive forced to ignore the budget law and heed the debt ceiling law? I don't think "Democrats invoking the 14th" is sound at all, but if the executive has to choose which of the contradictory laws to follow, and the fact that Congress (and the Pres) created a budget that increases borrowing beyond the debt ceiling, does the 14th amendment imply that that debt shall not be questioned. Why does it seem like the debt ceiling congress established is higher law than the budget congress passed?

Not that it is a higher law, rather, why agree to a budget that the line of credit will not cover? Growth just isn't going to happen with the current rules in place.
My guess is.. the no's on the current bill did not vote for the present budget. I've heard electors say that they are going to give Obama, in legislative form, what True Federalist is speaking of - seems to me at this point that is the next move.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies