If not in DC... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 11:40:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If not in DC... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If not in DC...  (Read 2809 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« on: April 23, 2008, 11:16:54 AM »

A lot of foreigners already tend to make the same mistake about New York City as they do about Sydney and Toronto.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 09:23:59 AM »

Do what Brazil did and build one from scratch.  Somewhere in the Ozarks would be nice.

Purpose-built cities have a tendency to be dull and characterless.  Putting such a place in the Ozarks wouldn't help, either.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 12:52:20 PM »

Canberra is a planned city, and is accused by people who have never lived here of being cold and souless. Billy Connolly called it "a place the Nazis would have been proud of".

My parents visited Australia in the 1970s, and toured virtually the whole country.  Unfortunately, my mother had had a minor operation on both eyes just days before they got out there, so thanks to the bandages, she was blind for the entire vacation until about two days before they left.  She therefore missed nearly every visual splendor your country had to offer.  They spent the last two days (when the bandages had been removed) in Canberra, and needless to say, it was the biggest let-down she says she has ever had.  "Hardly a sight for sore eyes" were her exact words, allegedly.  It was also the most boring city these two particular twenty-somethings had ever visited in the entire world, apparently, which is something of an achievement.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 10:46:54 AM »

Where is the center of the smallest circle enclosing the contiguous United States?

Lebanon, Kansas.

I know this mainly because it featured briefly as a setting in two books I read consecutively:  American Gods by Neil Gaiman, and The Lost Continent by Bill Bryson; both of which I strongly recommend, by the way.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 12:00:54 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2008, 12:10:11 PM by Joe Republic »

That's the center of mass, which is something different.

True.  In which case, my own rough estimate using Photoshop places it near Sioux City, Iowa.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies