Treaties after a revolution (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 05:45:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Treaties after a revolution (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Treaties after a revolution  (Read 2298 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: September 07, 2011, 12:20:55 AM »

Who's going to enforce the treaty if the new government (if there is a new government) declines to honor it?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 04:43:58 PM »

Who's going to enforce the treaty if the new government (if there is a new government) declines to honor it?

It depends on the treaty - a territorial one could ultimately get the UN Security Council involved.

And if the treaty party says no, we won't listen to the Security Council? 
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 05:09:56 PM »

It depends on the treaty - a territorial one could ultimately get the UN Security Council involved.

And if the treaty party says no, we won't listen to the Security Council? 

Ultimately, Article VII action including sanctions and possibly even military action.

You can do that with the breaking of any treaty.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 12:43:32 PM »

Yeah. J.J.'s right here. International law is very useless if one of the parties thinks they are strong enough to stop honoring it.

Look no further than Nazi Germany....and that wasn't even a "revolution".

I was actually thinking of that analogy.

Sometimes a state will agree to abide with a pre-existing treaty or with, in the US case, with an unratified treaty.  I think SALT II was one example.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 08:48:27 AM »

Makes you wonder if Egypt will give the Sinai back to Israel if they renege on the peace treaty between the two states.

(the above is rhetorical.  I don't think it should happen, I don't think Israel would expect it to happen and clearly Egypt wouldn't anyway)

The question might be, from Egypt's standpoint, "Peace treaty?  What peace treaty?"
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 07:46:59 AM »

Yeah. J.J.'s right here. International law is very useless if one of the parties thinks they are strong enough to stop honoring it.

Look no further than Nazi Germany....and that wasn't even a "revolution".

I was actually thinking of that analogy.

Sometimes a state will agree to abide with a pre-existing treaty or with, in the US case, with an unratified treaty.  I think SALT II was one example.

Uhm, wasn't it the Gorbachov USSR that unilaterally respected SALT II's stipulations, while the Reagan US didn't?

Yes, but not until 7 years later.  The USSR could no longer afford a buildup.  That disregard was one of the numerous reasons for Perestroika.  It also lead to the current treaties.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies