SENATE BILL: The Labor Rights Act (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:56:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Labor Rights Act (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Labor Rights Act (Law'd)  (Read 8425 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« on: November 30, 2012, 06:01:59 PM »
« edited: November 30, 2012, 06:12:00 PM by Mideast Assemblyman Mr. X »

Just to give you all an idea, here is the compromise bill that the Assembly eventually agreed on:

I'd like to provide another prospective, having also been heavily involved in negotiating this compromise.  That was a compromise passed under a specific set of circumstances.  Honestly, I still have problems with section 3.  However, I supported the compromise because at the time it was half a loaf or no bread and the compromise was a big step forward (the unamended Labor Relations Act was awful).  But it was still imperfect and I think it would be better to pass a better law rather than using this an imperfect one as a template.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 07:29:30 PM »

I would prefer the original version and will vote to override this veto.  That said, if the votes to override the veto aren't there, I'll reluctantly support this (half a loaf is better than no bread, after all).  I would also request that President Napoleon elaborate about what concerns he had with the scope of the original bill.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 05:20:58 PM »

If Senator Snowstalker can't sponsor the bill anymore, is there any way I can do so on his behalf?  If so, I'd be happy to do so and would support an override.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 06:10:41 PM »

What do I have to do for there to be a Veto override vote?  Whichever it is, that's the one I want to do Smiley
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 09:22:27 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2013, 10:33:14 PM by Senator X »

I withdraw the bill.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 01:45:52 AM »

Jeez, what happened to the whole "step in the right direction" thing? Sad

I also don't think this bill is the whole solution.  However, it will help and thus I'll support it.  I'd also support other measures, but I'm not going to vote against a good bill just because it doesn't include everything I'd like it to.  This is, in my view, a step in the right direction; it's not a solution by itself.

Doesn't apply to this bill?

I'm going to reintroduce it, as that is what I've been told is necessary to get it passed, even if there's a veto.  I do think this bill is a major part of the solution.  That said, if the bill is vetoed and an override fails, I'd support your version.  I hope that makes sense.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 01:54:01 AM »

It makes sense to want to further ones political aims, I'm just puzzled why a proactive response to a small economic matter is taken yet be willing to take a retroactive, inch by inch approach to an issue where lives are at stake.

I'd be happy to discuss a comprehensive package of additional measures with you on gun control/mental health.  That and Senator HagridOfTheDeep's bill are not mutually exclusive.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 05:23:09 PM »

What do I have to do for there to be a Veto override vote?  Whichever it is, that's the one I want to do Smiley

I posted that several times. That comes at stage. We vote on the redraft and then when it fails, you can choose between to send it back to the President as is , when he vetoed it, then you could have requested an override.

It is also right here in italics:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

'doh Sad I take it that it is to late to vote on the redraft (and hopefully defeat it)?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 05:33:40 PM »

Well, I guess that how you learn Tongue. I guess this will have to get passed again and all Sad  When you say probably though are you implying it might not be to late? Wink
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 05:42:06 PM »

Well, I guess that how you learn Tongue. I guess this will have to get passed again and all Sad  When you say probably though are you implying it might not be to late? Wink

After serving with Bacon King as PPT, and then Vice President, you tend to learn that anything goes procedurally, provided you can provide some kind of procedural finesse to justify it. Wink

What would I need to do in this case?  I want to learn how to screw the rules too? Smiley Wink
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 05:52:31 PM »

Sad

I will reintroduce the bill when I return to the Senate.

I already did Tongue  I was given incorrect info about which option to pursue, sorry guys Sad
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 08:49:29 PM »

Don't worry, the original version will still get passed Smiley
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 10:30:42 PM »

Actually, Mr. PPT, I realized that you never gave a time limit for making my decision.  Given that fact, how can it be too late to say that the withdrawal was a tentative decision and my final decision was to vote on the redraft?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 07:06:23 PM »

Actually, Mr. PPT, I realized that you never gave a time limit for making my decision.  Given that fact, how can it be too late to say that the withdrawal was a tentative decision and my final decision was to vote on the redraft?

Time limits aren't provisioned for this procedure in the Consitution, and it isn't present in the OSPR at all. If it were, we would have had a problem when we had to change sponsors.

In other words, I can still make my final decision and take as much time as I want to make a final decision Wink  My tentative decision was withdrawal, but my final decision is to have a vote on the redraft Smiley
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2013, 08:45:59 AM »

Thanks Bacon King!  You are truly one of the greatest procedural experts and legal minds in Atlasia Smiley
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 06:33:19 PM »

Awaiting PPT NorthCarolinaYankee's response Tongue
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States