Regulatory Overhaul and Review Act (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 11:16:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Regulatory Overhaul and Review Act (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Regulatory Overhaul and Review Act (Debating)  (Read 3301 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« on: September 17, 2014, 03:15:52 PM »

The final is a definite improvement, but are we opening up the possibility that we could be deluged by frivolous requests? I'm thinking of the citizen's initiative thread, of course, 98% of which always yielded entirely frivolous items and is / was / has been functionally useless. Granted, I doubt that this is as broad as that because we're talking about regulations that exist already, but just wanted to throw that out there.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 11:30:42 AM »
« Edited: September 20, 2014, 11:47:11 AM by DemPGH, President »

I suppose this is technically a redraft, but I want to be clear that we are in fact asking for a majority. I don't want to make it two-thirds, but I do think it's fair that if we're going to ask the Senate to just start repealing regulations that we should have a majority.

As far as repealing laws through a mechanism like this, I'm not sure about the constitutionality of that. But who knows.

Anyway,

You must be logged in to read this quote.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 05:19:16 PM »

I oppose this redraft. If Senators don't even bother to vote, that's their problem.

Why would this be unconstitutional?

Hey man, I talked to you just recently about the farm bill, and I mentioned I'll support with a modified 2.2 because look, I don't want people getting sick or salmonella or whatever. I'll work with you on this. I don't think a 6-4 majority is unreasonable when we're talking about allowing the public to instigate the rollback of regulations, that's all. Tongue I'll sign it, but I just hope that we can have a clear +1 majority before we just repeal regulations. I'm not asking for 7-3. Just a majority. LMK.

I'd accept a 6-5 tiebreaker on this. So the text would read,

You must be logged in to read this quote.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 02:40:04 PM »

This is the redraft, so we're clear.

A few posts down I offered an alternative for discussion, but it was deemed to accomplish the exact same things as the final text, so I just want to see if you guys will approve this or not.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 09:16:24 AM »

Debate should be resumed.

So would a citizen be able to say, "I want Clause 6 removed from Statute Y from 2010" and then the Senate would vote to repeal it? Hmm.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies