How Reagan won 49 states (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:04:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  How Reagan won 49 states (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How Reagan won 49 states  (Read 21521 times)
old timey villain
cope1989

« on: December 23, 2011, 03:46:39 AM »

Hello all and happy holidays! I'll admit, I'm pretty young, 22 years old (even though that seems old to me) and in the current era of intense political polarization, it still amazes me to look at the 1984 election map and look at all of the states Reagan won, and won handily. Some I can understand

California- An obvious win for Reagan, since he was Gov of California and it was much more republican during that time.

Vermont- at the time, history still pulled most voters here to the republican candidate, since the state still has a long long legacy of supporting Republicans

Washington and Oregon- weren't the liberal bastions they are today, and proximity to California helped Reagan

But there are some states that I just can't figure out how Reagan won! Such as...

Massachusetts- By this time, Massachusetts has transitioned to being a solidly democratic state, with two democratic senators, a democratic governor and was still filled with the sort of liberal intellectuals who would have hated Reagan's rhetoric.  So how did Reagan win the state by 3 points. For that matter, how did Dukakis only win Massachusetts by less than 8 points??

New Jersey- I'm not surprised that Reagan won New Jersey, but I'm surprised he won it by as much as he did. What has changed in New Jersey that has totally changed its political lean

Hawaii- he won it handily. How?

So, I was wondering if you guys could give me some answers, especially those of you who remember the election very well. Besides the obvious advantage Reagan had in 1984, what else brought on this landslide? Did he just get a large chunk of the white vote or did a large number of minorities support him as well? What states did the Reagan democrats have the most effect on?

I NEED ANSWERS
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies