The 1970 Race for Georgia Governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 09:12:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  The 1970 Race for Georgia Governor
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The 1970 Race for Georgia Governor  (Read 1532 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2024, 04:45:20 PM »

Jimmy Carter's ads:

A Carl Sanders Video:

I looked hard for an ad for Hal Suit, the GOP candidate, but could not find one.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 05:41:49 AM »

Should Democrats have seen a future Presidential candidate in these ads?
ReaganLimbaugh
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2024, 05:02:06 PM »

Big hearted Jimmy Carter ran one of the most racist campaigns in Georgia even by Talmadge standards.  This is despite teh fact that the Chamber of Commerce overwhelmingly endorsed cuff links Carl Sanders for Govenror.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2024, 08:21:37 PM »

No thank you.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 09:49:22 AM »

Big hearted Jimmy Carter ran one of the most racist campaigns in Georgia even by Talmadge standards.  This is despite teh fact that the Chamber of Commerce overwhelmingly endorsed cuff links Carl Sanders for Govenror.

This may be a bit of exaggeration, but Carter DEFINITELY based his campaign on an appeal to the Wallace voters and to conservative Democrats in general.  Sanders was a part owner of the Atlanta Hawks and Carter used a picture of Sanders with black players on the Hawks in a way that said "Look who he hangs with!".

In his last book America In Search of Itself, Theodore H. White examined Carter's downfall, talking about the "slick and gimmicky" Carter as one of Carter's personas (along with the Yeoman Carter and the Religious Carter).  And Carter took on a number of personas and switched between them throughout his career, and even after his Presidency.  He was the nice young man in the 1966 Governor's race, but he was, very much, the heir to Lester Maddox in the 1970 race, only to switch abruptly to a "New South" Governor at his inaugural address.  His pronouncement that " . . . the time for racial discrimination is over . . ." was something no one saw coming.  I am certain he was thinking of being President then.  He was something of a national Democrat in 1972, avoiding endorsing Wallace (which he saw as a dead end), but opposing McGovern and supporting Jackson, saying nasty and uncomplimentary things about McGovern even when not asked, but asking Scoop Jackson to suggest to McGovern to pick him as his running mate when it was all over.  He was exceptionally astute in seeing what it took to be nominated and elected as a Democrat, but he was not as astute in seeing what was needed to govern successfully as the President from the more liberal party that maintained its majorities by elections a noted minority of conservative members from his home region.

The 1970 Carter was, indeed, the "slick and gimmicky" Carter.  He had no record and could be expected to keep his promises.  When he ran for President, he had a record, and he balanced conservative and liberal themes.  He also showed the limitations of that strategy, and the problems in governing that way, the main one being that everything is a compromise and no one is really happy with you.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2024, 11:20:14 AM »

Who did Carter vote for in the 1968 presidential election?
ReaganLimbaugh
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2024, 08:09:46 PM »

Hubert Horatio Hornblower.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2024, 03:15:14 PM »

Quote from: ReaganLimbaugh link=topic=585057.msg9437723#msg9437723 date=1711933786 uid=13824
Hubert Horatio Hornblower.

I listened to that gaffe in 1980 with a crowd of fellow Democrats.  It was awful.

Carter did vote for HHH in 1968.  He voted for LBJ in 1964.  He has said that he voted for McGovern in 1972, but he never said a nice thing about him in public, and there was no love lost between McGovern and Carter.  (McGovern called Carter " . . . the biggest p---k in politics" in 1972 and voted for Ford in 1976.)

ReaganLimbaugh
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2024, 07:20:35 PM »

(McGovern called Carter " . . . the biggest p---k in politics" in 1972 and voted for Ford in 1976.)

*I dont doubt the above is true but may I ask what your source is on the above?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2024, 12:52:49 AM »

(McGovern called Carter " . . . the biggest p---k in politics" in 1972 and voted for Ford in 1976.)

*I dont doubt the above is true but may I ask what your source is on the above?

I cannot remember my exact source on the "biggest p---k" comment; it's something I've read a long time ago.

Voting for Ford is something I remember McGovern coming out with when he said it back in the 1970s.

wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2024, 01:17:16 AM »

This reminds me a bit of Gore, who was elected to the Senate as an Atari moderate and ended up being seen as an enviromental activist.

Also, it reminds me of the Alan Garcia gang, who were economic left populists in the 1980s and later became  right wingers.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2024, 01:37:49 AM »

He wasn't as racist as Maddox, but yeah his attacking Sanders for marching with a black man didn't age well.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2024, 07:09:47 PM »

Here was the result of the 1966 Georgia Democratic Primary:

Democratic primary results[3]
Party   Candidate   Votes   %
Democratic   Ellis Arnall   231,480   29.38
Democratic   Lester Maddox   185,672   23.56
Democratic   Jimmy Carter   164,562   20.89
Democratic   James H. Gray   152,973   19.41
Democratic   Garland T. Byrd   39,994   5.08
Democratic   Hoke O'Kelley   13,271   1.7

From Wikipedia (on Ellis Arnall's record as GA Governor in the 1940s):

Arnall obtained the repeal of the poll tax, ratification in 1945 of a new state constitution, and a state employee merit system. He also retired the Georgia state debt. When young men were drafted into the armed forces during World War II, Arnall argued that youths old enough to fight in war should be able to vote for their country's leadership. He succeeded in lowering the voting age to eighteen more than two decades before the 26th Amendment to the United States Constitution implemented that change nationally. Georgia thus became the first state to grant the franchise to 18-year-olds. Arnall also removed the prison system from under the governor's direct control, establishing a board of corrections to oversee state prisons and a pardon and parole board to handle such requests. He removed the University of Georgia from political machinations,[8] and he led efforts to prevent a governor from exercising dictatorial powers, as opponents of Governor Eugene Talmadge had allegedly stated, had occurred during that administration. Arnall's reforms won him attention from the national press. Additionally, Arnall, a proponent of civil rights, argued that African Americans should be able to vote in the state's primary election.[9]

From Wikipedia (on Jimmy Carter's posture during the 1966 primary process:

Arnall's last campaign was for governor in 1966. His primary opponents for the nomination were Lester Maddox, an Atlanta restaurant owner who had hoisted ax handles as a symbol of his opposition to desegregation,[11] and Jimmy Carter. Maddox called Arnall "the granddaddy of forced racial integration ... a candidate who would never raise his voice or a finger - much less an ax handle - to protect the liberty of Georgia."[12] Arnall practically ignored Maddox and concentrated his fire on Republican Howard Callaway, on whom Arnall had compiled a dossier that he said would guarantee Republican defeat in the general election. Arnall won a plurality of the vote in the primary but was denied the required majority, because of support for Carter, then a state senator representing Plains, Georgia. Arnall barely campaigned in the runoff, and the result was a surprising victory for Maddox. Carter had refused to endorse Arnall, but he formally supported Maddox in the general election against Callaway.[13]

I was part of this Carter's primary campaign in 1976.  Most people were supporting Carter because he was a guy who could take out George Wallace in the South, which would deflate Wallace's ability to hold Southern votes hostage.  They knew that the Southern states were needed for the Democrats to be competitive, and they were a bloc of states that elected Democrats locally.  But it was a compromise pick from folks that just got blown out 521-17 in the EC.  They needed Carter to defeat Wallace, and Carter said all the right things about Civil Rights, but he was NOT a Democrat who had been with them in their causes; he was a guy they needed to avoid losing an election they were supposed to win.

Knowing what Theodore White called "the slick and gimmicky Carter" was, and how it manifested itself, my view as Jimmy Carter, the Humanitarian, is somewhat tempered.  In politics, he was more than a little opportunistic, and his main cause was himself and his advancement.  He was thinking of the Presidency in 1972, and I would not be shocked if he were thinking about it when he ran for Governor in 1966.  Carter wasn't a BAD person, but he wasn't particularly courageous.  James David Barber put it well; Carter STOOD, but he did not LEAD.
katelyn not caitlin
katelyn.a.paulie
Rookie
Australia

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2024, 12:21:21 PM »

He wasn't as racist as Maddox, but yeah his attacking Sanders for marching with a black man didn't age well.

Yes (Prime) Minister: "A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist".

You needed to say and do those things to get elected in the Deep South in 1970. In much of "flyover country" today, you still have to. Especially since SCOTUS, well, you know.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies