Most Likely (and best) VP for Rand Paul? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 30, 2024, 12:28:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Most Likely (and best) VP for Rand Paul? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who will Rand pick?
Ted Cruz

Scott Walker

Mitch Daniels

Jim DeMint

Mike Pence

Justin Amash

Mike Lee

Marco Rubio

Nikki Haley

Other (Please name this 'other')

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Most Likely (and best) VP for Rand Paul?  (Read 2366 times)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« on: February 07, 2014, 09:59:22 PM »

It's an interesting question.

Ted Cruz doesn't seem to have any political convictions aside from being a generic Republican stuff, so he would likely just pick anyone who could help him win.

Rand Paul has some idiosyncratic views. He needs a running mate who doesn't scare the center, doesn't damage his brand and can be a prominent part of his administration.

Running mates can hurt a lot more than they can help, so a big part of the calculus is avoiding harm.

Looking at the poll choices, Cruz has little upside. Walker offers geographic balance and executive experience, although there isn't much demographic upside. Daniels would be an elder statesman type pick, although he did work in the Bush administration. DeMint offers even less upside than Cruz. Pence is a religious nut who under-performed Romney in Indiana. Amash has similar views, but could scare the center. Lee's not going to add much to the ticket, but he can be an effective spokesman with less national baggage than other tea partiers. Rubio's a generic choice. Haley has to win reelection convincingly in order to be considered.

Tim Scott was mentioned as a possible pick, and he would help with the obvious accusations against a guy whose father published some racist newspapers.

Paul probably needs someone with conventional qualifications (Senator/ Governor/ Cabinet) since there aren't many outsiders sufficiently known enough to be plausible on a national ticket. Maybe if Bill Gates wasn't an atheist (although I also doubt he's interested.)

Rick Snyder could help in Michigan, and combines business acumen with conventional qualifications. But he's also a middle-aged white guy.

Jindal doesn't offer much geographic diversity, although a young smart Indiana can help rebrand the party, and it does give favorable emphasis to Paul's medical background.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 01:10:41 PM »

Of that list, Rubio would be the best choice, with Walker for a close second.

Well according to you, who will and/or who should Rand Paul pick, in order to be competitive?

I don't think he'll get the nomination, but if he did I think he should consider the following:

Kelly Ayotte
Deb Fischer
Bobby Jindal
Ron Johnson
John Kasich
Susana Martinez
Rob Portman
Marco Rubio
Brian Sandoval
Tim Scott
Rick Snyder
Pat Toomey
Scott Walker
Ayotte seems to have different views on foreign policy, although he she seems like an effective fit (diversity, regional balance and strength in a swing state.)

Fischer hasn't been tested on a national level, and doesn't bring much in terms of experience, but helps with diversity and arguments for conservative government.

Johnson's similar to Rand Paul (outsider elected to Senate in 2010 by Tea Party support), but he could be an amplification choice, and help in Wisconsin.

Sandoval's Pro-Choice, and likely to be running for Senate.

Toomey seems like too much of a generic conservative activist to appeal to the middle/ help the Paul campaign.

I don't know why you have all these men in the poll, Paul or whoever the GOP nominee is would be dumb not to pick a female running mate.

Of course a female pick will be interesting. But do you think Susana Martinez, McMorris Rodgers, Kristi Noem or another one would accept?

I also think that Rand Paul's VP should be someone who shares some of his views (Foreign Policy would be an important issue) but could also appeal to the center and independents.
Martinez doesn't seem interested in national office.

Noem and McMorris Rodgers are ambitious enough that they'd probably say yes. Noem considered a senate primary against a popular former Governor. McMorris-Rodgers gave the SOTU response. As legislators, both would arguably benefit with the higher profile that comes with a credible bid for national office, even if the ticket loses.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 09:29:29 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2014, 09:31:18 AM by Mister Mets »

Bumping this old thread because I don't see much point to having people rewrite things they posted months ago.

Thought of one more potential Veep for Rand Paul: Luis Fortuņo, the former Governor of Puerto Rico.

Fortuņo is a Hispanic libertarian favorite with executive experience who would allow Rand Paul to emphasize a policy goal that could motivate voters: the addition of Puerto Rico as the 51st state.

He lost a close reelection in a very Democratic year.

It would be the type of choice that wouldn't upset the base, and wouldn't hurt Paul's brand.

Given Paul's current focus on policies that have hurt African Americans, Tim Scott may be the likeliest choice though.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 07:12:30 AM »

Amash for a perfect ticket, Walker or Martinez for somebody different.
I don't know why people want Amash so badly. I mean, I like the dude, but who's going to be the face of the Liberty Caucus in the House? Any1 like Massie could easily fill his spot for a Paul/Liberty ticket.

While I'd love to see either DeMint and Amash on a national ticket, both would alienate the GOP's moderate and Neoconservative factions respectively. In a reasonable scenario, Paul would probably pick Tim Scott or Ben Carson.
Neo-cons are more than likely going to vote for Hilary. They have made it very clear to be completely honest. Tim Scott might not even win his election.
I'm pretty sure Tim Scott's safe.

I don't see Amash ever being chosen for Veep because of his disagreements with Republican leadership. It suggests a guy who doesn't play well with others.

I don't know why you have all these men in the poll, Paul or whoever the GOP nominee is would be dumb not to pick a female running mate.

People don't vote for VP ya social justice warrior
They don't vote for VP, but the wrong veep can hurt the top of the ticket. That said, limiting the selection to women could be problematic.

Aside from Haley, I'm unaware of female running mates who would be good fits for Rand Paul. Rice and Ayotte are aggressive on foreign policy. Blackburn's another white southerner. Mcmorris-Rodgers is a generic Republican legislator, which doesn't fit Paul's brand as well. Carly Fiorina might make the long list, but she may have too little political experience to match a one-term Senator.

While I'd love to see either DeMint and Amash on a national ticket, both would alienate the GOP's moderate and Neoconservative factions respectively. In a reasonable scenario, Paul would probably pick Tim Scott or Ben Carson.
I don't see much in Carson's background to suggest a guy who is ready to be a heartbeat away from the presidency.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies