IDS Budget and Tax Committee
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:38:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  IDS Budget and Tax Committee
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: IDS Budget and Tax Committee  (Read 17013 times)
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2011, 09:02:37 PM »

Puerto Rico puts out about $3.742 billion into the US treasury.

Budget:
revenues: $8.1 billion Central Government, $25 Billion with Public Corporations
expenditures: $9.6 billion Central Government

Personal Tax rates
Married couple filing jointly, married person who did not live with his (her) mate, single person, head of family, succession or trust

Net taxable income
 Tax
Not exceeding $2,000  7%
In excess of $2,000, but not exceeding $17,000  $140 plus 10% of the excess over $2,000
In excess of $17,000, but not exceeding $30,000  $1,640 plus 15% of the excess over $17,000
In excess of $30,000, but not exceeding $50,000  $3,590 plus 28% of the excess over $30,000
In excess of $50,000  $9,190 plus 33% of the excess over $50,000

Married person who lived with his (her) mate, filing separately

Net taxable income
 Tax
Not exceeding $1,000  7%
In excess of $1,000, but not exceeding $8,500  $70 plus 10% of the excess over $1,000
In excess of $8,500, but not exceeding $15,000  $820 plus 15% of the excess over $8,500
In excess of $15,000, but not exceeding $25,000  $1,795 plus 28% of the excess over $15,000
In excess of $25,000  $4,595 plus 33% of the excess over $25,000

Corporate rates:

- 7% maximum corporate income tax rate with some qualified companies paying as little as 2 %.

- 2-0 % special corporate tax rate for “Pioneer Industries”
http://www.offshorecorporation.com/puerto-rico/
http://www.dollarman.com/puertorico/taxes.html

Hope this helped somewhat.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2011, 10:16:04 PM »

It seems rather disastrous if true in regards to spending, as the region's base spending was taken to be the sum of all state spending, so that seperating it would essentially just mean that every item is being paid for twice. It however does seem very problematic as well in regards to taxation. As such, I think we may actually want to act ASAP in order to eliminate double taxation, because we cannot afford to be taxing our citizens so heavily.
That assumption for spending was (as far as I am aware) made just for this project.  Unless that exists in a law, we can discount it and assume that said items were only paid for once, by the state governments.

Taxation is certainly a major problem.  We will have to pass a massive tax overhaul once we finish with this.

But as I said earlier, we're not looking at taxation & spending by local governments. This is a project for the regional budget; not local budgets or state budgets. If that's the case, we can discard the bases altogether & just look at the rates provided for by the regional statute.

Going that way, we should use the Unified Law Code Initiative, take the rates for Georgia, & extrapolate them for the whole region. Given that those are provided for by the regional statute, that would probably be the most rigorous way to do it.
I guess I wasn't clear.  I'm not talking about the overall direction of the committee.  What I am talking about is temporarily separating the two for the purpose of calculating the budget.  The "local government" figures will be added back into region spending.  Think about it this way; we have the "base spending & revenue" of the states.  Now we need to find the base spending and revenue of the region.  Then we can combine the two.

I am not sure that it is desirable to include local figures or even state figures under regional figures. It gives the region much more leeway for future actions to not treat it as a wholly unitary entity.
That may be so.  But if we aren't going to include the state government budgets in ours (co-opt them, you might say) then the region is reduced to leveling its own taxes to pay for its expenses.  Which leads us back to the current problem of having a massive corporate income tax (when put into perspective on top of state and federal taxes) and a series of excise taxes providing a large income for a very small budget (we built a pentagram- I can't think of any other expenses).

Aye, my thought is that either way we are going to have to do something pretty soon. I have a couple of ideas for new bills, but I'll wait to post them if we have something more pressing to deal with.

Also, many thanks to Viceroy Taft for contributing numbers for Puerto Rico. I am currently busy with schoolwork, but I should be able to help too in the near future.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2011, 10:45:49 PM »

Cheesy

i luv u

*sloppy wet kiss*
     It seems rather disastrous if true in regards to spending, as the region's base spending was taken to be the sum of all state spending, so that seperating it would essentially just mean that every item is being paid for twice. It however does seem very problematic as well in regards to taxation. As such, I think we may actually want to act ASAP in order to eliminate double taxation, because we cannot afford to be taxing our citizens so heavily.
That assumption for spending was (as far as I am aware) made just for this project.  Unless that exists in a law, we can discount it and assume that said items were only paid for once, by the state governments.

Taxation is certainly a major problem.  We will have to pass a massive tax overhaul once we finish with this.

But as I said earlier, we're not looking at taxation & spending by local governments. This is a project for the regional budget; not local budgets or state budgets. If that's the case, we can discard the bases altogether & just look at the rates provided for by the regional statute.

Going that way, we should use the Unified Law Code Initiative, take the rates for Georgia, & extrapolate them for the whole region. Given that those are provided for by the regional statute, that would probably be the most rigorous way to do it.
I guess I wasn't clear.  I'm not talking about the overall direction of the committee.  What I am talking about is temporarily separating the two for the purpose of calculating the budget.  The "local government" figures will be added back into region spending.  Think about it this way; we have the "base spending & revenue" of the states.  Now we need to find the base spending and revenue of the region.  Then we can combine the two.

I am not sure that it is desirable to include local figures or even state figures under regional figures. It gives the region much more leeway for future actions to not treat it as a wholly unitary entity.
That may be so.  But if we aren't going to include the state government budgets in ours (co-opt them, you might say) then the region is reduced to leveling its own taxes to pay for its expenses.  Which leads us back to the current problem of having a massive corporate income tax (when put into perspective on top of state and federal taxes) and a series of excise taxes providing a large income for a very small budget (we built a pentagram- I can't think of any other expenses).

Aye, my thought is that either way we are going to have to do something pretty soon. I have a couple of ideas for new bills, but I'll wait to post them if we have something more pressing to deal with.
Sounds good.  I feel like I had something important to say but I just finished a section of The Ultimate Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy and my brain is feeling a bit scrambled.  Maybe tomorrow we'll do something constructive.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2011, 09:51:25 AM »

In the words of the President "Let me be clear."

Two Categories
-State Spending/Revenue: Taken from Badger's excellent website, all real data, the "base values"
-Regional Spending/Revenue: Everything passed as an initiative or a bill

We find the categories of each (State is already done) and present our findings.  That means that we will have the budget history of the region up to the present.  From there we will combine the two, do the overhauls, and mold the budget into shape.

I think Yelnoc's got it here, though Emperor PiT is absolutely right about just leaving local spending off the ledgers. As regions are the Atlasian equivalent of states in RL, the spending and taxing by local municipalities doesn't affect the regional budget. Local governments are separate entities from regions in Atlasia and states in RL, so the IDS regional government can't control those decisions.

(Okay, technically the region could pass laws limiting local governments' ability to levy taxes, but lets get a firm grip on the IDS Regional Budget before we start worrying about local municipal budgets. Wink)

The level of adherence to regional legislative history (i.e. prior laws passed regarding taxing and spending) is totally up to you guys. Just know that you guys do have the option here of essentially "reboot", either partial or total, for budgeting purposes. Also know the GM's Office determined the IDS has a rainy day fund of $25 Bil; that's all you need to worry about for now regarding prior debt or deficits.

@ Taft: Nice job finding info on PR!

@ Yelnoc: Thanks for the RL state income tax data. Cheesy I'll try getting to an analysis soon to construct an "average" RL regional income tax rate.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2011, 08:29:39 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2011, 01:46:29 PM by Imperial Speaker Yelnoc »

2011 Budget

Regional Spending
Pensions
-Base: $0

Health care:

Education:
-Tertiary Education/Other Capital Outlay-Higher Education/Southeastern Educational Incentive Act: $3.5 billion
-Pre-Primary through Secondary Education/Other Capital Outlay - Elementary and Secondary Education/School Choice Initiative: $56.4 billion
-Total: $59.9 billion

Defense:

Welfare:

Protection:

Transportation:

General government:

Other spending:
-Cultural Services/Pentagram Creation Act: $200 million (1 time expense)
-Total: 200 million

Interest:
-Base: $?

Balance:
-Base: -$?

ΣSad
-Total: 61.1 billion

Regional Revenue
Income Taxes:
-Corporate Income Tax/Tax-Corporate Net Income/Put the "free" back in Free Enterprise Bill: 32.5 billion
-Corporate Income Tax/Tax-Corporate Net Income/Southeast Nuclear Energy Initiative, Chapter 4: -66.1 million (-0.0661 billion)
-Corporate Tax Rate: 8.6% (part of Free Enterprise Bill above - remember other provisions).
-Personal Income Tax Rate: 0% (none)
-Total: $32.4339 billion ($32,433,900,000)

Social Security Taxes:  

Ad-valorem Taxes:
-Excise Taxes/Tax-Alcoholic Beverage Sales/Southeast Alcohol Initiative, Section 8: $1.3127 billion ($1.00/proof liter or $0.385/gallon for beer, $0.909/gallon for wine, $3.31/gallon for spirits)
-Excise Taxes/Tax-Tobacco Products Sales/Southeast Tobacco Initiative, Section 6:  $0.04/cigarette ($6,034,000,000/year), $0.08/cigar (?), $2.00/kg tobacco(?)
-Excise Taxes/Tax-Marijuana Products Sales: $3.00/ounce
-Sales Taxes/Tax-Public Utilities Sale/Southeast Nuclear Energy Initiative, Chapter 4: 80% of standard electricity excise tax
-Sales Taxes/Tax-Public Utilities Sale/Southeast Biomass Initiative, Section 3: 80% of standard electricity excise tax
-Property Taxes/Tax-Property/Southeast Nuclear Energy Initiative, Chapter 4
-Transportation/Tax-Motor Fuel Sales/Transportation Commission Initiative, Chapter 3, Section 22: $0.08/liter
-Transportation/Tax-Motor Vehicle License/Fair Consequences Initiative, Section 3
-License/Tax-Other License/Off-Shore Religious Organizations Initiative, Section 2
-Total: ?

Fees and Charges:
-Other/Charges-All Other/Pentagram Creation Act: $5,700,000/year
-Other/Charges-All Other/Safe Roads Initiative, Section 6: $44,400,000/year
-Total: $50,100,000 ($0.501 billion)

Business and Other Revenue:
-Other/Miscellaneous-Net Lottery Revenue/Southeast Lottery Regulations, Section 6 (Amended by Expanding Choice Initiative)

Total Direct Revenue:
-base: $0

Gross Public Debt:

State Spending
Pensions
-Base: $3.81 billion

Health care:
-Base: $121.9 billion

Education:
-Base: $0 billion (pre-Educational Hotfix Act)
-Base: $48.9 billion (post-Educational Hotfix Act - original figure was $73.4 billion)
-Total: $48.9 billion

Defense:
-Base: $0.6 billion

Welfare:
-Base: $40.4 billion

Protection:
-Base: $21.5 billion

Transportation:
-Base: $28.2 billion

General government:
-Base: $7.4 billion

Other spending:
-Base: $18.7 billion

Interest:
-Base: $7.4 billion

Balance:
-Base: -$4.4 billion

ΣSad
-Base: $352.1 billion

State Revenue
Income Taxes:
-Base: $35.6 billion
-Corporate Tax Rate: ?
-Personal Income Tax Rate: ?

Social Security Taxes:  
-Base: $15.1 billion

Ad-valorem Taxes:
-Base: $252.3 billion

Fees and Charges:
-Base: $107 billion

Business and Other Revenue:
-Base: $132.5 billion

Total Direct Revenue:
-base: $544.5 billion

Gross Public Debt:
-Base: $598.7 billion
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2011, 08:33:25 PM »

I am 99.9% sure that the above is correct but you might want to go over it anyway.  We need to figure out the cost of the Pentagram Creation Act and the revenues from the various excise taxes, fees, and the lottery initiative.  Once Badger gets back to us we will have the corporate tax rate for the states.  As far as the 6% personal income tax rate goes, is that based off of the states?  I don't think we passed a low concerning personal income taxes but I may be wrong.  In any event, there is the Regional government exposed.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2011, 09:23:24 PM »

I don't think it's possible to assign any sort of price tag to the Pentagram Creation Act. The act specifies that the pentagram will be several stories in height, which doesn't give us much to work with. Not to mention we'd also have to talk about revenue due to the PCA, since the pentagram is intended to serve as a tourist destination.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2011, 08:38:33 AM »

I don't think it's possible to assign any sort of price tag to the Pentagram Creation Act. The act specifies that the pentagram will be several stories in height, which doesn't give us much to work with. Not to mention we'd also have to talk about revenue due to the PCA, since the pentagram is intended to serve as a tourist destination.
We could always do a PNOOCAM (Pull Numbers Our Collective Asses Maneuver).
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #133 on: April 07, 2011, 12:17:20 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2011, 12:20:16 PM by Emperor PiT »

Pretty much. The Transamerica Pyramid was built from 1969-1972 & cost $32 million. Assuming we want a landmark of similar importance & adjusting for inflation, let's say the Imperial Pentagram costs $200 million.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #134 on: April 07, 2011, 12:26:08 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2011, 12:28:38 PM by Imperial Speaker Yelnoc »

Pretty much. The Transamerica Pyramid was built from 1969-1972 & cost $32 million. Assuming we want a landmark of similar importance & adjusting for inflation, let's say the Imperial Pentagram costs $200 million.
I like it.  Now, how much money are we getting from it (ticket sales I, think 20%) and how much from the Safe Roads Initiative?

EDIT: I included the figure.  The region has spent 61.1 billion this year but presumably spent a lot more.  Hmm...
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2011, 12:29:25 PM »

You know, we are going to have to codify how we do this budget thing in the future.  I am thinking at the beginning of every year we present a new budget including all of last years appropriations.  Otherwise this will be a mess to keep a handle on.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2011, 12:48:08 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2011, 12:50:29 PM by Emperor PiT »

I like it.  Now, how much money are we getting from it (ticket sales I, think 20%) and how much from the Safe Roads Initiative?

According to Wikipedia, Graceland, Memphis's biggest attraction, sees 600,000 tourists a year. The Pentagram is too new to really be a magnet by itself, but assuming they pay an average of $10/person to go inside (ticket prices would probably be a bit higher & the real number of tourists is probably somewhat higher, but also some tourists would probably not go to the Pentagram), that figures to $6,000,000/year. Since we are obviously not close to recouping the total costs, we'll be getting $5,700,000/year from it.

As for the Safe Roads Initiative, the Department of Transportation says that 44.4 million new & used cars were sold in the U.S. in 2009. Though it was part of a significant downward trend, we'll simplify things by assuming things have remained static since then. Conveniently, dividing by five to find the number of those cars in the region cancels out multiplying by five to account for the amount of the fee, so the Safe Roads Initiative just brings in $44,400,000/year.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2011, 12:50:04 PM »

You know, we are going to have to codify how we do this budget thing in the future.  I am thinking at the beginning of every year we present a new budget including all of last years appropriations.  Otherwise this will be a mess to keep a handle on.

I'm thinking I might keep a running tally on all new taxes & appropriations passed. If nothing else, it gives us a reason to be specific with money totals.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »

I'm thinking I might keep a running tally on all new taxes & appropriations passed. If nothing else, it gives us a reason to be specific with money totals.

Excellant idea. Ideally, that's what a regional budget should be. After the hard part of establishing a first time budget structure and numbers, it could simply be an ongoing tally sheet based on legislation passed (and maybe events from the GM Wink). You only have to do the actual formal annual (orr quarterly "budget or shutdown" resolution like we're seeing in Washington if you really want to (and are masochists Tongue).

BTW: If I don't post an analysis of the region's income tax revenue by Monday, I hereby authorize--even encourage--the IDS to remind/nag me then. Smiley
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2011, 05:14:42 PM »

Great job! Also, a $200 billion surplus seems a little too good to be true. Tongue
Yeah, I have been trying to think of ways around that.  If it's ok with Badger, we can add another item to the revenue category named "Moderator Credit" or some such.  This would consist of enough money for that $200 billion surplus to have been true in April 2010 when it was assigned.  However, each month $10 billion would be automatically deducted until the category was whittled down to zero, where it would likely remain.  In the future it can be used for adjustments and budgets that need to temporarily deviate from reality for whatever reason.

Under that plan, the IDS would be down to $90 billion in moderator credit; $0 would be reached in December 2011.

EDIT: Actually, it will take a tad more that $200 billion to create a $200 billion surplus (duh!).  Instead of subtracting a $10 billion a month, we should subtract 5% of that original number.  If it's ok with you PiT, I will PM Badger about this.

Also, looking at the bills and initiatives that need to be integrated into our budget, I think we will need to add all of the subheadings.  Sad 

Hmmmmm. I'll have to think about this. Actually many states do have a rainy day fund. And while $200 billion may seem a lot, spread out over 10 southern states (including TX and FL)? Maybe not that farfetched.

Anyone have an idea (or willing to check) what the southern states RL rainy day fund (or equivalent) status is like?
This website provides a graph showing the percentage of annual expenditures in 2008 that went into a rainy day fund.  Georgia, the state which IDS law is based off of, devoted between 5% and 10% of its annual expenditures to a rainy day fund.  Assuming that 10% of the IDS budget was added as a rainy day fund, that would create a rainy day fund of $32.21 billion.  Probably not enough to offset the deficit but it's something.

Looking at the underlying data for that graph, it appears Georgia's rainy day fund was only at 5.3% of its annual expenditures. Most other IDS states varied from Arkansas (zilch) to Texas (10.2%).

I have studiously determined that the $200 Billion surplus appears, sadly, to have primarily resulted from accounting errors and overestimation of future receipts which were heavily decimated by the recession. There's also mysterious withdrawls to a Cayman Islands account simply listed under "NCYnk". Grin

Even 10% I'm afraid is not realistic when only Texas meets that level in RL. That said, based on TX having a hugely disproportionate share of regional revenues, some other states being in the 5-10% range, plus a bonus for Yelnoc finding this website and doing preliminary calculations (that's always looked upon favorably by the GM's Office Wink), I'll put the IDS Rainy Day Fund balance at exactly (coincidentally) $25 Bil (or nearly 8% of annual expenditures).

If anyone thinks my numbers are off or unfair in someway, though, I'm always ready to listen.
That's fair.  Darn you NCYnk!!! Wink

I don't have access to any Regional level cash and never have. So even if it was me, it would have had to come through one of you guy's. Tongue Either a really stupid ID thief or a brilliant political hack/CYA setup is what has happened here. Speaking of the Caymen Islands, I have made a business of tracking the accounts of Senators especially involving known tax shelters and money laundering operations. Lets just say that a "certain former Senator" wasn't exactly being Mr. Clean in the spring of 2010. Tongue Sounds convenient that this would turn up. Wink
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2011, 11:05:03 AM »

According to Wikipedia, Graceland, Memphis's biggest attraction, sees 600,000 tourists a year. The Pentagram is too new to really be a magnet by itself, but assuming they pay an average of $10/person to go inside (ticket prices would probably be a bit higher & the real number of tourists is probably somewhat higher, but also some tourists would probably not go to the Pentagram), that figures to $6,000,000/year. Since we are obviously not close to recouping the total costs, we'll be getting $5,700,000/year from it.

As for the Safe Roads Initiative, the Department of Transportation says that 44.4 million new & used cars were sold in the U.S. in 2009. Though it was part of a significant downward trend, we'll simplify things by assuming things have remained static since then. Conveniently, dividing by five to find the number of those cars in the region cancels out multiplying by five to account for the amount of the fee, so the Safe Roads Initiative just brings in $44,400,000/year.
Great, I added that to the budget.  Once we complete the following we will be finished with our regional budget (after which we will simply combine it with the aggregate state budgets).

1) Income Taxes: Derive Revenue figures from the following bills:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

2) Ad-Valorum Taxes: Derive Revenue figures from the following acts:
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2011, 11:11:01 AM »

I will start with this bill.

Section 1 seems to indicate that, when we combine the state and regional budgets, all state revenue derived from Corporate income taxes should be dropped, presumably replaced by the revenue from this bill.

The first provision of section 2 can be ignored since we are simply looking for 2011's budget.  That means we have a corporate tax rate of 8.6%.  Now, how do we determine how much money a corporate tax rate of 8.6% raises?  This is complicated by Section three, which exempts businesses in their first year from taxation and lowers the business tax to five percent for their second year.  Any thoughts?

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2011, 07:31:12 PM »

I had difficulty finding much on corporate incomes, though this article by the Huffington Post suggests a national corporate profit rate of $1.66 trillion/year. Dividing by five, that gives us $332 billion/year in the IDS. Since new businesses obviously don't pull in all that much, I'll simplify things by ignoring their reduced corporate taxes & multiply that figure by 0.098, which gives us a total revenue rate of $32,500,000,000/year. I'm going to assume that our lowish rate combined with a lack of loopholes provided for by the Put the "free" back in Free Enterprise Bill means that we see minimal tax avoidance, unlike our federal counterparts. Grin
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2011, 08:02:29 PM »

I had difficulty finding much on corporate incomes, though this article by the Huffington Post suggests a national corporate profit rate of $1.66 trillion/year. Dividing by five, that gives us $332 billion/year in the IDS. Since new businesses obviously don't pull in all that much, I'll simplify things by ignoring their reduced corporate taxes & multiply that figure by 0.098, which gives us a total revenue rate of $32,500,000,000/year. I'm going to assume that our lowish rate combined with a lack of loopholes provided for by the Put the "free" back in Free Enterprise Bill means that we see minimal tax avoidance, unlike our federal counterparts. Grin
Added to the balance sheet.

Now we have this section of the Nuclear Initiative.

The first order of the day is figuring out how many nuclear plants there are in the southeast.  This site is helpful.
Alabama: 7 units
Arkansas: 2 units
Georgia: 4 units
Louisiana: 2 units
Mississippi: 1 unit
South Carolina: 7 units
North Carolina: 5 units
Puerto Rico: 0 units
Tennessee: 3 units (that are built or at least that information is provided about)
Texas: 4 units
Total: 35 units
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #144 on: April 09, 2011, 09:57:06 PM »

According to the Department of Energy, nuclear plants were responsible for the production of 800 billion kWh of energy in 2009. There are currently 104 active reactors in the United States, so multiplying by (35/104) gives us 270 billion kWh produced in the region.

The Nuclear Energy Institute site provides average costs. Adding up the average costs of fuel, operations, & maintenance gives us a cost of $0.0203/kWh. Rounding up to $0.025/kWh, since they obviously will have to sell for a gain, we get a total revenue of $6.75 billion for sales of electricity produced by the regional nuclear plants.

The results of this provision is essentially a cut into the corporate income tax rate, so we find the amount of this cut by multiplying by the corporate tax rate & the percentage cut provided for by the bill, giving us $66,100,000/year. Please note that this is a decrease to the revenue of the region, as we are providing for a tax break for these plants.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #145 on: April 10, 2011, 10:26:38 AM »
« Edited: April 10, 2011, 10:46:24 AM by Imperial Speaker Yelnoc »

According to the Department of Energy, nuclear plants were responsible for the production of 800 billion kWh of energy in 2009. There are currently 104 active reactors in the United States, so multiplying by (35/104) gives us 270 billion kWh produced in the region.

The Nuclear Energy Institute site provides average costs. Adding up the average costs of fuel, operations, & maintenance gives us a cost of $0.0203/kWh. Rounding up to $0.025/kWh, since they obviously will have to sell for a gain, we get a total revenue of $6.75 billion for sales of electricity produced by the regional nuclear plants.

The results of this provision is essentially a cut into the corporate income tax rate, so we find the amount of this cut by multiplying by the corporate tax rate & the percentage cut provided for by the bill, giving us $66,100,000/year. Please note that this is a decrease to the revenue of the region, as we are providing for a tax break for these plants.
Duly noted.  And final the Ad-Valorum taxes.

Let's start with the sin taxes.  The main obstacle here is determining consumption rates.  I'll go trawl around the internet for alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana data now.

EDIT:
According to this map, the USA in 1998 (or more recent, it doesn't say) consumed between 1,500-2,499 cigarettes per person for a total of 451 billion cigarettes in 1998.

DOUBLE EDIT:
Found this excellent site for revenue from alcohol excise taxes and this one for state tax rates. 

Unfortunately our tax is per liter while those are per gallon and ours is on all alcohol while theirs is broken up into spirits, table wine, and beer categories.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #146 on: April 10, 2011, 02:58:14 PM »

Beer is typically 10-proof & wine 24-proof, to my knowledge. As a proof-liter is the amount of the alcohol that would constitute one liter were it at 100-proof, one proof-liter of beer & wine would be equivalent to 2.6 gallons & 1.1 gallons respectively. That gives us rates of $0.385/gallon for beer & $0.909/gallon for wine.

According to this site, spirits are typically 70-120 proof. Obviously weaker spirits will be preferred over stronger ones, so 80 proof seems like a decent enough guess, especially since it works with the proportions I've heard for alcohol content in beer, wine, & spirits. As such, 1 proof liter of spirits would be equivalent to 1.25 liters on average, or 0.325 gallons. That gives us a tax rate of $3.31/gallon for spirits.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #147 on: April 10, 2011, 09:15:11 PM »

Added those figures.  Now for actual revenue.  Nebraska seems to be the closest to us as far as those tax rates go.  In 2008, made $26,254,000 off all three alcohol taxes.  Nebraska's population is 1,796,619 to our 80,882,282.  That rounds to about 0.02%, suggesting that the IDS's revenue from alcohol sales is in the area of $1,312,700,000 per year, assuming my calculations are correct.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #148 on: April 14, 2011, 02:11:58 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2011, 02:24:03 PM by Imperial Speaker Yelnoc »

I guess I did the alcohol revenue was ok.  I will do the same for tobacco.

This is just for the cigarette tax; I'm not sure how we will find Cigar and Tobacco revenues.  Now, no state in the union has a tax as low as the IDS's piddly 4 cents.  What I had to do was take North Dakota's $0.44 rate, divide by 11 (and thus divide its revenue of 24,127,000 by 11=2,193,363).  Then I divided their population like ours (646,844/80,882,282=.008%).  So, if my calculations are correct, the IDS's revenue from cigarettes alone is $274,261,189 or about .000274 billion.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #149 on: April 14, 2011, 04:15:59 PM »

That looks right, though it should be 0.274 billion. This isn't the UK. Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies