Top Christie ally defects to Bush (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 10:54:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Top Christie ally defects to Bush (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Top Christie ally defects to Bush  (Read 2295 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« on: April 21, 2015, 05:40:26 AM »

Every time I think about declaring the Christie campaign dead, I keep on thinking about McCain's rise from the dead in summer 2007 and his old school style of campaigning that saved him in New Hampshire.

McCain was second in line from 2000, a media darling and was beloved among independents. Fatso has none of those advantages.
No, no, Mike is right. Christie is effectively 2nd in line from 2012 (either he or Ruan us and Ryan won't run) since he had every opportunity to jump in and become the only person with a serious chance to defeat Romney but refused. McCain was nowhere near the media darling that Giuliani was. Frankly, I'd call them equals there. And Christie may not be beloved among independents atm, but he has been and he still is the only Republican getting any Democrats vs. Hillary.

He might be in a slightly bigger hole but campaign style + debate attitude may be able to bring him back. I'm starting to get real confident that Walker will be tough to beat though. Huck or someone may need to steal Iowa to give another establishment candidate a chance.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 06:11:08 AM »

Every time I think about declaring the Christie campaign dead, I keep on thinking about McCain's rise from the dead in summer 2007 and his old school style of campaigning that saved him in New Hampshire.

McCain was second in line from 2000, a media darling and was beloved among independents. Fatso has none of those advantages.

Not to mention that poll after poll shows a majority of Republicans dislike the guy. Even at McCain's worst I don't recall him ever being underwater with his own party.

No but there was also nearly no one below water nationally in 2007. It was a different time for favorability ratings. McCain dropped to net negative for the overall voting population in August when he fell to a distant 4th in a non-divisive field. That was supposed to be the signal of the end.

Don't forget, Christie's been down before with Repubs post-Bridgegate and was still statistically leading polls later that year.
I feel like there are Republicans out there upset about pensions and they are using the "he hugged Obama" and "he is corrupt" excuses again but he can fix that in national campaign mode unlike say Corbett who was not that type of leader who could be instantly likable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies