Taft-Hartley Reinstatement Act (Tabled) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 01:57:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Taft-Hartley Reinstatement Act (Tabled) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Taft-Hartley Reinstatement Act (Tabled)  (Read 1255 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: October 22, 2014, 06:32:17 PM »

Thank you PPT Lumine and fellow Senators,

I have absolutely no problems with the right of labor unions to advocate for better conditions and compensation for their membership. Taft-Hartley protects that. It also laid out provisions to prevent social unrest due to labor stoppages. Do not business owners have the right to protect their property against violent strikes? Section 2 proscribes the practice of "Card Check" due to the fact that "card check" gives unions undue and overwhelming influence and forbids management its rights to protect its right to whatever business practices it chooses within the scope of preceding labor laws. Should non-Union labor have the right to enter whatever field they choose without governmental or corporate coercion or force? I and legal(American) precedence would have to say yes.

To those who wish to table my bill, what is your foundational problem with management reasonably protecting their interests?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 02:09:09 AM »

I'll counter Polnut's question with this,

Why should unions have the right to prevent a secret ballot?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 11:38:39 AM »

Are you aware that section 2 is blatantly unconstitutional, JCL?

Show me where the Atlasian constitution would forbid section 2. Unions don't have the right to force an individual to publicly reveal how they voted in a election to decide wether or not to bring a union into a company.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 02:24:46 PM »

Nay
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 04:35:39 PM »

Bore, you're lack of confidence is disappointing. I was actually considering changes. I'm just gonna have to reintroduce this bill with said changes in the new session.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 09:38:15 PM »

Bore, you're lack of confidence is disappointing. I was actually considering changes. I'm just gonna have to reintroduce this bill with said changes in the new session.

This thing is never going away is it...

Not until we have a fair debate and our governments overly pro-labor union policies are critically examined and possibly changed to a more neutral position. For this bill to be tabled without a fair, honest, passionate, and civil debate is disappointing.

I was hoping you, Lumine, Deus, and I work together on such a project but Lumine will likely be President elect so that kinda makes my idea moot. 😔

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 10:34:31 PM »

Passion is not what was necessary, it was reason and logic.

It would be different if you could give some recent examples where this problem is being experienced. As it just seems a lot of anti-union right-wing talking points.

Fair and honest is reason and logic. Show me where letting unions running roughshod over management and denying secret ballot has been beneficial to the individual worker more than the union lobbies that fill the coffers of many powerful Atlasians?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 10:46:53 PM »

Passion is not what was necessary, it was reason and logic.

It would be different if you could give some recent examples where this problem is being experienced. As it just seems a lot of anti-union right-wing talking points.

Fair and honest is reason and logic. Show me where letting unions running roughshod over management and denying secret ballot has been beneficial to the individual worker more than the union lobbies that fill the coffers of many powerful Atlasians?

Again... no examples. As this was your Bill and this wouldn't be a tiny reform, the onus is on you to show why this needs to be addressed.

There's a lot of flowery and passionate language, but no indications of a specific problem that requires remedy, and this specific remedy.

The onus is on the left who repealed the law without consideration it's consequences.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies