Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 04:07:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does uniting the right in Alberta mean the NDP is toast next election?
Absolutely they are done like dinner

NDP still might win, but will be a steep hill to climb

NDP will likely win, UCP too extreme

NDP will definitely win

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Canada General Discussion: Trudeau II  (Read 194095 times)
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« on: April 02, 2016, 08:53:34 AM »

Wow, that's brutal. It reminds me of the global trend in the left - people caring more about being hip and cool and random SJW issues (MOAR REFUGEES!!!) than actual progressive economic policy (say what you must, but the NDP wouldn't have had pulled a 30b deficit out of nowhere).

On the other hand, I have family who work in NDP politics, so I should make fun of them the next time we meet up.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 10:05:17 AM »

If I were him, seeing the number of ex-caucus members or current not supporting me, I would exit the party as quickly as possible if I had another interesting job opportunity.

Maybe he'd become a Conservative, he already tried being a Liberal.

The Review is tomorrow, right?

That's quite unfair, as there is no provincial NDP in Quebec.

Yes, he was a member of the Quebec Liberal Party.

Which means he really could give being a Tory a shot.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 10:07:46 AM »

The PLQ is whatever you want it to be baby.

See, I can't tell if this is a joke or not because this is probably their actual M.O.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 11:02:54 PM »

Well, it's not my New Democratic Party of 2011 anymore. That was peak NDP and now we're back to full on "shoot self in the foot for the sake of it" mode. At least Horvath isn't horrible, I'll continue to support her and the provincial party, but at least I won't have to live under Premier Brown.

I hardly consider peak NDP being at the point when the Liberals are to the left of you.

Cool, but living under an NDP opposition was the only good thing about a Conservative majority at the time, and they were a damn good opposition under competent leadership. I don't give a damn about some poor stupid delegates thinking that the party doesn't seem to be left-wing enough for them. They've only put another obstacle in the NDP's long road out of obscurity.

Being a rhetorical carbon copy of the Liberals is a sure fire way to obscurity though. It's unfortunate, but the Libs have triangulated, and the NDP needs to distance themselves. It's not going to get them power, but it will save them from being wiped out.

The NDP wasn't a carbon copy of the Liberals. They were much more fiscally responsible, well-versed in policy, and serious about governing. Which is why Trudeau won.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 06:35:16 PM »

Well, it's not my New Democratic Party of 2011 anymore. That was peak NDP and now we're back to full on "shoot self in the foot for the sake of it" mode. At least Horvath isn't horrible, I'll continue to support her and the provincial party, but at least I won't have to live under Premier Brown.

I hardly consider peak NDP being at the point when the Liberals are to the left of you.

Cool, but living under an NDP opposition was the only good thing about a Conservative majority at the time, and they were a damn good opposition under competent leadership. I don't give a damn about some poor stupid delegates thinking that the party doesn't seem to be left-wing enough for them. They've only put another obstacle in the NDP's long road out of obscurity.

Being a rhetorical carbon copy of the Liberals is a sure fire way to obscurity though. It's unfortunate, but the Libs have triangulated, and the NDP needs to distance themselves. It's not going to get them power, but it will save them from being wiped out.

The NDP wasn't a carbon copy of the Liberals. They were much more fiscally responsible, well-versed in policy, and serious about governing. Which is why Trudeau won.

Those differences were glossed over by most voters though.

The NDP still managed to sort-of-survive. If anything, I suspect Trudeau's unseriousness and moral preening is what propelled him to victory among the Laurentian elites and the Yuppie "left".
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 02:47:41 AM »

If anything, you understated how badly the NDP was going to get wrecked. Tongue

Harper always wanted a two-party system in Canada. He got it. Except the other party isn't the NDP.

In the sense that the Tories can't nominate another Harper, that seems about correct. The old coalition between a solid West and a solid Ontario doesn't really seem plausible anymore to me. A mathematical Tory majority seems hard without Quebec.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies