NASCAR bans Confederate Flag from races, drivers issue statement supporting Black Lives Matter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 05:22:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NASCAR bans Confederate Flag from races, drivers issue statement supporting Black Lives Matter
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: NASCAR bans Confederate Flag from races, drivers issue statement supporting Black Lives Matter  (Read 5152 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2020, 09:30:52 PM »

And as I just post that, the best person on Twitter makes the point as well as I could imagine.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2020, 01:29:22 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2020, 01:45:27 AM by lfromnj »

I will wait.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2020, 04:52:36 AM »

NASCAR didnt ban Confederate flags from flying, they banned those flags from flying at races. The far right is acting like Confederate flags have been permanently banned, they've allowed to fly their flags, which they are doing in the parking lot
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2020, 02:40:09 PM »

OK. Simple quiz. Is there something wrong with displaying this flag in public?

(Note that some of the symbols may be offensive, so if you find certain flags too offensive to witness, then go ahead and pass this post by, snowflake. I do not endorse any of these causes.

This flag, that of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, is outlawed in several countries, including the Federal Republic of Germany in the same category as Nazi banners for incitement to genocidal violence. This flag appears in beheading videos.

"Democratic Kampuchea", a small country transformed into one Hellish concentration camp. It is safe to assume that people who survived this regime would consider this flag an affront.

Any Commie banner obviously offends anti-communists, especially with "class" and "ideological" enemies. This flag may have lost some of its sting when Gorbachev was the leader, but that is not for what it is most remembered. By default it does honor Soviet war dead in World War II, so that use is understandable. It is also the banner of Stalinist butchery.

This is more appropriate for honoring the sacrifices of so many Soviet citizens against the Hitler clique:

What could be the problem with this banner?

Undemocratic in the extreme, grossly distorts the interests of any part of the Korean people which it abuses badly, and by no means a republic. It melds two of the worst traditions of world political systems: Marxism-Leninism and absolute monarchy.

In use in Mussolini's abject puppet state rendered even more objectionable for its enhanced tyranny and of course complicity in the Holocaust.

No mitigating qualities. Nothing more need be said of this flag.

Flag of the defense of chattel slavery, subsequently used by the fascistic KKK.

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2020, 04:03:31 PM »

pbrower, the ISIS one and the Nazi one are most likely offensive to Australians.

If someone came to the local park sporting either flag, I can personally guarantee that Dad will take his kids in the opposite direction.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2020, 05:35:33 PM »

I think we can all agree this was another case of, fake noose.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2020, 06:59:45 PM »

I will wait.

Nooses can be without racial context. I remember Senator Bob Dole suggesting that he would support a Norwegian and a Japanese company that supplied military technology to the Soviet Union ... and as noose.

The late abrasive talk-show host Morton Downey, Jr. suggested what was an appropriate treatment of drug traffickers -- and showed a noose. After Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait I suggested that he be hanged for prior crimes such as the gassing of the Kurds.

None of this is in an ethnic context.  Treachery, lethal drugs, or war crimes? Nothing racist about that. 

Nooses have contexts other than formal execution, as for suspending recently-killed deer. They are also good grips at the ends of ropes. 

The particularly infamous Klavern 900 of the United Klans of America (Birmingham bombings and the lynching of Michael Donald) -- both now defunct -- put out a card that showed a white man stating that black people were not getting appropriate treatment in courts of law. The other side had a stereotyped African (bone in his nose) with his neck in a noose. That is undeniably racist.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2020, 10:51:04 PM »

I refuse to believe that he simply did not notice this. I actually believed him because it seemed to easy a case to solve. In other words, I refused to believe he was stupid enough to pull off a fake hate crime. Guess I was wrong.

The report says he was assigned garage number four. Perhaps I'm reading between the lines, but it sounds like that assignment was recent. Which would indicate he noticed the Noose only recently.

Seems presumptuous to assume Bubba Wallace would try to draw this type of attention to himself like Jessie Smollett.

He wasn't. He didn't even see it. NASCAR was likely trying to get a photo op showing their love for a fellow driver to protect itself from the bad press of its fans showing up with a zillion Confederate flag protesting the league's decision. It was to create a fake hate crime supporting their stance that what they call a hate symbol needs to be banned and fewer people are enthusiastic about flaunting their rural pride. Bubba had nothing to do with it.

Oh, iz THAT what happened? You smart!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2020, 04:51:01 PM »

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2020, 04:53:56 PM »

That is a noose, people yelling about Bubba needing to apologize need to STFU.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2020, 04:58:33 PM »

That is a noose, people yelling about Bubba needing to apologize need to STFU.

No. It's a ordinary garage pull rope. It just so happened to be the only one tied in a noose.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2020, 04:59:25 PM »

And it was tied back in 2019

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2020/06/23/nascar-fbi-details-noose-bubba-wallace-garage-talladega/3245722001/

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2020, 05:02:08 PM »

https://twitter.com/HeidiNBC/status/1276241329001988099

And it was the only noose in all 1684 garage stalls.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2020, 05:06:16 PM »

Interesting that NASCAR garage staff are so adept at tying nooses knots...
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2020, 05:57:32 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2020, 10:19:15 PM by PQG and Libertarian Republican Pimp Slapped Coronavirus! »

This. Why can't people accept the non contradictory statements that:

One. The noose had been there for a year and the fact it was present in the garage Bubba Wallace got assigned to just as the Confederate flag brewhaha blew up was apparently a very bad coincidence?

2. Based on it being such a huge coincidence between it being Bubba Wallace's garage and right as the Confederate brouhaha blew up, Bubba Wallace and his supporters were completely justified in believing it was a racist threat, even if it turned out not to be.

I will add that, given what a huge coincidence it is and what a scary threat it would have entailed if real, I can understand if Wallace is a bit rattled and reluctant to accept the FBI's determination that wasn't just a coincidence. If something like that happened to me, I might be a little reluctant to blithely and immediately accept that explanation as well.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2020, 10:07:50 PM »

Sorry, you still believe that the NASCAR thing was a hoax?

the picture that was released today is framed to make the rope and loop look WAY larger than it really is.   It’s fake photojournalism as the loop is actually only 2-3 inches.  Also it’s been there since 2019.  I don’t think it was a hoax but nobody should have actually believed it was a noose.

What are you saying?
The "noose" does not have to be an actual, real size "loop" to have the disgusting, negative and racist effect towards a Black person.

(Conversation above was brought-over from another thread. My comment would be more appropriate here in this thread.)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2020, 10:58:51 PM »

Welp, now I've got to do a 75% walkback of my previous walkback.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2020, 01:44:38 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2020, 01:52:17 AM by DINGO Joe »

Just to take things up a notch, some piece of Klan trash named Mike Fulp, who owns the 311 Speedway in Stokes Co NC, decided to put up an ad on Facebook selling "Bubba Rope"

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/vp-ns-north-carolina-speedway-owner-rope-ad-20200625-upphrjlujjai7latr4vzp2hskm-story.html
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2020, 02:09:27 AM »

Why would anyone think to check what garage door pulls look like when assigning garages? That's such a stupid detail to think about.

It's literally just a garage door pull, clearly there was no harm done nor any harm intended. To pretend there was some plan behind it all is just being dramatic.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2020, 02:15:53 AM »

It's literally just a garage door pull, clearly there was no harm done nor any harm intended. To pretend there was some plan behind it all is just being dramatic.
Given the history of The South and the fact that Wallace is the first Black NASCAR driver, perhaps a little drama is warranted?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2020, 02:29:04 AM »

Given the history of The South and the fact that Wallace is the first Black NASCAR driver, perhaps a little drama is warranted?
No, it isn't.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2020, 02:31:49 AM »

No, it isn't.
I mean, it legit looks like a noose. I think an investigation was the smart way to go, especially given this region’s history
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2020, 03:32:28 AM »

I thought businesses cared about making money.  They seem to think the leftist twitter mob is representative of the US population.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2020, 04:11:59 AM »

Yeah, R voters got so bent out of shape about banning Confederate flag, and they are allowed to keep flying their flags wherever but just not at Nascar, overblown incident.

As far as Confederate statues, go to a museum and learn about your history, there is plenty of history still preserved there. You arent removing history
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2020, 05:41:15 AM »

"311" is to KKK fascists a code for "three K's" or "Triple K"... you know what that is. Think also of the special significance that "88"  (H as in Heil, and H as in Hitler) and "18" (A as in Adolf and H as in Hitler) in Nazi parlance. For most people those numbers have no such significance. There is, for example, a US 311 between Danville, Virginia and Winston-Salem, North Carolina. (Until 2019 it extended southeastward of Winston-Salem, but of Winston-Salem, but that highway was removed.

Removing a highway designation for an association with an infamous number has been done, as with US 666 (Mark of the Beast in Revelation 13:15–18). US 666 has been infamous as the "Devil's Highway" for a high rate of vehicle crashes and fatalities.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies