Canadian by-elections, 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 02:53:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian by-elections, 2013
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 40
Author Topic: Canadian by-elections, 2013  (Read 71785 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: August 01, 2013, 09:27:59 PM »

CBC says advance votes have yet to be counted in Ottawa, but doubt that makes a difference...

Depends on if it was a bad poll, or if there was a last-minute swing, or if it was because of the Liberal GOTV... bad poll, no difference, but if the advance votes were cast before a last-minute swing, or if they weren't subject to the Grit GOTV machine, well, then they may. Of course, probably still won't be enough to close the gap.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #501 on: August 01, 2013, 09:28:25 PM »

The real question of the night: How did Al Gretzky get 4% of the vote for the Freedom Party?

Perhaps just his family name.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #502 on: August 01, 2013, 09:28:27 PM »

I actually took more comfort from your analysis than the polls this morning. Tongue
adma
« Reply #503 on: August 01, 2013, 09:29:43 PM »

CBC says advance votes have yet to be counted in Ottawa, but doubt that makes a difference...

Then again, who knows--Ottawa South is one of those places where the Tories can win landslides in the advance polls only to go splat on E-day (it happened federally in '04 and '06)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #504 on: August 01, 2013, 09:31:32 PM »

They mentioned 7000 advance votes IIRC. Holyday still has a 4-point lead with 192/246.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #505 on: August 01, 2013, 09:34:45 PM »

I actually took more comfort from your analysis than the polls this morning. Tongue

Earl always does a sensational analysis. Hopefully he'll get picked up by a media outlet and get paid for it or something.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #506 on: August 01, 2013, 09:35:27 PM »

Checking 308, both polling firms had the PC lead increasing in Ottawa over time.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #507 on: August 01, 2013, 09:36:43 PM »

Earl always does a sensational analysis. Hopefully he'll get picked up by a media outlet and get paid for it or something.

Won't happen. The useless talking heads wouldn't allow it.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #508 on: August 01, 2013, 09:37:16 PM »

Here, here!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #509 on: August 01, 2013, 09:38:37 PM »

Here, here!

Hear, hear, no?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #510 on: August 01, 2013, 09:39:13 PM »

Sun projects a Grit win in Ottawa. We can all agree that's awful...
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #511 on: August 01, 2013, 09:41:06 PM »

Lol. My mistake!
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #512 on: August 01, 2013, 09:42:13 PM »

OLP spin: We won 2. PC spin: We gained a Toronto toehold for the first time in 14 years. NDP: We won 2.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #513 on: August 01, 2013, 09:45:49 PM »

OLP spin: We won 2. PC spin: We gained a Toronto toehold for the first time in 14 years. NDP: We won 2.

OLP rebuke: You lost 3 seats.
PC rebuke: Polls had you winning 4 seats.
NDP rebuke: Being third in all other seats, and in a very distant position in two of them.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #514 on: August 01, 2013, 09:49:04 PM »

Here, here!

Cheesy

Thanks Max for your words of encouragement Wink But, they are true. But, I'm pretty happy with my position now. I might become a talking head if EKOS moves into a more public direction Wink

The NDP are the winners tonight, no doubt about it. The Tories are the losers, surprisingly.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #515 on: August 01, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »

CBC reporting Milczyn has conceded in Etobicoke.

Congrats to all the Dippers here.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #516 on: August 01, 2013, 10:14:01 PM »

W00t. And that's a wrap, folks.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #517 on: August 01, 2013, 10:19:41 PM »

Good result for the NDP; not good for the Tories.

And not really a good result for the Liberals, either. We shouldn't judge things just in relation to the short-term expectations set up by polls. London West is not the kind of riding they want to be way back in third in.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #518 on: August 01, 2013, 10:25:26 PM »

If you take polls out of the picture then, it's not that bad of a night for the Tories. Hmmm.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #519 on: August 01, 2013, 10:34:15 PM »

Even London West?
Kevinstat

« Reply #520 on: August 01, 2013, 10:43:27 PM »

Now that this thread is likely headed into a kind of a lull phase before the pending federal by-elections heat up, I thought I'd repost my questions from earlier this evening (besides one which was answered before I even asked it):

2) Also, a few pages back, but since these five by-elections had become the main elections du jour of this thread, there was some discussion of the provincial ridings that will be in effect for the next election.  Like one riding was "fools gold" for the NDP but a strong showing could help set them up for the next election when the riding will be better for them (I think that might have been SG where Giambrone is running).  Are the new provincial election districts finalized in Ontario?  Will they be the same as the new federal ridings with/without an exception for Northern Ontario like after the last redistribution?  The federal ridings finalized in Ontario, right?  There was an update on that on either this thread or (more likely) the Canadian General Discussion in the International General Discussion board, so perhaps I'll browse through the last several pages there.  But there might have been updates since then (like more provinces finalized).  And how final is final?  I think the House of Commons has to approve the maps, which is why the proposed abandonment of the "rurban" federal constituencies in Saskatchewan isn't a sure thing.  There was also a minority report that from what I've read was unprecedented, at least in SK and possibly everywhere (ie. most of the time the commissioners are eventually able to come to an agreement or the person(s) on the losing side go along with the majority out of custom or something).

3) As Ontario currently has a minority government, it might be worth knowing what the rough time is after which an election called would use the new lines.  Perhaps that date has already passed, which would mean the new lines have definitely been finalized.

Okay, that's enough for now.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #521 on: August 01, 2013, 11:14:47 PM »

I think the fools gold was in reference to Toronto Centre, where the Liberal margin vs the NDP will be cut once the redistribution takes effect.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #522 on: August 01, 2013, 11:17:23 PM »

Early analysis seems to be mostly pro-NDP or pro-Liberal rather than anti-PC, even in the Star.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #523 on: August 01, 2013, 11:19:55 PM »

Less horrible than expected. Always pleasant to see the Purgatories falling flat on their faces; doesn't happen enough.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #524 on: August 01, 2013, 11:23:21 PM »

London West was a shocker.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length