Confirmation Hearing: TyriontheImperialist for Vice President (Questioning) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:18:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: TyriontheImperialist for Vice President (Questioning) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: TyriontheImperialist for Vice President (Questioning)  (Read 6202 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« on: August 23, 2014, 11:01:47 AM »

This is another example of how unclear the rules are regarding things like this. I can see where TNF gets the impression this is okay, but the subsequent text makes it clear that a VP must be confirmed by a majority of Senators. It doesn't say any tie breaking vote need be applied.

It also makes little sense from a practical point of view to allow someone to vote twice. If the PPT were allowed to break ties if the VP was absent, then a situation arises where a senator has 2 votes while the rest have 1. This is unfair. The speaker of the house doesn't have two votes. Likewise for the majority leader of the senate.  

It's perfectly fine to ignore me, I still don't know if I passed the bar yet and I could be completely wrong. What I do know is these rules are far too vague and have caused a lot of headaches over the past few weeks.

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 01:15:33 PM »

It also makes little sense from a practical point of view to allow someone to vote twice. If the PPT were allowed to break ties if the VP was absent, then a situation arises where a senator has 2 votes while the rest have 1. This is unfair. The speaker of the house doesn't have two votes. Likewise for the majority leader of the senate. 

It's perfectly fine to ignore me, I still don't know if I passed the bar yet and I could be completely wrong. What I do know is these rules are far too vague and have caused a lot of headaches over the past few weeks.

That's all your personal opinion. Which is fine. But as to the process of the game, a majority of the Senate has voted to confirm him because the PPT can act as President of the Senate to break ties should the V.P. be gone and so situations like this can reach resolution. Otherwise, you let one bloc of people shut down part of the government. But who knows, maybe they want that.

Yes, that is my opinion, I don't know legally if this is okay or not, which is why this will likely go to court. The constitution is so vague on the matter that it doesn't specify what happens in the event there is a tie. It merely states a "majority of senators" must vote to confirm.

Bring on the court case, I say. Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 02:16:41 PM »

That's all your personal opinion. Which is fine. But as to the process of the game, a majority of the Senate has voted to confirm him because the PPT can act as President of the Senate to break ties should the V.P. be gone and so situations like this can reach resolution. Otherwise, you let one bloc of people shut down part of the government. But who knows, maybe they want that.

Yes, that is my opinion, I don't know legally if this is okay or not, which is why this will likely go to court. The constitution is so vague on the matter that it doesn't specify what happens in the event there is a tie. It merely states a "majority of senators" must vote to confirm.

Bring on the court case, I say. Tongue

"a majority of the senate" Duke, that's different Tongue.

Seriously, I would have agreed with Nix if the wording was "a majority of the senator".
That isn't. The Vice President is a member of the senate while not being a senator, he's the president of the senate.  TNF is at the same time a senator and the acting President of the Senate, I believe he has the right to break the tie.

Yes, my friend, but whether the VP is a member of the senate or not is a whole different argument entirely, and you know I don't believe the VP is a senator at all! I think he is part of the executive branch.

But let's not go down that road. Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies