Demographics and the Electorate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:56:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Demographics and the Electorate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Demographics and the Electorate  (Read 5923 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« on: September 25, 2016, 05:12:28 PM »

The idea that turnout will be depressed in 2016 is pretty laughable imo. While it is true that negative campaigns tend to depress turnout, all else held constant, this explanatory variable has little effect when voters are engaged and have the sense that an election is important. Voters might be disgusted by this election cycle but there is a widespread sense that this election is incredibly important and worth paying attention to. The fact that tomorrow's debate will likely be watched by hundreds of millions is telling. So no, I do not think there is any indication that turnout will be depressed. Black or millennial turnout might be depressed relative to other groups but it will be historically high in absolute terms. Interestingly, early turnout figures suggest that it is "flyover" country that hates this election. Absentee voting figures in Iowa are miserable. Absentee voting figures in North Carolina are pretty remarkable. If I think about this election intellectually, I am convinced that polling aggregates are a mirage in many states and for the country as a whole.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 07:33:31 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2016, 07:36:05 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

I live in flyover country, so if there's a regional difference in turnout models, I'll stand corrected. What I see around me are voters turned off, or if they are regular voters they are voting as soon as they reasonably can. They have learned that by voting early the calls and mail pieces largely stop and that part of the negative campaign stops with them.

Moving more predictably reliable voters to take early ballots is not a sign of higher turnout, but it is good for campaigns to lock down their base so they concentrate on that aspect. The question is what the fair-weather voters are doing, and can they be motivated to vote this year?

This is not going to be a low turnout election...

People are "turned off" because it has lasted so long. There's been an endless stream of news coverage for a year now. This doesn't mean that they aren't going to vote; they almost certainly will. The Brexit campaign was nasty, depressing and disappointed everyone who was involved; turnout was very high though. Elections that have consequences motivate people, even if they're irritated by the shape of those consequences.

No offense but I think that this is wishful thinking on your part. Black voters have been very engaged this year, as demonstrated by their turnout in the Democratic primary, and Latinos are more motivated than they've ever been for obvious reasons. I could see White turnout dropping among some demographics and in certain states but I doubt that there will much, if any dropout, among racial minorities.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies