Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 07:16:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton VP news LATEST: Podesta now calling the losers to tell them its not them  (Read 180836 times)
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: -8.43

« on: July 14, 2016, 07:04:08 PM »

He needs a while for his good brain to come up with an explanation how a couple of concealed firearms in the crowd would have saved everyone from an onrushing truck.

evergreenarbor

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 02:49:27 PM »

I am way more dismayed that Vilsack is under consideration. Literally anybody else is better than him.

The only Democrats I'd be less happy with as VP would be Jim Webb and Lincoln Chafee.
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 08:42:17 PM »

All very true. But you're missing the "first, do no harm" part of any VP pick.

Now, I am very far left, but to me picking Kaine signals that Clinton plans to run (and govern) as Republican lite. Even moreso than Obama.

That is pretty unacceptable to me and raises my chances of staying home or "throwing away my vote" astronomically, even if it may mean Trump winning. If significant numbers of likely voters share me views on this Kaine becomes a risky pick.

Not voting for Clinton is a vote for Trump. I respect your feelings on this, and I share them in a way. But you have to realize it's going to be either her or Trump; no matter how well a third party *might* do, it will not be enough to win. So would you rather have her or him?

Clinton is not a perfect candidate, and she is not the most ideal choice for president. But she is leagues beyond Trump.

I rest my case Smiley.

Eh.

I think Clinton rallying around the base causes substantially less harm than picking a moderate.

Left wingers who are currently not convinced (who DO exist) will not be convinced by more comparison of Clinton to Trump, with no positive reason to vote for her. They're leaning towards staying home.  Moderates currently picking Clinton as the lesser of two evils will either continue to do so, or simply not vote. Trump gains no votes if Clinton picks Warren,  and Clinton loses votes if she picks Kaine.

But this may not even be the most salient point. Having a progressive in the administration is going to be very important if Clinton seeks to govern at all AFTER the election. If she's confident that she can win in a tight race against Trumpence (a pretty reasonable assumption IMHO) would she rather have a progressive ambassador in the Naval Observatory, or a stuffed centrist shirt who can't do anything?

EDIT: This is of course colored by the fact that I'm in the population of people watching Clinton's VP pick to see if I can vote for her. 
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 10:02:53 PM »

I can't believe I'm begging Hillary to pick Kaine at this point. 

He makes sense strategically, is ready, and Vilsack is extremely conservative, despite the fact that i don't like him (Kaine).

I could vote for a Clinton/Kaine ticket, especially with Pence as Trump's VP pick. I'm not so sure that I could vote for a Clinton/Vilsack ticket.
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 11:16:07 PM »

I hope it's Perez. Still think it will be Kaine, though.
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 08:00:04 PM »

...Huh. That's weird.
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 03:31:58 PM »

Breaking.....NYT says it's Kaine:

Clinton Expected to Name Kaine as Running Mate Soon
Democrats close to Hillary Clinton’s campaign signaled that her choice is likely to be Senator Tim Kaine of Virginia, a popular politician from a battleground state.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/07/22/us/politics/tim-kaine-hillary-clinton-vice-president.html

I think we already knew that.
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 03:47:38 PM »

I REALLY hope she's just trying to fake everyone out here.
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 04:15:39 PM »

Wasn't Clinton supposed to start speaking about 45 minutes ago?
evergreenarbor

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 05:34:58 PM »

Nah, it will be Henry Clay. Clay will make Kentucky competitive.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies