Likely next US districts after 2020 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 02:07:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Likely next US districts after 2020 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Likely next US districts after 2020  (Read 9109 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: December 04, 2016, 11:24:03 AM »

also issue one in ohio is supposed to stop gerrymandering

The "reform" they passed in 2015 was only for legislative districts. The wanted to "wait and see how it works" before doing Congressional reform, meaning wait until >2022.

Even then, what they passed wasn't great. It essentially still allows gerrymandering, except the maps would only last 4 years instead of 10 if there was no consensus between the parties. The idea was that a turnover of lawmakers later on could mean a new attempt to get fair maps, but if you rig the legislative districts once you're likely to maintain power through the next round. I think it also allows people to sue if the balance of power is disproportionate, but in state court that means facing a heavily Republican SSC.

Any true reform is going to have to come through the initiative process.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 11:37:57 AM »

When the legislature redrew NC-12 they were responsive to the federal court. You should be content with the new map.

Content based on the argument of racial gerrymandering or content with the map overall? Do you think a 10-3 delegation is representative of the state?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 01:11:11 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2016, 01:23:34 PM by Virginia »

The representatives are representative of their districts. Congress requires representatives to be elected by district.

If you want to defend the old snakelike NC-12 go ahead.

Come on jimrtex, you know exactly what I was saying. You really think the 10-3 delegation NCGOP has locked in for itself fairly represents the people of North Carolina? Or does it unfairly represent one party, whose own members literally stated that they drew it to increase their own representation?

So yes, you are right, "The representatives are representative of their districts," and Republicans have drawn a bunch of districts to ensure their voters and issues are represented above all else. My post was not crafted to draw a response inspired by rigid legal arguments from you, and I made that clear.

So again, not sure whether you're saying we should be content with the map based on arguments revolving around a couple districts, or that the map itself is a "fair deal" for Democrats?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 03:17:14 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2016, 03:22:06 PM by Virginia »

Here: http://www.vpap.org/updates/2394-new-visual-election-results-state-senate-districts/

And as you can see, this is in a dataset where Clinton only won by ~70K statewide when her actual margin with the absentees is over 200K.

Thank you Skill! They also posted the House of Delegates numbers too:

http://www.vpap.org/updates/2398-new-visual-election-results-house-delegates-districts/
http://www.vpap.org/visualizations/2016-presidential-results-by-house

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I was very interested in this. I would have liked to compare to 2012, but I don't have time to search for that and it doesn't seem immediately available. Delegates are up for reelection next year, and I think how Republicans perform there might be a harbinger of sorts in regards to future off-year & 2018 election(s) under Trump's administration, or possibly at the very least just in Virginia. An altered HoD map is possible that could make it easier for Democrats if the upcoming SCOTUS ruling is favorable (but also may make the Senate map a bit more difficult?)

If Trump is to be toxic for Republicans, I'd expect some sharp losses for VA State Republicans over the next 4 years. Those numbers suggest the VAGOP holds 17 HoD districts that Clinton won. There is some potential here for sure.

Anywho, we'll see!

-

Edit: I completely missed your own post edit regarding this. oh well lol
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 08:01:20 PM »

And then 4th circuit judges appointed special masters to redraw the 3rd district, and while they did that, they stole the 4th district.

Hmm, well if this is stealing than hopefully we can really loot the place in 2021.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies