Republican Party Facing a Stacked Deck in Coming Decades... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 09:59:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Republican Party Facing a Stacked Deck in Coming Decades... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republican Party Facing a Stacked Deck in Coming Decades...  (Read 3813 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« on: June 19, 2009, 05:37:42 AM »
« edited: June 19, 2009, 05:39:33 AM by Senator Marokai Blue »

Right, because Hispanics will always trend Democratic even though they voted 45% for Bush just five years ago. The only current minority groups that the Democrats really have a stranglehold indefinitely are blacks. Of course the point about the suburbs is obviously valid now, but the idea that Republicans are doomed because non-anglos are growing is extremely presumptuous.

You do realize that the article is about more than just racial demographics? Even if we're to accept your argument that Hispanics are not going to be solidly Democratic for the foreseeable future, this article is about more than that, it's about white voters declining, it's about young voters becoming increasingly Democratic, more diverse, less religious, it's about the decline of working class whites, which helps Democrats, it's about Democrats making gains among the more educated crowd.

The article here is a broader analysis of trends over the last couple decades and an increasing geographic, ideological, and racial divide that favors the Democrats in almost every way. I've talked about this before. Republicans have a long way to go before they can return to power again in a constant, powerful, sustained way.

Also, I think it's important to remember, as I said in my post I linked to above, that past Republican dominance wasn't really all that strong in comparison to the Democratic strength right now. Democrats at their strongest now are double the strength of the strongest past Republican Senate majority, and around triple the strength of the strongest Republican House of Representatives majority. Republicans basically got lucky in a series of elections, and were kept from losing power because of 9/11. Had 9/11 not happened and Bush's term continued in the lackluster way it was heading at the time, Republicans would have continued to lose power (as they had been doing basically since 1996) and Bush may very well have lost re-election. (And an important thing to keep in mind was that Bush lost the popular vote, despite narrowly "winning" in 2000.)

In short: Demographic, geographic, and ideological trends are going against the Republicans in every conceivable way, and Republican strength at it's strongest has been consistently weaker than Democratic strength at it's strongest because of this country's historical usual Democratic lean over the last 80 years. (Congressionally.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies