Caribbean Free Trade Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:05:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Caribbean Free Trade Bill  (Read 1765 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2006, 06:50:53 PM »

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Haiti, Jamaica, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and Trinidad and Tobago.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this bill.

Sponsor: Sen. MasterJedi
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 07:04:17 AM »

I hereby open up the final vote on this bill. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

1. No tariffs, customs, or restrictions on movement of goods, except those that have been outlawed by the destination or interim nation, shall exist between the Republic of Atlasia, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Haiti, Jamaica, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines and Trinidad and Tobago.
2. The President and other officers of the Atlasian Government shall take such actions as may be necessary to implement the provisions of this bill.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 07:04:58 AM »

Aye
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 07:50:06 AM »

Aye, I guess.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 10:24:49 AM »

As per the Foreign Policy Review, there are no economic restrictions whatsoever on the vast majority of countries, and territories, in this Bill and I have no great reservations about Haiti or Trinidad and Tobago; indeed, it's something we should be doing in the case of Haiti in order to encourage democracy; therefore, I vote Aye on this Bill

Nevertheless, what I said with regards to the South American Free Trade Bill stands in the event of any of these countries taking a step back when it comes to political freedoms and civil rights

'Hawk'
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 01:04:46 PM »

I'm going to have to vote nay on this one too.  Free trade bills need to be more exstensive than just a few lines if they are going to prevent some of the dangers associated with free trade.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 02:51:55 PM »

Abstain, again.  I vaguely like the idea in principle, but the point EarlAW brings is credible... it seems kind of, I dunno, abrupt to just willy nilly say "COMPLETE FREE TRADE!"
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 02:58:58 PM »

I don't think it makes sense to have free trade with British territories, but not the UK (i.e. Montserrat, Virgin Islands).  Is that even possible?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 03:56:22 PM »

Aye
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 01:06:41 PM »

Aye, I suppose.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 02:39:54 PM »

Aye
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 02:53:18 PM »

This bill has enough votes to pass. Senators now have 24 hours to change their votes.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 02:54:54 PM »

With 6 Ayes, 1 Nay and 1 Abstention this bill has passed. I hereby present it to the President for his signiture.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 03:13:03 PM »

I don't think it makes sense to have free trade with British territories, but not the UK (i.e. Montserrat, Virgin Islands).  Is that even possible?

I was just going to bring that up. It may be possible with some of the home rule entities such as Bermuda or the Cayman Islands but not with more controlled territories such as Anguilla or Montserrat. You would have to deal with the British government first before you could negotiate with any of these nations. See this is the problem with unilateral trade agreements you often times approve agreements that aren't agreed to by the other party or that you actually couldn't negotiate with the other party.

I believe trade policy in most British territories as well as the Netherlands Antilles would probably rest first and foremost upon the approval of those nations parliaments and not with the territories in question.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 05:13:27 PM »

Ebowed
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies