TIMELINE: Dukakis wins '88
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 12:25:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  TIMELINE: Dukakis wins '88
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: TIMELINE: Dukakis wins '88  (Read 25959 times)
dudeabides
Tuvalu
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2014, 11:16:41 PM »
« edited: November 19, 2014, 11:27:02 PM by dudeabides »

November 23, 2007 - Richardson: I'm the candidate of experience, not Daschle

LANSING, MI - Democratic Presidential Hopeful Bill Richardson told voters that he, and not Tom Daschle, is the most experienced presidential candidate. "Tom Daschle and I both served in congress, but while Senator Daschle stayed in congress, I left to lead the Department of Education and I served as U.N. Ambassador to Mexico. I dealt not only with the issues a congress and the President deals with, but also issues on education, economic development, immigration, and international affairs" Richardson told voters. He also slammed Daschle's support for the war in Iraq. "I opposed this war from the start, something Tom Daschle didn't do" he added.

November 28, 2007 - Pryor reconciles moderate record with liberal voters

CHARLESTON, SC - Democratic Presidential Candidate Mark Pryor told voters in South Carolina despite the fact that his record was that of a moderate, he was best fit to represent Democratic primary voters in a general election. Pledging more funding for job training programs and infrastructure, Pryor told Democrats he was one of them despite his pro-life, pro-tradditional marriage positions. "I am with my party on most things, but I'm also not afraid to take on the establishment" Pryor stated.

December 2, 2007 - Corzine funds anti-war rally in D.C. as he leads Democrats in fundraising

WASHINGTON, DC - Former Senator Jon Corzine, seeking the Democratic Presidential Nomination, hosted an anti-war rally outside the U.S. Capitol. 2,000 people attended and speakers included Retired General Wesley Clark, Senator Russ Feingold of Wisconsin, and even Republican Senator Lincoln Chaffee of Rhode Island. Corzine, who out-raised his Democratic opponents, spoke as well.

December 10, 2007 - RNC launches attack ad on Gephardt, Daschle ahead of Iowa Caucus

WASHINGTON, DC - The Republican National Committee launched it's first negative television advertising of the 2008 presidential campaign, focused on Democratic Hopefuls Tom Daschle and Dick Gephardt. The ad attacked their position on the war in Iraq, and questioned their consistency and fitness to serve.

December 15, 2007 - Democratic Primary turns negative between Gephardt, Daschle

IOWA CITY, IA - Democratic presidential front-runners Dick Gephardt and Tom Daschle turned up the heat on one another in Iowa with less than a month to go before the Iowa Caucus. "Tom Daschle advocated for NAFTA, refused to post the minimum wage for a vote twice, voted for the Kean tax cuts for the very rich, and supported tax breaks for big oil, I don't think middle class families can afford what Senator Daschle is offering" Gephardt stated. "Dick Gephardt has now run for President twice unsuccessfully. He has refused to work with members of congress on improving NAFTA and reforming our tax code. We Democrats can't afford to lose another election because America needs strong, steady leadership, not someone who doesn't work well with others" Daschle said of Gephardt. With polling showing the pair ahead nationally and in Iowa, the campaign has turned increasingly negative.

December 15, 2007 - Kean speaks out, praises Dole, Braun, Gephardt, and Daschle

NEW YORK, NY - Former President of the United States Tom Kean praised his successor, but also said kind things about her possible general election opponents. "Elizabeth Dole has done everything she promised she'd do in 2004, and given her tremendous integrity, I'm not surprised" Kean said of Dole, who served as his Vice President prior to her election as President. "There is no question that Carol Moseley Braun is serious about governing, she's quite effective" Kean said. He also said that "Gephardt and Daschle are principled people, I have had my differences with them, but I've also worked with them more often than not" he added.

December 20, 2007 - Braun all in in New Hampshire, Corzine spending in early states, Daschle & Gephardt running national campaigns as Richardson, Pryor struggle for resources

WASHINGTON, DC - With polls showing a tight race between Former Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle and Former House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt, both men have continued to run national campaigns. Gephardt and Daschle have continued to trade barbs in Iowa especially. Governor of Illinois Carol Moseley Braun,  4th in fundraising, has focused heavily on New Hampshire. Braun has run an ideologically free campaign, and analysts say she is an attractive general election candidate. But, she has scarce resources despite having a strong grassroots support network in New Hampshire. Former Senator Jon Corzine, running as the anti-war candidate, has been spending money in Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Florida. Corzine leads the candidates in the money race. Meanwhile, Senator Mark Pryor struggles for resources, as he is considered too moderate for many Democratic primary voters. Bill Richardson's campaign has not been able to fundraise like he was earlier in the year. While Daschle and Gephardt rely on name I.D. to carry them nationally, Corzine counts on money, Braun on a strong win in New Hampshire, and both Richardson and Pryor rely on major upsets early on.  

January 4, 2008 - Iowa Caucus: Corzine defies the odds

IOWA CITY, IA - Former Senator Jon Corzine defied all of the presidential odds and won the Iowa caucuses, defeating runner-up Tom Daschle 33%-30%. Carol Moseley Braun placed third with 20%, followed by Dick Gephardt, who won the caucuses twice before, in a distant forth with just 10%. Bill Richardson won 4% as Mark Pryor won 2%. Exit polling showed liberals and those opposing the Iraq war were key to Corzine's victory, though Daschle did well with moderates and Braun won overwhelmingly with voters who considered electability a top concern.

January 7, 2008 - Poll: Democratic Primary a toss-up, nation divided over Dole

Democratic Primary
Tom Daschle 30%
Jon Corzine 28%
Dick Gephardt 20%
Carol Moseley Braun 18%
Bill Richardson 2%
Mark Pryor 1%
Other 1%

Dole Approval
Approve: 48%
Disapprove: 47%

General Election Match-Ups

Carol Moseley Braun 48%
Elizabeth Dole 46%

Tom Daschle 47%
Elizabeth Dole 47%

Elizabeth Dole 48%
Dick Gephardt 47%

Elizabeth Dole 48%
Jon Corzine 44%

January 10, 2008 - Giuliani, Watts stump for Dole in New Hampshire

LEBANON, NH - Senator Rudy Giuliani and House Speaker J.C. Watts stumped for President Elizabeth Dole's re-election campaign in New Hampshire in an effort to win media attention from the ongoing Democratic Presidential primary. "President Dole has worked with me and members of both parties to cap federal spending, cut taxes, and reduce the size of the federal workforce by over 10,000 workers per year for the last three years. My fellow citizens, government is smaller, taxes are lower, and the growth of federal spending is less today than it was in 2005" Speaker Watts stated. "President Dole has made clear her vision for the future based on her record. We'll keep taxes low, exercise fiscal discipline, and we'll fund social security, medicare, our military, and pay down the national debt. The Democratic Candidates have come to New Hampshire to promise you more government for less money. That doesn't make sense. They either want to borrow more, tax more, or they aren't telling you the truth. In fact, Senator Daschle has proposed $500 billion in new spending with no way to pay for it" Senator Giuliani stated.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2014, 12:34:38 AM »

January 11, 2008 - New Hampshire Primary: Braun wins, Richardson withdrawals

MANCHESTER, NH - Governor of Illinois Carol Mosely Braun won New Hampshire's presidential primary, defeating opponent Jon Corzine 33%-21%, with Tom Daschle and Richard Gephardt garnering 19% and 17% respectively. Candidates Mark Pryor and Bill Richardson were in single digits, and Richardson ended his presidential campaign. Key to Braun's victory was support from independents and moderates, as well as those voters who considered electability key in nominating a Democrat for President. On the top priority to New Hampshire voters, Iraq, she had a three-point lead over anti-war candidate Jon Corzine.

January 19, 2008 - South Carolina Primary: Braun dominates, Pryor & Gephardt withdrawal

CHARLESTON, SC - Governor of Illinois Carol Moseley Braun won her second straight victory of the 2008 primary season, garnering 50% of the votes cast in South Carolina's Presidential Primary, dominating all ideological and demographic groups. Tom Daschle placed second with 25%, ahead of Mark Pryor (10%), Dick Gephardt (7%), and Jon Corzine (5%). In his third attempt at the presidency, Gephardt ended his 2008 presidential campaign, citing a lack of funds. After a poor showing in a state he considered key to his campaign, Senator Mark Pryor of Arkansas ended his campaign.

January 22, 2008 - Three Democrats debate ahead of "Mini-Tuesday"

"I've had the privilege of serving in Washington, but where I felt I made the greatest impact was in Illinois as a Governor for eight years. I came into office facing a state which lagged behind the region in job growth, which had the highest crime rate in the midwest, and which had the tenth highest rate of high school drop-outs in America. So, I went to work and worked with Republicans and Democrats to get things done. First, we took care of spending. We froze all spending not related to education, pensions, and veterans care. We closed that budget gap by closing corporate tax loopholes, and the following year we passed the largest tax relief in our state's history, we cut taxes on personal income, small and medium-sized businesses, and we reduced property taxes by 15% on seniors and lower income families. We then expanded funding for special needs classrooms in our schools and passed teacher tenure reform. I then went to work and took on crime, we passed three-stikes sentencing laws and added over 7,000 police to our streets. We also, using federal SCHIP dollars as well as our cigarette tax, expanded medicaid to cover all of our uninsured children. Today, Illinois has the second best job growth in the region, crime is down 37%, welfare rolls are down by 42%, and we have a $300 million budget surplus" - Carol Moseley Braun

"The most important aspect of my record is my opposition to the War in Iraq. The next President of the United States must lead with moral clarity and must exercise judgment, and I've done that in the United States Senate on this issue. I will end this war because I know that entering Iraq was a huge mistake. The three of us up here have been in politics, but let's look at our records and compare them. I served six years in the senate after spending most of my life in the private sector, both of my opponents are career politicians. But, each of us has our own record. I am proud to have fought against this war, against this President's judicial appointments, and for making sure this President didn't cut a penny from health care for children. I won some fights, I lost some fights, and I'm proud of my record. Governor Braun and Senator Daschle both supported the war in Iraq, supported the Kean tax cuts for the rich of the last decade, supported vouchering programs key to our seniors, supported the privatization of education, and supported this President's reckless trade policies which have hurt American workers" - Jon Corzine

"In the U.S. Senate, I dealt with every foreign policy issue facing this country. I have been on trade missions to South America 27 times, foreign investment in America is at historic levels in part because of the trade missions I took in 1995 and again in 1997. I also was an effective leader for the Democratic Party, having fought to raise our minimum wage, won passage of medicaid expansion, ensured the environmental cleanup was in President Kean's budget, and I'm proud to have fought to eliminate the federal income tax for middle and lower income Americans. My opponents in this race don’t have the same experience in both foreign policy and domestic affairs that I do, I served for a decade on the senate foreign relations committee and six years on the intelligence committee, Senator Corzine and Senator Braun have less foreign policy experience even combined” – Tom Daschle

“I want to level with the American people about our budgetary situation. We are enjoying a budget surplus in this country, we have the lowest tax burden since the 1920s, and we have a balanced budget. When I was in the U.S. Senate, I proudly supported the Kean tax cuts and a balanced budget amendment to the constitution. But today, we are seeing economic growth that has diminished over the last year, and this President hasn’t done a thing about it. President Dole came into office, passed some minor tax cuts, and then opposed Democrats efforts to invest in infrastructure and worker re-training. As President, I will use the current surplus to continue to pay into medicare and social security, but I also will support an economic stimulus package to invest in infrastructure, more small business tax cuts, and worker re-training. The cost will be around $200 billion over a four-year period. I have said I won’t raise taxes and that’s a promise I intend to keep” – Carol Moseley Braun

“You just heard Governor Braun admit she supported the tax cuts of the late 1990s which benefitted the wealthy and she supported a balanced budget amendment which has led to flat funding for infrastructure improvements, SCHIP, and worker re-training programs. I’ll reverse the tax cuts for the very rich, provide every child in America with health insurance, and invest in education. As far as the economy is concerned, the reason we are in a slowdown period is because wages are stagnant, the real stimulus would be raising the minimum wage and giving tax breaks to companies which raise wages more than 5% per year” – Jon Corzine

January 29, 2008 - Mini-Tuesday: 8 states vote; Braun wins 5, Daschle 2, Corzine 1

CHICAGO, IL - Governor of Illinois Carol Moseley Braun won decisive victories in five states across the nation. With all the votes counted, she easily won her home state of Illinois with 72% of the vote, as well as winning primaries in Arizona, Michigan, Missouri, and Minnesota. Tom Daschle won Wyoming's Democratic Caucus, as well as West Virginia's Democratic Presidential Primary. Jon Corzine managed to secure victory in Delaware's presidential primary.

February 2, 2008 - Gephardt backs Braun for President

ATLANTA, GA - Former Democratic Presidential Candidate Dick Gephardt endorsed Carol Moseley Braun for the Democratic Presidential Nomination. "Carol Moseley Braun has brought independents into the process, and she has proven she can win the hearts and minds of traditional Democrats. I'm confident she has the best chance of defeating Elizabeth Dole in November, and she has my support in doing so" Gephardt stated.

February 7, 2008 - Super Tuesday: 12 states vote; Braun wins 8 contests, Daschle 3, Corzine 1

ATLANTA, GA - Governor of Illinois Carol Moseley Braun won a clean sweep of 8 of the 12 presidential contests voting on Super Tuesday. Braun secured victories in Ohio, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Florida, New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, and Nevada as opponent Tom Daschle won his home state of South Dakota, North Dakota, and Idaho. Jon Corzine secured victory in his home state of New Jersey.

February 8, 2008 - Dole makes first public comments about Democratic Presidential Primary

WASHINGTON, DC - During an interview with Fox News, President Elizabeth Dole made her first comments about the Democrats seeking the nomination to oppose her. "The truth is, even in this rough patch, more Americans are working today than were when the Democrats had the white house, we have a budget surplus as opposed to deficits, welfare rolls are half of what they were when they left office, and wages are higher by roughly 20%, in no twelve year period in history have wages grown by so much" the President said. "It appears Governor Braun is doing well, she is their front-runner and I look forward to a dialogue with her. She believes that the solution in Iraq is to do more nation building as opposed to focusing on training the Iraqis, which is ironic since she has been critical of us for nation building. She also believes that we should spend more on infrastructure despite us passing a highway bill which is the largest in history. In Illinois, their highway trust fund has been borrowed from three years in a row, that's not leadership" the President added.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2014, 04:47:19 PM »

February 10, 2008 - Daschle ends Presidential Bid

WASHINGTON, DC - Former Senate Democratic Leader Tom Daschle ended his 2008 presidential campaign after placing second in both the popular vote and in terms of delegates.

February 14, 2008 - Braun wins contests in Kansas, Nebraska, Indiana

TOPEKA, KS - Governor of Illinois Carol Moseley Braun won decisive victories in Kansas, Nebraska, and Indiana - defeating opponent Jon Corzine by double-digits in each of the three states.

February 15, 2008 - Corzine ends presidential bid

Carol Moseley Braun secures Democratic Presidential Nomination

"Together, you and I have made history. Our campaign has been one which has been focused on bringing our country together and working together to create a new American century. We have promoted my record of cutting taxes, raising standards in education, adding police to our streets, expanding health care access, and demanding accountability in welfare in the state of Illinois. I'll proudly compare my record to the President's, and we will prevail because we offer Americans a clear choice. The President is happy with economic stagnation and a war in Iraq without a plan for victory. Working together, you and I will keep taxes low, invest in health care, education, and improving our roads, and we'll still generate budget surpluses while paying down the national debt and ensuring that medicare and social security are there for future generations. We'll fight together to pass teacher tenure reform and more funding for special needs classrooms. I'll fight to end the war in Iraq safely and with the honor our troops deserve. We'll make sure the factions in Iraq can care for their own security, and we'll help the Iraqis create a three-state solution to avoid civil war. The President's agenda for the next four years? She has no plan, no vision, and she offers us no hope for a brighter tomorrow" - Carol Moseley Braun

April 25, 2008 - Dole calls for a national sales tax holiday, $200 billion tax increase to pay for projected budget shortfall in FY'09

WASHINGTON, DC - In response to a weakened U.S. economy and a projected $200 billion deficit in 2009, President Elizabeth Dole called on congress to fund a six-month sales tax holiday for states through sending aid to states. She also called for a $200 billion tax increase to pay for a projected $200 billion deficit in 2009. Dole's tax plan would hike taxes on incomes above $200,000 per year to pre-Kean era levels, while also rolling back the capital gains tax reduction President Kean signed into law in 1997.

April 29, 2008 - Speaker Watts opposes Dole on taxes, congress votes down Dole proposal after Democrats are divided

WASHINGTON, DC - In a vote of 200-235, the U.S. House of Representatives voted down President Dole's proposed sales tax holiday and tax increase. House Speaker JC Watts opposed the measure, stating that the President should reduce taxes, not increase them, during a time of economic decline. The measure was sponsored in the house by House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-MD). Of the 200 members who supported the measure, 160 were Democrats and 40 were Republicans. Democratic Presidential Hopeful Carol Moseley Braun urged Democrats in congress to oppose the measure.

May 5, 2008 - Dole signs Watts compromise tax reform into law

WASHINGTON, DC - President Elizabeth Dole signed a bi-partisan bill into law, written by House Speaker JC Watts (R-OK) and Senate Minority Leader Al Gore (D-TN) which included in it a $150 billion package reducing the employee portion of the payroll tax for a year, while also sending aid to states for a four month sales tax holiday into law. The bill also sent an additional $15 billion in funding for worker re-training programs back to states. In an effort to avoid raising taxes to pay for a projected $200 billion deficit in 2009, the new law also froze non-defense discretionary spending at FY2008 budget levels and reduced aid to states by 15% for an eighteen-month period, with an exemption for education, veterans care, medicare, and medicaid.

June 1, 2008 - Dole announces surge of 12,000 forces in Iraq, Braun calls for a "three state solution"

WASHINGTON, DC - President Elizabeth Dole announced that 12,000 additional U.S. troops would be sent to Iraq to help "speed the process of training the Iraqis to care for their own security." The President expressed confidence in the administration's strategy. Democratic Presidential Hopeful Carol Moseley Braun said that while she supported the surge, she believed that the "only long term solution in Iraq is to divide the country in three parts so each ethnic group can have their own territory, which will reduce the likelihood of civil war."

July 17, 2008 - Braun picks Carper as running-mate

DOVER, DE - Democratic Presidential Candidate Carol Moseley Braun announced that Senator Tom Carper of Delaware would be her running-mate in the 2008 presidential election. Carper, a former two-term Governor and 2000 Democratic Presidential Candidate, was elected to the U.S. Senate in 2000 and re-elected in 2006. "In Tom Carper, I see an experienced and proven leader who cares more about results than ideology" Braun said. Carper is best known for having broke with his party in support of the "Cap Federal Spending Act" supported by President Elizabeth Dole and House Speaker JC Watts.

August 5, 2008 - Sen. Tom Carper accepts Democratic Presidential Nomination

"What brings us here, to this convention hall, and to this moment in our nation's history is not bitterness, nor anger, nor pessimism because our party hasn't won a national election since 1992. What motivates us is hope for the future, the American dream that will be reclaimed, and the optimism we all share. Governor Braun and I have seen this administration promise and promise our citizens better. They have not delivered, they have not lived up to our expectations, and we know that mediocrity is not what people are looking for. Carol Moseley Braun and I believe that we should keep taxes low, balance the budget, pay into social security and medicare, and pay down the debt. But, we also believe that instead of giving more tax breaks to big business and low interest loans to large corporations, we should instead provide every child in America with health insurance, increase local aid to education and demand accountability in the classroom through tenure reform, and we believe in investing in our infrastructure. We don't believe in broken promises, but in new beginnings" - Tom Carper, accepting Democratic Vice Presidential Nomination

August 6, 2008 - Carol Moseley Braun accepts Democratic Presidential Nomination

"Four years ago, the President told Americans she would be a good steward of the prosperity that was ours. I'm not afraid to say it my fellow Democrats, President Kean did a good job as President of the United States. What this President promised us was more of the same. But growth was replaced by stagnation, surpluses have been replaced by projected budget gaps, record home ownership has been replaced by the most foreclosures in two decades, and leadership was replaced by politics. In Illinois, I've done things differently. I worked with Republicans and Democrats to add 7,000 police to our streets, to sign the largest tax relief in the history of our state, to reform teacher tenure and double aid for education and special needs classrooms, we expanded health care access to all of our uninsured children, and we reformed our welfare system by requiring work even before the federal government does. As President of the United States, I will be a decisive and determined executive. To help our economy, I will fight to reduce taxes on 80% of American businesses, to invest in rebuilding our infrastructure, and I'll fight for teacher tenure reform and more educational aid so the workforce of tomorrow has the skills these times and future times demand. To help increase health care access for our children, I'll expand SCHIP and mandate that health care companies offer affordable plans for lower-income families and their children if they want to provide coverage across state lines. In Iraq, I offer Americans fresh credibility. Whether or not you supported the decision to go into Iraq, we are there, but this administration has no plan, no strategy, and no credibility to see the mission through. I'll train the Iraqis to provide for their own security, and I'll fight so each faction has their own territory as to avoid Civiil War. We need a President who is a leader, who has vision, and who can bring people together, and that's the kind of President I intend to be" - Carol Moseley Braun, accepting Democratic Presidential Nomination
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2014, 10:12:39 PM »

August 27, 2008 - Hutchison accepts GOP Vice Presidential Nomination
"Over the last four years, we have joined together as a nation to preserve the economic growth and broad prosperity of the 1990s. We have moved forward with unity and resolve. Our record is clear. We've cut taxes on working families and employers, we have added police to our streets which has helped reduce crime to it's lowest level in 40 years, we've invested in green energy tax credits which has helped pave the way for a promising alternative energy sector, we've invested in our roads and bridges, we have placed spending caps on congress, and we overthrew a brutal dictator while liberating 25 million people and making the world safer. Despite this record, and despite the fact that unemployment and poverty today are lower than they were just 12 years ago, Americans are uncertain about the future. The economic growth we saw from 1998 until 2007 has slowed. The future seems questionable, and Americans are skeptical of big government. The President and I will run on our record. We pledge to keep taxes low, move towards energy independence, invest in our infrastructure, ensure that we re-train displaced workers, and we'll continue to fight for choice and accountability in education. Our opponents have a very different view. They have a different record. In Illinois, Governor Braun increased state spending 25% above the rate of inflation. She raised taxes on half the largest businesses in her state. She increased economic regulations in her state, including banning natural gas exploration and mandating that businesses handed over their financial records to her Treasury Department. These times don't demand big government, they demand limited government and personal responsibility" - Vice President Kay Bailey Hutchison

August 28, 2008 - President Dole accepts Republican Presidential Nomination

"As President of the United States, I have had to make tough decisions. The American people have come together to support our agenda, an agenda which has sought to make government more accountable and more efficient. Between capping federal spending, cutting taxes, investing in our highways and roadways, enacting tough ethics reform, and taking on crime in our communities, Americans have become safer and better assured that government is on their side. However, the people of this country don't want an activist government, they want a government which works for them, not the other way around. In a second term, I'll fight to block-grant programs such as housing vouchers, agricultural subsidies, and funding for the arts back to the states. I'll fight to keep your taxes low and to ensure congress lives by the federal spending caps and ethics reform legislation we've implemented. More tough, yet necessary, decisions are going to have to be made. But, the toughest decision I've made as your President has already been made. For more than 15 years, Saddam Hussein posed a threat to the entire world. He defied the United States and our allies on numerous occasions. He committed war crimes against his own people. Today, my fellow citizens, Iraq is a free country, and the United States is safer and better off because of it, as is the world. Now, as we train the Iraqis to care for their own security, we have an obligation to ensure we are successful not just for Iraq, but so the United States can have a stable ally in a troubled region. I commit to you, as President of the United States, I'll get the job done. I'm proud of the heroism and patriotism of our brave men and women in uniform. It's an honor to lead the greatest nation on this earth, and it's an honor to be the commander-in-cheif for the greatest force for good on earth, the United States and our armed forces. My opponent agrees with me that the United States is the greatest force for good. Her place in our history is unquestioned. But, her record and positions leave a lot to be desired. In the U.S. Senate, Carol Moseley Braun voted against tax relief on 47 different occasions, she voted to increase taxes 7 times, she opposed a ban on earmarks, she voted against funding for our intelligence community, and she voted against funding for border security. As a Governor, Carol Moseley Braun raised taxes, increased spending, slashed funding for worker re-training programs, and signed into law the largest one-state government-run health care plan in the nation. Today, Carol Moseley Braun can't decide where she stands on Iraq. She said she was for the war despite having voted against the Gulf War. Six months later, she said she might have misspoke about Iraq. Then, she claimed she supported a surge in Iraq. After that, she said she supported a three-state solution. Now, she says it doesn't matter what she thought in the beginning, yet she supports a three-state solution and opposed the surge. My fellow citizens, now is not a time for indecisive leadership, it's time for an experienced commander-in-cheif to get the job done" - President Elizabeth Dole

September 2, 2008 - Poll: Braun takes big lead, Dole approval below 50% for first time

Presidential Race
Carol Moseley Braun 48%
Elizabeth Dole 41%

Dole Approval
Approve: 48%
Disapprove: 47%

September 15, 2008 - Source: Watts won't seek re-election as Speaker

WASHINGTON, DC - An anonymous source close to House Speaker JC Watts said that the Oklahoma Congressman would not seek another term as Speaker. The source said that Watts, a close ally of President Tom Kean who was an early supporter of President Elizabeth Dole, was disappointed with President Dole, and was "fed up" with Washington politics.

October 4, 2008 - Dole, Braun participate in domestic policy Presidential Debate

"My opponent has run around the country trying to convince the American people that our economy is already in recession. The last six months have challenged the American economy, and my administration has taken action with congress to prevent a recession. But, here are the facts. Unemployment, poverty, and foreclosures are still lower today than they were 12 years ago when the Democrats last occupied the White House. My administration has reduced taxes by $315 billion, we've implemented federal spending caps, and we've freed up access to credit for small businesses seeking to expand. We've encouraged green energy and we've invested in our nation's infrastructure. Over the last 12 years, Americans have created 20 million jobs, and incomes are up over $4,000 - that's 40% more than in the 12 year period prior. In a second term, we'll force congress to live by the federal spending cap they passed, we'll keep taxes low and work to again cut taxes on small businesses, we'll move our country towards energy independence by allowing for more off-shore drilling and encouraging solar, wind, and natural gas technologies." - Elizabeth Dole

"This year was the worst year for job growth in 13 years, we have the highest level of foreclosures in a decade, and median wages have remained flat for the first time since the recession in 1991. The President has called for a massive tax increase on our families to pay for a projected deficit she created by not paying for our mission in Iraq. We aren't heading in the right direction. As President, I will keep taxes low. I'll pay for social security and medicare. I'll invest in health care, education, and in debt reduction. The best way to close next year's budget gap is by curbing federal spending. So, I have proposed not re-hiring all civilian employees who are retiring this year, freezing salary increases for the top 20% of the federal workforce, cutting agricultural subsidies for farms making over $150,000 per year, and slowing the growth of, but not stopping the growth of, our military. I haven't ruled out a tax increase on those earning above $500,000 per year, but I recognize that that's a risk during recession. To grow our economy, I have said I'll create a permanent 20% tax reduction on small business, increase green energy tax credits, support infrastructure investments, and invest in worker re-training for displaced workers. I’ll also fight to raise the minimum wage, support tax credits for hiring people off of unemployment, and champion R&D tax credits. Together, we’ll avoid recession and return to growth” – Carol Moseley Braun

“As Governor of Illinois, I took on the political establishment of both parties in the area of education. I took on Democrats and won passage of historic teacher tenure reform in our state. Illinois has the toughest regulations in terms of how we award tenure in the nation, we doubled the time in which a teacher could receive tenure. I took on Republicans and called for, and implemented, the most funding for education in state history. As President, I’ll continue to support school choice, but I’ll also fight for tenure reform, more funding for special education classrooms, and I’ll set a goal for America’s colleges: we will increase the number of the poorest, yet highest achieving students in America who are admitted to colleges by 15% over the next eight years with the help of scholarships, more funding, and pell grants” – Carol Moseley Braun

“My administration has presided over the implementation of the work President Kean and I did in the area of expanding school choice. School funding at the federal level has increased by 25% over the last 12 years, the number of students in charter schools has increased by 7% in that time period, and the number of students in private institutions is at it’s highest level since 1955 today. Test scores have continued to increase and the achievement gap between white and minority students has closed to the lowest gap in history. My administration will continue to support school choice and we’ll sustain the level of state aid towards education we’ve enjoyed over the last 12 years. My opponent increased the size of her state’s Department of Education by 40% and in the U.S. Senate, she voted against a national voucher system twice. In terms of higher education, my administration has increased the use of business supported scholarships, and today 505,000 kids have gone to college on such scholarships, we’ll continue to support the program going forward” – Elizabeth Dole

dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2015, 11:18:55 PM »

October 10, 2008 – Hutchison, Carper participate in Vice Presidential Debate

“Right now, what we lack in Washington is leadership. Elizabeth Dole and Kay Hutchison inherited a strong economy and relative peace. Today, we find ourselves slowing in terms of economic growth, and we are engaged in a war that I supported, but which now has been mismanaged by the current administration. Carol Moseley Braun and I will bring new leadership to the executive branch after four years of broken promises and missed opportunities. Governor Braun and I believe that by investing in our roads and bridges, supporting green energy, and supporting worker re-training and accountability in education, we’ll help grow our economy long term. We know that cutting taxes on small business while expanding health care access for the poorest children in America will help working families find good jobs without having to worry about affording health insurance for their kids. The current administration has ignored the experts who say we aren’t implementing green energy tax credits, SCHIP, or infrastructure investments properly. This administration promised sound economic management four years ago, they’ve failed to deliver. In Iraq, Governor Braun and I will ensure that Iraqis care for their own security and that civil war is avoided. Our opponents believe that the status-quo is acceptable, we won’t accept anything less than victory in Iraq” – Tom Carper

“For the last four years, President Dole and I have implemented an ambitious agenda beneficial to the American people. We’ve implemented federal spending caps, tough ethics reform, tax relief for small businesses and workers, and we have made the world safer by toppling a brutal dictator in Iraq. Another term gives us more opportunities to reduce taxes, invest in education and in our roads, continue to stop congress from over borrowing and over spending, and we’ll continue to train the Iraqis to care for their own security. The truth is, our opponents have a very different view. They support forcing a political agreement on Iraq, which the United States can not properly enforce. They support $400 billion in new spending, and they have not talked about how to pay for it other than to say they might raise your taxes. Americans deserve leadership that is willing to tell you the truth, the ways in which to confront our challenges, and decisive leadership which puts country before ideology” – Kay Bailey Hutchison

October 19, 2008 – Presidential Candidates debate foreign policy

“For 15 years, Saddam Hussein defied the international community. The United States and our allies invested resources to ensure that Saddam Hussein did not manufacture weapons of mass destruction. President Kean implemented a series of sanctions which forced Saddam to comply, for a period of five years, with weapons inspectors. What we learned in 2004 was that Saddam lied to inspectors about those weapons. We found out through a still classified source that Saddam hid weapons underground. We are still seeking out those weapons today. I made the toughest decision a President has to make, I declared war on Saddam Hussein knowing the potential risk, but knowing that he threatened world stability and American security. We overthrew a brutal dictator who will stand trial for crimes against humanity. Today, we are in the process of creating a secure Iraq. We need to stay the course, we are making progress, and the senate report which came out just seven weeks ago proves it” – Elizabeth Dole

“The President and I agree on the issue of Iraq. I was warning that Saddam Hussein was a threat to world stability and our security for a decade before we entered Iraq. I supported the President’s invasion of Iraq, I oppose the notion that we are simply going to train the Iraqis as one unified state to protect their own security. I believe that the Sunnis, Shiites, and Kurds should each have an equal area of land to control. These factions have historically been in conflict, and I fear civil war if we don’t allow each faction to control their own land and destiny. I think in addition, ensuring rights for women and public safety are also important for Iraq. But, both the President and I agree that the world is better off with Saddam Hussein out of power” – Carol Moseley Braun

“We have achieved increasing the size of our military to 1989 levels between 1997 and 2007, and I’m proud of that. I have said that we need to set a new goal of increasing the size of our military by 25,000 troops over a six-year period. That was the recommendation of the Joints Chiefs of Staff last year. My opponent has been critical of this proposal and has said she would only increase the size of our armed forces by 12,000 in eight years. That’s an outdated number and an outdated proposal. Additionally, my opponent has called for a freeze in funding for intelligence gathering operations. My administration has doubled funding for intelligence gathering operations and we will continue to support such missions” – Elizabeth Dole

“Our military, as a percentage of our population, is the largest it’s been in the history of our country. We spend $500 billion more on defense today than we did in 1995. I crossed party lines and voted for three of four Tom Kean budgets during his first term, all of which increased defense spending by between 12 and 15 percent. I voted for Tom Kean’s Military Expansion Act, which increased the number of troops in our armed forces to 1989 levels by 2007. I also have voted to increase funding for intelligence gathering on eight different occasions. What I have said is, this President’s calls for more funding aren’t paid for, haven’t been requested by military leaders, and our focus should be on shrinking duplication within the military and streamlining intelligence gathering operations” – Carol Moseley Braun

October 28, 2008 – Braun, Dole participate in final debate

“My fellow Americans, our country is at a crossroads. We can re-elect President Dole, who has done nothing to help grow our economy, nothing to avoid civil war in Iraq, nothing to raise our minimum wage, nothing to help expand health care access for children, and nothing to close a projected budget gap next year. In Illinois, I reduced taxes, held the line on spending, enacted historic education reform, took on a failing welfare system, and supported anti-crimine iniatives to make our streets safer. I believe in an era where people want government that is effective and limited as John F. Kennedy envisioned in 1960, we need a President who has a proven record of getting things done. I’ll be a bi-partisan President who will fight for tax relief for small businesses, to expand health care access for children, I’ll push for accountability in our education system, and I’ll be the President who succeeds in Iraq while avoiding civil conflict there. I’ll challenge Americans to end our dependence on foreign oil, and I’ll challenge states to invest in infrastructure with state and federal dollars. If you are ready for change, I’m prepared to lead an America where we all can achieve the dream our founders believed in for all of us” – Carol Moseley Braun

“For the last twelve years, I’ve had the honor of serving as Vice President and President of the United States. Working with Congress, we’ve made a great American comeback a reality. Today, taxes are lower, the national debt is lower, there are fewer Americans in poverty, and incomes are higher than they were in 1996. My administration has worked to cut taxes on working families and small businesses, we’ve supported green energy tax credits, we passed a cap on federal spending, and we’ve invested in infrastructure and worker re-training, despite my opponent’s insistence that we’ve failed. On the world stage, we toppled a brutal dictator, have combated genocide in Darfur, and we’ve made economic development in South America a part of our trade policy. This is an important election. Both of us are running on our records. You know mine. My opponent has been on both sides of several tough issues. She hasn’t had to make the tough decisions I’ve had to make. The fact of the matter is, I do have credibility on Iraq because we are succeeding there, and members of congress have reached the same conclusion based on numerous reports. We’ll succeed in Iraq, and we’ll avoid recession here at home” – Elizabeth Dole
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2015, 11:26:20 PM »

November 2, 2008 – Braun wins, GOP keeps Congress

Carol Moseley Braun / Tom Carper (D) 51%
Elizabeth Dole / Kay Bailey Hutchison (R) 48%

Exit Polling
By political party
Republican – Elizabeth Dole 93% Carol Moseley Braun 6%
Democratic – Carol Moseley Braun 94% Elizabeth Dole 5%
Independent – Carol Moseley Braun 49% Elizabeth Dole 49%

By ideology
Conservative – Elizabeth Dole 91% Carol Moseley Braun 8%
Moderate – Carol Moseley Braun 50% Elizabeth Dole 49%
Liberal – Carol Moseley Braun 90% Elizabeth Dole 9%

By income
Less than $30,000 – Carol Moseley Braun 60% Elizabeth Dole 38%
$30,000-$60,000 – Carol Moseley Braun 59% Elizabeth Dole 40%
$60,000-$120,000 – Elizabeth Dole 51% Carol Moseley Braun 48%
$120,000-$250,000 - Elizabeth Dole 57% Carol Moseley Braun 42%
Above $250,000 - Elizabeth Dole 62% Carol Moseley Braun 37%

By ethnicity
White - Elizabeth Dole 60% Carol Moseley Braun 38%
Black – Carol Moseley Braun 99% Elizabeth Dole 0.5%
Hispanic – Carol Moseley Braun 64% Elizabeth Dole 35%
Asian – Carol Moseley Braun 57% Elizabeth Dole 42%
Other – Carol Moseley Braun 65% Elizabeth Dole 34%

By gender
Male – Elizabeth Dole 52% Carol Moseley Braun 47%
Female – Carol Moseley Braun 55% Elizabeth Dole 44%

Five Closest States
Ohio – Carol Moseley Braun 49.8% Elizabeth Dole 49.5%
Nevada – Elizabeth Dole 50% Carol Moseley Braun 49%
Pennsylvania – Carol Moseley Braun 51% Elizabeth Dole 48%
New Hampshire – Carol Moseley Braun 51% Elizabeth Dole 48%
New Mexico – Elizabeth Dole 51% Carol Moseley Braun 48%

Five strongest Elizabeth Dole wins
Kansas – Elizabeth Dole 67% Carol Moseley Braun 32%
South Carolina – Elizabeth Dole 65% Carol Moseley Braun 34%
Louisiana – Elizabeth Dole 64% Carol Moseley Braun 35%
Texas – Elizabeth Dole 62% Carol Moseley Braun 37%
Wyoming – Elizabeth Dole 60% Carol Moseley Braun 38%

Five strongest Carol Moseley Braun wins
California – Carol Moseley Braun 71% Elizabeth Dole 28%
Massachusetts – Carol Moseley Braun 67% Elizabeth Dole 32%
Delaware – Carol Moseley Braun 65% Elizabeth Dole 34%
Rhode Island – Carol Moseley Braun 64% Elizabeth Dole 35%
Illinois – Carol Moseley Braun 61% Elizabeth Dole 38%

Most important issue
Economy 22%
Iraq 20%
Taxes 15%
Foreign Policy 10%
Education 9%
Health Care 7%
National Debt 6%
Trade 2%
Other 9%

Key events of the Braun administration, January 20, 2009 – January 1, 2011
- January 20, 2009 – Carol Moseley Braun and Tom Carper are sworn into the offices of President and Vice President respectively
- February 25, 2009 – House Speaker JC Watts announces he won’t seek re-election in 2010
- March 15, 2009 – President Braun signs into law the Energy Independence Act, doubling tax credits for the expansion of alternative energy business and investment
- June 15, 2009 – President Braun signs into law the Tax Relief & Stimulus Act of 2009, giving a 25% tax reduction on small business while also investing $50 billion in worker re-training and infrastructure improvements
- July 10, 2009 – Economists state the U.S. economy is in recession and has been since October 2008
- October 1, 2009 – Economists declare the economic recession over
- October 15, 2009 – House Speaker JC Watts launches his campaign for Governor of Oklahoma in 2010
- December 1, 2009 – President Braun signs into law the National Tenure Reform Act, mandating that schools receiving federal education aid increase the amount of time required before teacher’s could receive tenure
- January 27, 2010 – President Braun announces that after successfully negotiating an agreement between Sunnis, Shiites, and Kurds in Iraq in terms of who controls what land, the U.S. will be out of Iraq, with the exception of 10,000 residual forces, by December 1, 2010
- March 25, 2010 – President Braun signs into law The SCHIP Expansion Act, which gives states the necessary funds to set up health insurance pools for 100% of low income children presently lacking insurance
- May 21, 2010 – President Braun signs into law the Higher Standards Education Reform Act, increasing aid for special needs students while mandating that schools with a graduation rate of less than 80% are stripped of federal funds and the funding instead goes to parents to send their children a private institution
- July 27, 2010 – President Braun signs the Economic Development Act of 2010 into law, allowing for loan-assistance programs and tax credits to be given to companies which create American jobs
- October 5, 2010 – President Braun signs into law the Welfare Fraud Crackdown Act of 2010, creating a five-year mandatory prison sentence for those who defraud the federal government in collecting welfare payments
- December 17, 2010 – President Braun signs into law the End Drugs Now Act, doubling funding for drug prevention programs in schools and rehabilitation centers

January 12, 2011 - Bohener running for President

LEBANON, OH – House Majority Leader John Boehner announced his entry into the 2012 Republican Presidential Primaries. “President Braun’s economic policies aren’t working for too many Americans. My fellow Republicans and I have fought hard for a broad-based tax reduction on capital gains, to strictly impose the spending caps we implemented a few years ago, and we have tried to reach out to this President  over the rising cost of health care. Americans want leadership which is willing to get things done” Boehner stated. First elected to the U.S. House in 1990, Boehner served as Chairman of the Republican National Committee from 2004-2007 and has been the number two House Republican since 2009.

February 27, 2011 – Hutchison to seek GOP Presidential Nomination

AUSTIN, TX – Former U.S. Vice President Kay Bailey Hutchsion announced her 2012 presidential bid. “Americans want leadership focused more on what’s right for the people of this country than on the politics of the day. As a Governor and Vice President, I fought to find solutions to the challenges those who elected me faced. Today, Americans are worried. They see energy prices continuing to rise even as wages barely keep pace with inflation. They see government spending more on health care, yet costs continue to skyrocket. They see a President announce a withdrawal date from Iraq, yet they see no plan to permanently secure peace in the region. What the people of this country want is experienced leadership ready to tackle the tough issues we face” Hutchison stated. Hutchsion was Governor of Texas from 1995-2005 and served as Vice President of the United States from 2005-2009.

February 15, 2011 – Pataki to run for President

DOVER, NH – Former Governor of New York and 2004 Presidential Candidate George Pataki announced his second white house bid. “What I see today in Washington is too much rhetoric and not enough substance. In New York, we reduced taxes, took on a failing welfare system, and challenged the status-quo in education. These are the types of issues our President promised to tackle four years ago, she has failed. I won’t, and my record states that” Pataki stated. Pataki served as Governor of New York from 1995-2007 and was a 2004 Republican Presidential Candidate.

March 27, 2011 – Keyes running for President

IOWA CITY, IA – Congressman Alan Keyes of Maryland announced he was seeking the 2012 Republican Presidential Nomination. “We conservatives need a champion for abolishing the income tax, outlawing abortion, protecting the public from activist judges, making sure we respect the rights of those who exercise the second amendment, and school choice must be a national priority to improve our education system” Keyes stated. Keyes served as a diplomat in the Reagan administration from 1985-1989 and was first elected to Congress representing a rural Maryland district in 2002, and was re-elected in 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2010.

April 19, 2011 – Gramm to seek Presidency

DALLAS, TX – Former U.S. Secretary of Commerce Phil Gramm declared his intention to seek the Republican Presidential Nomination in 2012. “Our party needs a presidential nominee who will be committed to the economic policies of Tom Kean  and Ronald Reagan, and I intend to be that nominee” Gramm stated. Gramm was in the U.S. Senate from 1983-1998 before serving as Director of the Office of Budget & Management from 1999-2002 and as Secretary of Commerce from 2003-2005, both under President Tom Kean.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies