'Social Suicide' Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 11:30:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  'Social Suicide' Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 'Social Suicide' Thread  (Read 11048 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« on: October 19, 2007, 05:13:02 AM »

Seinfeld is one of the most boring pieces of trash in television hisotry.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 06:38:01 AM »

Radiohead Sucks.
Death Cab Sucks.
Coheed and Cambria Suck.
Baseball is boring as hell.
Ayn Rand's literature is absolute garbage [I get a lot a trouble with this one at school]
I think Sandra Oh is really ugly.
Grey's Anatomy sucks
CSI sucks
South Park sucks
Chapelle's Show sucks
Mind of Mencia sucks
American Idol sucks
All game shows currently running whose names are not Jeopardy and The Price is Right suck
Tom Brady can go to hell
Patriots suck
Dolphins suck, but I still love them
Running sucks

"Thou shalt not put musicians and recording artists on ridiculous pedestals no matter how great they are or were.
The Beatles - Were just a band.
Led Zepplin - Just a band.
The Beach Boys - Just a band.
The Sex Pistols - Just a band.
The Clash - Just a band.
Crass - Just a band.
Minor Threat - Just a band.
The Cure - Were just a band.
The Smiths - Just a band.
Nirvana - Just a band.
The Pixies - Just a band.
Oasis - Just a band.
Radiohead - They're just a band.
Bloc Party - Just a band.
The Arctic Monkeys - Just a band.
The Next Big Thing - Just a band!"

Dan Le Sac vs. Scroobius, Thou Shalt Always Kill. Also says "Thou shalt not take the names of Johnny Cash, Joe Strummer, Johnny Hartman, Desmond Decker, Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix or Syd Barrett in vain.", but there is no 'thou shalt not be hypocritical", so I huess that's OK.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 02:01:43 PM »

i started coming out today, and i live in texas.  that's social suicide sometimes!

Just noticed this. Good for you, if it makes you feel better to be out.

Melbourne is a remarkably accepting place and so I have felt comfortable here, although at 15 I was scared. I still haven't come out to my family.

When I moved to Canberra for uni, I moved into a student residence. It has 320 students, is run by the Dominicans and has a reputation as being the loudest, blokiest college on campus.

On my first day, I didn't know that. I had decided that in my new city I would be totally open about my sexuality, and so when the topic of girls was raised when I was playing pool with a couple of later-year ressies, I came out to them. The two guys were THE most blokey-bloke of the bunch; the head of the boy's club and his deputy.

They were actually pretty cool with it; in fact, one of them saw another guy who lived at the college walking past and said to me "Hey, I'm pretty sure that guy is gay, I'll go and get him". He came back with 'Adam', who was in the closet but so effete that suspicion was inevitable (he came out mid-year, and then left the college). He wasn't my type, but the event made me feel more comfortable about being out at college and since then i've been 100% out. when I later found out who those two were, I almost shat myself! Still, it was done and if it was ever to be pulled back, it would have been impossible once those two knew.

After 'Adam' left (and for most of the time he was there) I was the only open non-het there. Out of 320 people. Did it affect people's opinions of me? I'm fairly sure that it did. I know there are other non-hets there, but none have decided to come out, which is their right of course, but it is frustrating.

In the second semester I got involved with ANU Queer and it's social wing, the 'Jellybabies'. I'm not a militant homosexual or anything, and I enjoy the presence of many close straight friends in my life, but I very much enjoy being able to spend time with gay guiys, bi guys, bi girls, lesbians, a trans and a few ?s. I learnt some stuff, I met some drop-dead gorgeous guys, and I found a space where I could be totally relaxed about my sexuality at uni.

Being out does affect your social standing. It opens possibilities to new friendships if that's what you want, and also closes doors-but if someone doesn't want to know you because of your sexuality, they're probably not worth knowing.

By living as the only representative of an often misunderstood and occasionally persecuted minority in an environment like college, I saw some bad elements of people who lived with me. I only had two serious issues (). I also had a lot of positive responses, some from surprising sources, suh as the two guys at the pool table.

I wish you the best in the new angle of your life. Being 'bent' might not take you down the road of the majority, but who wants that when the alternate path feels right, and opens up some amazing new vistas?

I'm happier now than I have ever been. I hope the same for you.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies