just from personal experience
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 06:22:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  just from personal experience
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: just from personal experience  (Read 1056 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 05, 2007, 01:53:02 AM »

Evidence that Man are more philosophical then Women? History is a dangerous reference given the proportion in western culture of educated men to educated women.

I want you to consider you're various friendships with men and women-stuff like spirituality, what human nature is, epistomology, and political philosophy: do you generally tend to talk about it with your guy friends more or female friends?

I'd say guy friends and when I talk to women about the same thing it's generally 'smile and nod' kinda reactions.  Mind you there's absolutely nothing wrong with this, but it's a generalization in my life I've come to know.

And yes, I know many of you will say there's exceptions-no I'm not denying that...  Roll Eyes
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 03:12:26 AM »

Maybe you just tend to hang around with stupid women. Personally, I've found the proportion of receptiveness to be either the same, or a tiny bit higher on the female side--but not very important at that.
I suggest, if you want to discuss that with women, that you try to meet some philosophy majors.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 05:09:44 AM »

Maybe you just tend to hang around with stupid women.

Heh, that's what I thought. MaC, women I know tend to be intelligent, highly informed, and passionate about ideology and current events. If anything, female participation tends to be somewhat more intense than it is among their male counterparts... although there is no major difference. I agree with Bono on this.

And, no offense, someone implicitly claiming intellectual superiority should be able to spell "epistemology."
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 07:17:32 AM »

Heh, that's what I thought.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 08:56:21 AM »

I concur with Bono here.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 12:10:15 PM »

Heh, that's what I thought. MaC, women I know tend to be intelligent, highly informed, and passionate about ideology and current events. If anything, female participation tends to be somewhat more intense than it is among their male counterparts... although there is no major difference. I agree with Bono on this.

And, no offense, someone implicitly claiming intellectual superiority should be able to spell "epistemology."

lol, I'm not superior, I just find it rare women talk about philosophy.  I'll admit that typo was a bit embarrass...
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 12:17:40 PM »

As others have said I guess you hang out with dumb women.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 12:18:58 PM »

lol, I'm not superior, I just find it rare women talk about philosophy.

That's funny, because I find it rare men talk about philosophy.  They're all too busy drinking beer and watching sports.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 12:23:52 PM »

My closest friend is female and a liberal; she got my refereces to Dante.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 03:17:28 PM »

None of the women/girls I am friends with cares a lick about current events or history or politics or anything like that.  Basically all of my male friends don't either, but perhaps a few of them care slightly more.  Not that this is a relevant sample, but I just figured I'd throw my own anecdote in here.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 03:24:05 PM »

My male friends tend to differ. Most of them are as interested in politics/history as I am, although there are a couple of them that are rather apathetic.

I only hang out with a couple of females on a regular basis. One of them is interested in politics while the other is not.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 11:07:04 PM »

Maybe you just tend to hang around with stupid women. Personally, I've found the proportion of receptiveness to be either the same, or a tiny bit higher on the female side--but not very important at that.
I suggest, if you want to discuss that with women, that you try to meet some philosophy majors.

I did more than meet female philosphy majors ... I married one. Smiley
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 01:12:33 AM »

lol, I'm not superior, I just find it rare women talk about philosophy.

That's funny, because I find it rare men talk about philosophy.  They're all too busy drinking beer and watching sports.

that annoys me also
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 10:53:23 AM »

Men more often have interests in things, partly because we're more encouraged to develop them (while girls are encouraged to drop whatever interests they have when they reach their teens). So men often have more of an area where they know a lot. Of course, that area doesn't have to be, and seldom is, philosophy or anything like that. It's usually sports or cars or something like that.

I'm taking philosophy right now and there is a clear male majority, maybe 60%. And the men taking it seem more interested than most of the girls too. But as others have pointed out it depends a lot on who you are with. My girlfriend takes philosphy too for instance.

But, yeah, my experience, personally, tends to be that women, though equally capable of understanding such issues, simply lack the interest to discuss them the way at least some men do. But, as in most cases, this isn't a very good predictor of course. Individual variances are much greater than those between the sexes. Actually, my most philosphical friend is a girl too, come to think of it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies