Illinois lawmakers are huge hypocrites and want to ban Delta-8
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 11:19:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Illinois lawmakers are huge hypocrites and want to ban Delta-8
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Illinois lawmakers are huge hypocrites and want to ban Delta-8  (Read 408 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 24, 2024, 12:26:54 PM »

https://news.wttw.com/2024/04/13/illinois-lawmakers-cannabis-industry-call-ban-delta-8-and-other-psychoactive-hemp

Of course the real reason for this is the cannabis industry sucks like any big business and wants to eliminate any competition.

“It is deeply disheartening and, frankly, a betrayal by the state to allow these shops to pop up and call themselves dispensaries,” Ron Miller, a co-owner of his family-run Navada Labs and BLYSS Dispensary in Mt. Vernon, said at a Capitol news conference Thursday.
Cry me a f[inks]ing river. Sounds like Ron Miller is just a moron businessman who probably makes sh!t product.

And for the industry’s lead lobbying group, the Cannabis Business Association of Illinois, delta-8 represents other threats, including continued reports of Americans getting sick after consuming unregulated products, and the growing efforts to market delta-8 to young people.
THIS IS LITERAL REEFER MADNESS. THIS IS THE EXACT SAME STUPID PROPAGANDA SH!T PEOPLE SAID ABOUT WEED YOU WORTHLESS F[INKS]ING IMBECILES.

Luckily this will NOT happen in Minnesota which already has a pretty enshrined law that will allow for such products to continue to be sold in record stores, mall kiosks, gas stations, liquor stores and bars and a strong lobby to keep it in place.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 12:27:41 PM »

MJ is legal, why would anyone want that trash?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 12:29:26 PM »

I am not for a ban, but if the state legalized real pot, no reason to use D8s. I have more of a problem with states that have not legalized pot trying to ban D8/D9.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 12:30:31 PM »

It's not trash. It works just as well. And because buying it is way more convenient. Dispensaries are a f[inks]ing pain to deal with, buying this is just as easy as buying alcohol.

And if it really was trash that absolutely no one would want to buy...well then what's the point of banning it? No one would buy it, so stores would stop selling it, and it would all become moot.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2024, 12:31:01 PM »

I am not for a ban, but if the state legalized real pot, no reason to use D8s. I have more of a problem with states that have not legalized pot trying to ban D8/D9.
I already explained above why. D8 also has some uses where it works better than D9, like mixed with CBN for sleep products.

But again why not just let the market decide? If there was no reason to use it, then no one would buy it, and then no one would sell it.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2024, 12:36:59 PM »

It's not trash. It works just as well. And because buying it is way more convenient. Dispensaries are a f[inks]ing pain to deal with, buying this is just as easy as buying alcohol.

And if it really was trash that absolutely no one would want to buy...well then what's the point of banning it? No one would buy it, so stores would stop selling it, and it would all become moot.

It’s trash designed to give lower class clientele an inferior product.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2024, 12:40:10 PM »

How is it inferior? It has the exact same effect as comparable size D9 doses whenever I've used it. The only "inferior" thing would be that the dosage needed is higher but it's also sold in comparable dosages anyway, a D8 gummy is going to be about 15mg as opposed to a 5mg D9, so there's no difference in effect, a gummy is a gummy.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2024, 01:01:00 PM »

I’m all for legal weed/ THC, but Delta-8 needs to be safely regulated in the same way as Delta-9 products. The problem with the current situation in most states is that Delta-8 was basically only accidentally legalized (even in states where regular old weed is still illegal) so it’s the Wild West when it comes to selling the stuff.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2024, 01:34:35 PM »

I’m all for legal weed/ THC, but Delta-8 needs to be safely regulated in the same way as Delta-9 products. The problem with the current situation in most states is that Delta-8 was basically only accidentally legalized (even in states where regular old weed is still illegal) so it’s the Wild West when it comes to selling the stuff.
A ban is going well beyond simple regulation.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2024, 01:44:08 PM »

the Illinois voter is exactly as smart as the posters in this thread it seems
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2024, 02:01:33 PM »

D8 itself is ass, basically just makes me feels kind of off, way weaker than regular THC. However, as someone living in a state where the only legal option is crazy overpriced medical dispensary stuff, altnoids in general are great. I am concerned about the rampant smoke shop boof being passed off as legit products though, because those products are completely unsafe and are being deliberately marketed to kids and teenagers who don’t know any better. The industry needs to actually be regulated.

As long as people stick to legit brands (3chi + subsidiaries, HC8, Gilded Extracts), there is nothing unsafe about alternative cannabinoids. That being said, the real stuff is better than all of it, so if I had easier access to decently-priced real stuff, I don’t think I’d ever touch alts again.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2024, 02:03:00 PM »

That sounds no different from a bunch of other stuff that's legal
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2024, 02:04:01 PM »

And anyway it sounds like this is just a regulatory capture movement
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2024, 09:53:47 PM »

the Illinois voter is exactly as smart as the posters in this thread it seems
Yes it's interesting that no one has a response to the point that the market can handle this easily. If this stuff is really so bad and there's no reason to use it if weed is fully legal, then obviously no one would buy it. And if no one is buying it, why would any place bother to sell it?
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2024, 09:55:52 PM »

Good. One well regulated, tested and licensed dispensary is better than 10 corner smoke shops any day.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2024, 05:06:37 PM »
« Edited: April 25, 2024, 05:14:42 PM by I spent the winter writing songs about getting better »

Good. One well regulated, tested and licensed dispensary is better than 10 corner smoke shops any day.
Do you seriously think I'm going to drop dead or something because of using product from the (well over) 10 such shops in my neighborhood (although they're not really smoke shops, just places that sell THC, ranging from also record stores, coffee shops and even a hair salon)? And if not, what's the problem? What harm are they causing?

And would you seriously buy from such a place over said shops if (like in Minnesota currently) their prices were at least 5x as much?

I don't know if the prices in Illinois are that high, but they are still infamously quite expensive. Hence one reason why people are buying this, it's way cheaper.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2024, 11:46:33 PM »

Do you seriously think I'm going to drop dead or something because of using product from the (well over) 10 such shops in my neighborhood (although they're not really smoke shops, just places that sell THC, ranging from also record stores, coffee shops and even a hair salon)? And if not, what's the problem? What harm are they causing?

And would you seriously buy from such a place over said shops if (like in Minnesota currently) their prices were at least 5x as much?

I don't know if the prices in Illinois are that high, but they are still infamously quite expensive. Hence one reason why people are buying this, it's way cheaper.

Nope. Never said that. You extrapolate to things someone never said, and then roll /w it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2024, 11:56:34 PM »

Nope. Never said that. You extrapolate to things someone never said, and then roll /w it.
The extrapolation is just trying to figure out the logic here. And besides even if that statement is true, why is a ban needed? Why not just let the market handle it if people have no reason to buy such things from those smoke shops? Because if everyone stopped buying then nowhere would sell it.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2024, 09:48:12 AM »

We're really lucky that public opinion on weed shifted so dramatically when it did. Americans, right and left, are going all in on nanny-state authoritarianism right now. Anything that could be dangerous needs to be banned. Anything that doesn't meet their standards needs to be banned. Anything that offends them needs to be banned. I think it'll get worse for a while before it gets better.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2024, 11:20:17 PM »

I think this is one of the bigger issues that people aren't really realizing, at least in terms of the general public. While we do have 24 states where recreational marijuana is legal, there are also 24 separate regimes in place that vary wildly. An imperfect legal system is better than nothing at all, but it does sometimes mask the issues. Some states have have taken regulation way too far, while others imposing astronomical taxes and fees (at all stages, not just at the point of sale to the consumer). When people want recreational marijuana in their state, I think what they want is a regulated and safe product accessible only to those of age and at a reasonable price (including reasonable tax rates and fees). In many states, this is not the case.

From what I've read, Michigan seems to be the gold standard (or at least one of them).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies