Missouri/Yale protests (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:52:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Missouri/Yale protests (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Missouri/Yale protests  (Read 5943 times)
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« on: November 14, 2015, 02:24:37 PM »
« edited: November 14, 2015, 02:34:17 PM by bagelman »

I will say, though, that a lot of these campus groups are rolling out demands and politics that are essentially impossible for them or anyone in their purview to address. Demanding people "acknowledge their white male privilege" is petty and does little to actually help disadvantaged minorities other than make them feel superior for five seconds. In a quote from that Atlantic article re: Yale, someone saying, "I don't want a debate, I want to discuss my pain" - what pain? You go to an Ivy League school that's produced at least two Presidents I can think of off the top of my head, as well as the incumbent Secretary of State! You have more advantages than 90% of people from your background!

This is why the SJW movement has such a bad reputation. These people feel their racial "disadvantages" (what little it means in affluent New England) is more important than their huge class advantages. If you're a wealthy rich kid lecturing me about how oppressed you are, my first instinct is to be pissed at you.

That being said, I don't disagree with the protesters on everything. If frat boys are going to go out and shout "No means Yes" they deserve plenty of backlash. Frankly I think that we'd be better off if Greek Houses all just died off, they serve no purpose other than to establish networks of cronies preventing more competent people from ascending the social ladder.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 07:14:55 PM »

Brat. If that was my kid, I'd give him a good telling.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies