Belgian elections 25th May, 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:08:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Belgian elections 25th May, 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Belgian elections 25th May, 2014  (Read 9617 times)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2014, 04:00:21 AM »

Belgium is a curious example of how a country can function without actually needing a 'functional' government. In fact, the country was functioning quite well with an acting government government between June 2010 and December 2011. I don't know why people insist in dismantling such a lovely nation Sad
EPG
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2014, 06:51:10 AM »

It is not clear to me that Belgium's difficulties in creating a federal government in recent years have harmed Belgians' quality of life. We often forget their powerful sub-national governments. When they've really needed federal action, they've overcome their divisions to implement policy, like the banking crises late last decade.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2014, 07:07:16 AM »
« Edited: September 06, 2014, 07:45:35 AM by politicus »

It is not clear to me that Belgium's difficulties in creating a federal government in recent years have harmed Belgians' quality of life. We often forget their powerful sub-national governments. When they've really needed federal action, they've overcome their divisions to implement policy, like the banking crises late last decade.

True. It would just be easier and simpler to drop the one country pretense and make it a loose confederation with a small council responsible for implementing common policies agreed by the three parlaments in the constituent parts.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2014, 10:41:44 AM »

By the way: Do there exist any polls, asking the Wallons to choose betweem an independent Wallonia or being part of France?
There has been, yes. I don't remember the results, but they were quite spread out iirc. They should date back from 2010-11 when they had no federal government. Wiki's your friend.
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2014, 01:54:49 PM »

Belgium could get its first female PM

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.english/News/140905_belgium-government-prime-minister
GAworth
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2014, 02:10:36 PM »

It is impressive to me that the FDF got 13% in Brussels, I lived there for a short time back in 2012 and they were becoming a force, but I still can't believe they have become that strong, said to see the polarization continue.
Also, anyone know the results by region in Brussels, particularly Uccle or Ixelles?

FDF are the only reason MR won in BHV in  2007. That was a pretty shocking election result considering Brussels' working class districts made it a PS stronghold for many a year. When scission of BHV was discussed pretty much any free minded centre-left voter who didn't want to end up in Flanders voted for them.

I think today Bruxselwa are really feeling hard done by by their parents - and in particular its surrounding provinces Walloon and Flemish Brabant - who constantly dump sh**t on them like the Zaventem flight plan and the fact that people who live in low-tax areas like the two Brabants work in Brussels, clogged up their roads and paid nothing to the Brussels regional government for it. Once FDF divorced itself from MR it was allowed to criticise the party's constant favoritism towards the Brabant Wallon elite (without which MR would be nowhere near the scores they are currently getting) and the suggestion that Brussels could become ''The Berlin of Belgium'' co-governed by two outside powers that Bruxselwa refuse to associate themselves with : Flanders and Wallonia. Even if Maingain wants closer ties with Wallonia, he isn't afraid to criticise the status quo in both regions.

Also, FDF presented itself as a centrist and social liberal alternative. The other centrists CDH (usually quite strong in places like Ixelles) lost a good deal of support due to the Wathelet flight plan. I know many students (those with critical minds and that don't vote for their parents' pillar) who deserted the 3 traditional parties for either FDF or PTB-Go! because their socio-economic plans actually offered something interesting yet feasable.

I voted FDF because I hate modern Flemish nationalism and I hate the 3 traditional parties. Because I live in Brabant Wallon (but consider myself as Bruxselwa) I wasn't going to waste my vote on PTB. It's like Chabrol's favorite line when it comes to politics : ''Je vote Communiste á Neuilly''

By the way: Do there exist any polls, asking the Wallons to choose betweem an independent Wallonia or being part of France?

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rattachisme#Situation_actuelle_dans_l.27opinion

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's only in case Belgium collapses. We have the RWF party which is rattachiste and it gets a token 3% every election day from the hardline francophiles.. 

Magnette (PS president) actually suggested that Wallonia could be part of a Federal Germany provided they receive full linguistic rights.  Considering the strong links between the two PSs that is a big statement.

Thanks for that, greatly appreciated.
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2014, 09:29:49 AM »

With regards to who should be the PM

http://blogs.wsj.com/brussels/2014/09/16/belgium-government-talks-on-home-straight/
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2014, 01:02:44 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2014, 03:54:14 PM by Diouf »

The government negotiations have finished. Charles Michel of the liberal Mouvement Réformateur will be the next PM. He will be the first French-speaking liberal to be PM since Paul-Emile Janson in 1937

One part of the government programme is a pension reform: http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.english/Politics/141007_Negotiations_pensions

http://www.france24.com/en/20141007-belgium-centre-right-reaches-coalition-deal-government/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2014, 01:30:43 AM »

That MR as the only Wallon party would nominate the PM was expectable.

Had N-VA not been a seperatist party they would have had the choice of PM.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies